Mon Feb 4 2019 09:44:17

eBay Does Not Make Mistakes; Seller Argues Otherwise

By: Reader

eBay has once again proved to be unethical and unfair to small sellers. I recently had to exchange an item for a buyer, as the buyer purchased the incorrect size. The buyer was very easy to work with and everything went smoothly. And then eBay began bombarding me with messages stating I had to issue a refund to the buyer within less than one week.

I contacted eBay and informed them of their error, reminded them that the tracking number for the item that was exchanged was posted to eBay. A day later, I received a message from eBay stating that "the case I opened was now closed" and much to my dismay, eBay removed the Positive Feedback left by the buyer!

I immediately contacted eBay again to discuss their errors. I was informed by their rep that the case was closed and eBay always removes feedback after a case is closed!

I informed the rep that I never opened a case against the buyer, I had contacted eBay to inform them that they made an error in insisting I owed the buyer a refund and I wanted my Positive Feedback reinstated.

Obviously I got absolutely nowhere with the rep and then asked to be transferred to a supervisor. I was then transferred to a specialist and went thru everything again in detail. Once again, I not only got nowhere at all with the so-called specialist, I was also informed that once feedback is removed, eBay has no way of reinstating it! And adding further insult to injury, I was also told "eBay does not make mistakes!"

I then asked to speak to someone with more authority and was placed on hold for 20 minutes. When the specialist came back on the line, I was told that "there aren't any managers available now, a manager will call you back within an hour.

I waited a total of 9 hours before the manager returned my call. I had to repeat everything all over again and once again, was informed that eBay not only refused to reinstate my Positive Feedback, was also informed once more that "eBay does not make mistakes".

Finally I contacted the buyer, explained what had happened. The buyer was shocked that eBay would remove Positive Feedback and attempted to leave me Positive Feedback again. But eBay refused to allow the buyer to do this. The buyer contacted me stating that they didn't understand why eBay took it upon themselves to get involved to begin with.

The buyer also said in their opinion, eBay must have a program to drive all the small sellers off in favor of mega sellers, knock offs from China and protecting bad sellers while messing with good sellers. I agree. eBay's behavior is completely unethical.

Since I don't want to incur further repercussions from eBay, please sign me as
Grace O'Malley, Pirate Queen

Perminate Link for eBay Does Not Make Mistakes; Seller Argues Otherwi   eBay Does Not Make Mistakes; Seller Argues Otherwi

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 10:14:16 2019

In a sense the jerk you talked with is correct. Ebay itself doens't make the mistakes. Its the mismanagement idiot and the blocks of stupidity warming the chairs and answering the phones who do.

Arguing with them or trying to show them their mistake is a waste of time. You must remember Ebay is perfect and its the sellers who are ignorant.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Feb 4 11:30:45 2019

eBay hires alot of mistakes, that's for sure.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Feb 4 11:38:39 2019

The transfer of Ebay out of Pierre Omidyar's hands was a HUGE mistake.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 12:25:19 2019

Correction - eBay ALWAYS makes mistakes.

Im gonna channel a certain young lady who hasnt posted in a while "TECHNICALLY eBay was "right". When a case is opened and feedback is left - when the case is closed - feedback is removed.

Its eBays way of "resetting" the transaction.

In this case like many others, it was the idiots that designed the bad system who is at fault ie eBay is always wrong).

You would think that the OP did exactly what eBay wanted him to do - help the buyer - especially when the buyer made the error.

But in eBays eyes, the seller is ALWAYS wrong, even when they are right and so when feedback is left (and its beneficial when you get a negative one from an over eager buyer) it then gets erased.

Dumb, but then again dumb people run eBay.

All good sellers on eBay know - its never really their fault - its eBays for the constant meddling.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Feb 4 12:53:12 2019

The mistake is selling on eBay, the "no customer service" company.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Mon Feb 4 14:09:03 2019

It amazes me every day how people can still do business with this toxic company.

by: Grady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 16:34:55 2019

@NoMoreeEbay

It's the classic abused wife syndrome.
"He loves me though. He will stop beating me soon"

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Feb 4 19:50:41 2019

"eBay does not make mistakes" is the funniest thing I've read so far this year.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 5 06:44:17 2019

So....all those glitches they consistently claim to have need for a specialized "team" to be "working hard" to correct are...purposeful?

