Sat Feb 2 2019 10:53:11

Why Is eBay Authenticate Charging Florida Sales Tax, Reader Asks

By: Reader

eBay is voluntarily collecting sales tax for Florida and Florida hasn't asked it to and HAS NOT adopted the internet sales tax law that California and Washington have.

The seller is a part of eBay - the name is eastvaleluxe. They are a part of the new eBay Authenticate. They are charging me sales tax. I'm in Florida. They don't show Florida in their sales tax chart - where it shows under shipping and payment details - yet they are charging Florida tax. See for yourself.

Where is the sales tax I'm paying (I live in Florida) going??? Because the Florida Dept of Revenue wants to know too!!! I'm so mad!!!
J.

Update 2/2/19: The reader sent an email late this afternoon that the problem was fixed, and the company removed the sales tax from her transaction.

Perminate Link for Why Is eBay Authenticate Charging Florida Sales Ta   Why Is eBay Authenticate Charging Florida Sales Ta

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Feb 2 11:41:06 2019

@J. (the OP) - It appears from your last paragraph that you've already reported this seller to the Department of Revenue. You might want to contact the seller and advise him/her that you have reported them to the Department of Revenue for illegally collecting sales tax with no intention of remitting same to Florida.

If this isn't another famous eBay "glitch," I assume the seller will want to correct this situation and refund the amount charged for tax.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 2 12:40:55 2019

Where is the funds going. One doesn't have to be a brain doctor to understand where the funds are going.

by: wackymacs This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 3 21:34:04 2019

What about eBay collecting a state's sales tax, even though that specific state does not levy the online tax?  Also, does a seller get some sort of receipt for this 'tax payment'? The tax doesn't appear on my Paypal  statement. Where does this money go?

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sun Feb 3 23:38:31 2019

It would seem appropriate to have some transparency as to WHY someone is collecting tax beyond their home state.  A form kept on file with the marketplace demonstrating the reason for the need to collect tax, and a link to this document making it viewable at any time.

So if someone is in FL but has a warehouse in TN, they would report that nexus.  As it is now, we see that we are being charged tax, but no idea why or if it is valid.  No accountability.  Like the Wizard of Oz ''Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.''

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 02:07:38 2019

Amazon is collecting sales tax on multiple states now. As a courtesy, for each state that they collect sales tax on, I include a slip stapled onto their packing slip saying that Amazon has collected and remitted sales tax in what amount and to what state. I figure it might help out buyers at the end of the year when they have to try and figure out how much online sales tax they paid.

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Mon Feb 4 04:02:03 2019

Just another technical issue from the dream team hired by eBay

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 11:19:56 2019

@iheartjacksparrow - Indeed - good thinking! But I think the OP would be better off not tipping off eastvaleluxe ! Let the Dept of Revenue do their work and catch them in the act violating the law. It's possible Seller might retaliate against the OP - don't let them know who reported them!

If Florida isn't in the Managed Payments program then Ebay is not charging that tax, and their Authenticate program should be completely irrelevant (at least that's my understanding, but I know NOTHING about this program), Then the SELLER is the one to blame - being the one who checks the box and specifies that sales tax is to be paid and in what %!

Indeed there are shyster sellers who collect sales tax and never remit it, they just add it to their profits. And of course if it is in the invoice, you have to pay and only then complain. I'm pretty sure I have been victimized by a couple of these cheats.

@Lightning and Moonwishes - great ideas ! Wish all dealers were as interested in customer care.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 11:35:25 2019

@wackymacks - It sounds like you may be victimized by a scammer seller.  Do you live in a state that does not impose sales tax (like NH and others)?  If your state does not impose sales tax, it can't be one of those in eBay's ''Managed Payments'' program. Those are the only ones in which EBAY demands the tax.

In other states, it is the SELLER who tells the program to charge tax. (Unless there is some sort of glitch!???)

You can look at what you were actually billed by signing into ebay. Go to the upper right corner and click on MYeBAY. From the drop-down, choose PURCHASE HISTORY, and scroll to find line showing the item in question. On the right side, click on I'D LIKE TO, and from the drop-down, choose VIEW ORDER DETAILS.  If sales tax was charged, it should appear there.

I have no idea why tax would not show in a PayPal transaction summary but if you can find a report documenting you were wrongfully charged, you can ask the Seller for a refund and/or report them to your State Tax dept or the Attorney General.

GOOD LUCK !!!

This whole tax thing is absolutely crazy. I was wrongly charged on Amazon for an exempt product - they were incredibly blunt until I sent them the link to the NYS web page of exempt products, and then they changed their tune and refunded the tax I had paid.

by: wackymacs This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 4 23:48:13 2019

@timeaftertime - Thank you for your insight. However, I think that you are missing the point. I wasn't,  "... victimized by a scammer seller ...",  I'm the seller. A seller, who I must say has been preyed upon by some very bad buyers, as it were. Myself, as a buyer, also, I've only been scammed by sellers from Asia, only - contrary to the Kool-Aid that eBay keeps feeding the poor buyers out there about those unscrupulous sellers.  Anyhow.

No, I had a transaction, wherein a buyer purchased an item from me and had his state's sales tax tacked onto his invoice. His state, as well as mine, are not scheduled to yet collect sales tax on online transactions. Knowing this, I amended the buyer's invoice and removed the tax charge. However, I was charged by eBay for that sales tax! There was no explanation on my invoice copy, nor on my paypal transaction summary. But, as a seller, no, I DO NOT have the power to activate if sales tax is included or not .That, evidently, is eBay's doing. Another glitch  -  nope, I don't think so. I think after all of their years in existence, that excuse by eBay has gotten real old and is, basically now, never the actual case.

One point about this sales tax collection by eBay, saving me so much time to remit it to said states, as they write, may be a problem in itself. Many of these states, have a threshold in which online sellers are required to remit that state's sales tax ONCE they exceed either 199 transactions or $10,000 - this all on an annual  basis. If a seller does not exceed either of those two at the end of the calendar year, does eBay refund that amount back to the seller?  After all, no tax was required to be paid; and yet, the buyer/seller had that money taken out by eBay.  That's sort of a rhetorical question, I guess, but truthfully, how would a seller get that money back? eBay sure isn't giving out receipts for taxes paid. No one that I have talked with concerning this have gotten any proof either as to taxes paid  We all seem to be in the same boat. Yes, I guess writing to someone in government may help to shine a light on this entire situation. It couldn't hurt now, could it?!

by: Stone This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 5 13:48:58 2019

The same thing just happened to me, and I live in NV. Unknowingly hit with a tax of $269 was eye opening to say the least. I contacted eBay immediately, and they suggested contacting the seller. Shouldn't they handle that since technically they are the seller?

by: SenseiSez This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 5 18:07:51 2019

@Stone:The $269 "tax" that eBay took from you is supposed to be paid to the state from where you bought this item. Is that state even mandated to collect sales tax as of the date of your purchase? As of this first week in February, there are only a very few states that charge tax on these online purchases. Check out the list of states, whether from eBay's list, or, better yet, "google" it. If your seller's state does not appear, well then, write him to get that money refunded you.