Wed Sept 5 2018 13:42:36

USPS Shrinks Letter Box to the Annoyance of a Bookseller

By: Reader

On the street corner is our new USPS letter box.

The opening is smaller. It used to fit a Regional Rate A box and a Medium Flat Rate oblong.

Not any more.

Time for me to get out the tape measure and find out what will fit. And get ready to make more trips to the post office.
Dan

Perminate Link for USPS Shrinks Letter Box to the Annoyance of a Book   USPS Shrinks Letter Box to the Annoyance of a Book

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 5 14:34:37 2018

The ones we have here have a curve in the drop shoot that has prevented putting any kind of PM box in it for a very long time.  I've always had to do a carrier pick up or go inside the PO to drop them off.  But I do understand and respect why Dan doesn't like the change.  I'm just use to it.

It may be these boxes have a higher security to them as it makes it more difficult to go down the shoot to steal some mail.  IDK, that is just a guess.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 5 16:40:29 2018

Marie AND Dan.  It has been because of HOMEGROWN Domestic USA Terrorists who took advantage of UNMONITORED drop boxes to Anonymously post LETTER BOMBS.
Not only are NEW boxes made with smaller/narrower slots, but they have also been WELDING ON restrictor plates to OLDER boxes, too.

At the same time these SIZE / DIMENSION restrictions also have the "benefit" to the USPS of limiting how often they have to RETURN TO SENDER improperly mailed packages with :  Too Little Paid Postage,  Inadequate material of construction, (think 5 pounds of ANYTHING in a Ladies ShoeBox tied up with string... saw one while standing on line LAST WEEK), and the dreaded International shipment that was ALREADY forbidden from Blue Steel Drop Boxes.)

By The Way these restrictor plates are EVEN being welded onto On-Site outdoor / after-hours drop boxes ON USPS POST OFFICE PROPERTY, too.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 5 16:43:44 2018

@angry

Thank you.  I actually wasn't complaining as it is no problem for me.  I'm so use to doing carrier pick ups or go inside the PO, it is just part of my job.  No complaints here.  But I do appreciate your response as it makes perfect sense.

by: steve9801 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 04:02:18 2018

The USPS is doing this all over NY City to prevent mail phishing. This is one thieve fish out of the old mailboxes letters and get personal information or in some case steal checks and change them.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 05:06:30 2018

@Steve, Mail phishing?  I never heard of that, gotta look it up.  Anywho, in Chicago, they are doing the Restricted plates and nails, so you can only mail a letter.  This so-called Terrorism scare is a bunch of baloney.  I always said, if the terrorists wanted to kill Americans all they have to do is poison our rivers and waters.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 06:52:06 2018

I suggest that the post office take away all those boxes. Then the complainers can take their boxes to the post office and stand in line. Then they would have something to whine about.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Sep 6 07:16:05 2018

Well if they are concerned about mail phishing why are they living packages on every door step in America for any thief to walk off with?  USPS, FedEx and UPS do this.

For crooks it's like "phishing" with a net.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 07:45:29 2018

What is mail phishing?  Can somebody tell me where to look for a definition and how it works?  I can't imagine anybody putting their hands down a mail slot to get mail.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 09:14:00 2018

My local post office took out the two main drop off boxes that were outside and now we are left with one with the curve slide drop shoot for a letter but no packages as you drive through. I got out of the car to check the back of it though and found another opening. It fits small packages, small flat rate boxes, larger envelopes, media boxes, and  the next size up from small flat rate. Nothing bigger. I asked and my PO said they didn't have enough mail to justify having the boxes.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 10:09:16 2018

@sunflower is there a picture of your mailbox so I can envision it?   I can't imagine what that looks like.  But the PO is so 19th century.  I wrote the PMaster many many times and asked them to put 2 mail boxes on our corners for the packages.  Or, at the least design the mail boxes like Fedex &UPS does which allows for packages to be put in.  Even wrote the USPS congressional committee.  At some point someone is going to do an investigation report on this travesty.  No one is mailing letters anymore.  We send payments through online banking.  We don't write checks.  We even send b'day greeting through the internet.  They need to redesign the mail boxes so we can put packages in them.
Across the street at a skyscraper is a Fedex box in the lobby.  Why can't there be a USPS mailbox in that same lobby?

by: Junkyardog This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 10:19:26 2018

If I used a drop box for a package weighing over 12 ounces I would get a $20,000.00 bill from the bomb squad for it's disposal.