Or would that be mistaken too?

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Feb 5 07:57:55 2019

eBay has the potential to be an interesting job.  I like fixing broken software.  The trouble is, places with broken software are very defensive about it.  Allowing something to be fixed is an implicit admission that it was done wrong in the first place.  Pretty much the only thing such places put above making money is saving face.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 7 00:22:08 2019

If you want to sell on a venue that lets you sell in peace and only gets into business between you and your buyer when asked to. Try moving onto eCRATER. Keep your eBay store/listings for now, but add a packing slip that reminds the buyer that you now also sell on eCRATER with lower prices (minimal FVF and No FVF on Shipping). I did that for a year before I turned the light out on eBay and I am glad I did. The more good sellers, the better on eCRATER and the owner is very seller oriented and the venue at this point is privately owned, NO shareholders to keep happy. That seems to me to be when eBay and Amazon started throwing the little sellers under the bus, is when they went public. With no shareholders to handhold, you can help your small sellers do well as many of the big venues seem to forget that it is the small sellers with their unusual inventories that made them what they become. However, with shareholders, they need the bigger profits that the big sellers produce selling thousands of boxes of facial tissue, etc. each day.

by: ySirTinLee This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 7 01:40:58 2019

I left eBay years ago and went to eCrater, but also listed on Webstore.  Like Moonwishes suggested, try eCrater as you keep eBay.  On Webstore you can even run auctions with reserve price if you want.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 7 02:33:35 2019

How Ebay operates is archaic.  Once you sell on AMZ, Posh and other sites you see how easy and fair it is to dispute a return, dispute a claim, or give feedback.  One of the sites I sell on, the buyer HAS TO GIVE FEEDBACK within XX days, or they lose their right to return the product.  And the seller loses the access to their funds if they don't give feedback to the buyer.  So both sides have to comply to get their money.  Ebay is still operating like the 2000 site it was.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 7 02:35:25 2019

Re. Ecrater -- they don't show up in searches.  It may work for you Moonwishes & Sir, I don't know why or how, but if you do a search for anything, every site shows up but Ecrater.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 7 03:24:42 2019

What? LOL - if only it was still operating that way.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 7 07:15:34 2019

I was once told by a local bank to my face, "we don't make mistakes".  Well ever since that time I started making copies of everything I did at that bank.  And YES they did make mistakes because I had copies of deposits, etc. they had made mistakes on.  A couple of which they would of stolen my money if I had not had a copy.  That is a very hap hazzard thing to say to anyone in business.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 7 07:20:13 2019

I get tired of the "cut your prices" senario.  I might try eCrater.  Ebay is the only site I know.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 7 07:27:55 2019

I really think ebay doesn't like any seller who bucks their policies or refuses to cut prices when they want you to.  Its like "you didn't do what I told you to do" so I'm going to make YOU look bad.  They should stay out of our businesses and let us sell.

I also agree that stock holders make a big difference in how a company is run.  You are obligated to them first, it takes all focus off what the company was intended to be.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Thu Feb 7 15:21:00 2019

eBay lacks the ability to receive substantive messages from sellers. Suppose that eBay had a seller web page to report force majeure delivery delays like post office closings, access issues like blizzard conditions, downed trees or power lines, tidal flooding or storm runoff blocking roads or other unsafe conditions? The seller should also be able to accurately report returns, exchanges, buyer requested shipping delays or buyer requested permission to delay payment. In cases where buyers pay late because of unexpected circumstances, eBay removes the ability to pay after about 30 days even though the item remains in their database for another two months.

Aside from showing disrespect for sellers and buyers, eBay micromanagement of the sales process is ineffective and often counterproductive.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Mon Feb 11 16:27:36 2019

@The End

I read about Pierre Omidyar and learned that he never wanted eBay to become the big success it did, so he bailed. He has far too much money to care about we little rats on the floor go through. He does so much good in his philanthropic work yet cares little about the actual people he is supposed to be providing that goodness to.

All egomaniacs and narcissists I think. They have no clue about our reality.