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 10:39:23 2018

We still have the same large-opening drive-through boxes at the regional distribution center. Last pickup is 7:30 PM. Boxes are serviced even on most postal holidays.

The opening is at least 4 inches tall and very deep. RRA will fit. I think I've even done a large FR 'game' box.

The scam they're trying to address is when people put a sticky blob on the end of a string and pull out envelopes hoping to get a letter with cash.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 10:41:53 2018

@Junkyard - me and plenty of us do just that.  I haven't been billed by the bomb squad.  But do you honestly think if someone wanted to terrorize the public they would use a PoST box to do it?

by: Junkyardog This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 10:50:20 2018

The 13-Ounce Mail Rule requires that any mail piece weighing over 13 ounces that is mailed with postage stamps has to be presented in person to a USPS employee

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Sep 6 11:12:22 2018

I haven't seen any mail boxes in my area in ages. There are two post offices a couple of miles apart, so I'm guessing they want people to travel to one of them to drop off the mail. Also, a lot of people place their out-going letters sticking out of their home mail slots for pick-up by the mail carrier, which I know is a bad idea. One of my elderly neighbors used to do that, until she found her bank account was drained by thousands of dollars because someone stole the mail from her slot, got a check from one of her envelopes, and used that check to steal money from her account.

The post office to the south of me had their whole mail box outside for drop-offs stolen a few years ago. They put in a new box with huge bolts to keep that from happening again. So mail theft is a real problem.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 11:14:52 2018

I thought they did away with letting you put packages in the mailbox at least a decade ago.  I was not even allowed to put a padded envelope in the mailbox AT the post office and they returned it to me saying it was not allowed and that was at least 10 years ago.
I guess you should be glad they were lax there for so long.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 12:23:03 2018

@Barbbie:
> I was not even allowed to put a padded envelope in the mailbox
> AT the post office and they returned it to me saying it was not
> allowed and that was at least 10 years ago.

I was asked to not do that, too, when the subject came up while I was chatting with them one day. (I'm a daily regular.) They prefer that I drop padded envelopes in the package chute with the bigger stuff, although their reason for asking was more mundane than something involving terrorism. (They also wouldn't go sending it back to me as some sort of big violation, either.)

Turns out that the guy who empties the package drop expects to see preprinted, barcoded labels, so he has a scanner on him to do Acceptance scans on all the items coming out of it. In contrast, the person emptying the mailbox expects to find only letters and other plain envelopes, and doesn't carry a scanner. (The two drops are in different areas of the post office and are not serviced by the same person.) If a barcoded item comes out of the mailbox, they're supposed to go find a scanner to read it, which is kind of a pain.

I said Fine, sure, whatever; I'll drop padded envelopes in the package chute. You pick your battles. ;-)

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 20:40:10 2018

@Chicago

Mail fishing is when something that can grab letters is dropped down the slot and pulled back up with a bundle of them "fishing" for cash and gift cards

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 21:29:49 2018

As they replace the old mailboxes here, they put in the new ones with the skinny slot, it won't even take a small FRB.

However, here, they let the boxes fill to the point where people try to stuff mail into them and it backs up into the chute and ends up even hanging partway out of the slot.

A lot of good the new security measures do when the won't empty the mailbox often enough. :(

Many of the new boxes, as someone said, have a larger slot on the back, though, that will take a FRB.

When I do have a box that won't fit in the slot I take it in and leave it on the counter, they have a whole area now in most post offices where people just stack up pre-stamped/labeled packages a mile high, sometimes they even have wheeled canvas bins where people just drop them in.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Sep 7 00:09:27 2018

I got a Cast Iron US Mail box I'll be listing on eBay.

It's Blue & Red and was one of the types that sat on a post.

Not sure if I'm going to offer shipping or not.

It was made in 1929 by Carlisle Iron Works in PA.

I'm hoping to get $500 for it