Mon July 9 2018 10:41:52

Workaround to eBay Hidden Ended Listings

By: Reader

I wanted to respond to the below letter for "A" and others who encounter the same problem. The solution is easier than you think.

"A" wrote: "Do you know why eBay has made it impossible to see the original listing of an item that has ended? It's horrible! The "See original item" link on a listing that has ended now takes you to a page that says, "The listing you're looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."  I'm not looking for another item - I'm looking for the one that was originally listed. If I wanted to look for a similar item I would use the Search function. Thank you. Regards, A."

A, I'm sure you were upset enough (as I was, myself) to have missed the fact that the word "listing" in the sentence, "The listing you're looking for is no longer available" is a live link to the ended auction you want to see.

When this happens again, find the word "listing" and click on it. Voila!

Regards,
"J"

Perminate Link for Workaround to eBay Hidden Ended Listings   Workaround to eBay Hidden Ended Listings

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 10 12:14:04 2018

This is a rotten trick - another aggravating FleeBay ''improvement.''

The slight color change on the word ''listing'' meaning it is a live link is not easy to notice, but it is there.

Even a bookmark on the original listing no longer works.  Clicking the bookmark you made on the original listing page before the auction ended is no good, because now that bookmark goes to the suggested live item that you don't want.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Tue Jul 10 15:51:32 2018

There are serious lapses in judgement for many (most?) of the ill-conceived site functionality decisions eBay makes.

Paid external search was delivering buyers to expired listings -- not a good thing for sellers overall.

With all the significant glitches and site issues this year, this hardly seems to rank, but the extra click appears to really be throwing some people for a loop.

Would a matching search result be a better landing than a specific expired listing?

I think Ina has changed the formatting for some of the links on ECB to an easier to view (esp on mobile) higher contrast blue font, perhaps that would be helpful if eBay did something similar to make the link more apparent?

Either way, Bobby K said he's open to feedback on this, so anyone with an opinion should light him up on Twitter (@bob_k) and in eBay's community forum (@bob_kupbens) to let him know your thoughts!

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 11 07:13:36 2018

eBay isn't all incompetence and corruption.  They have mastered numbness to their customer's irratition for over a decade now.

Noise.  Their word for feedback.  One of their earliest hypocritical blooms.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 11 11:06:36 2018

@FidoMaster, re: ''It would seem perhaps it would make sense that if the original listing was relisted by the seller, to have the incoming click land on the new listing (not sure if it works like that or not), but if already sold to land on a current match?''

Indeed, when a listing ended eBay used to include a link that ''Seller has relisted...'' and there was a link you could click to the relisting. I don't know if that is still available, I have not tried to find a relisted item.

What OP (and I) want to do is NOT to see a ''current match.'' Rather, we want to see what happened with the original listing (I.e., final sale price, number of bids, etc). When I want to keep track of an item and see its final selling results, I bookmark the specific item's listing page.  It is TRULY annoying when I click a BOOKMARK and up comes a brand new listing showing something in which I have absolutely no interest.

One would think that at least a bookmark would produce the original page I selected, but NO.  At least the difficult to notice link is there that can be clicked on.  The only other alternative is to remember to keep track of the Seller and then search for their completed items.

eBay used to be actually fun. We started on it in 1998 and it was great for maybe a few years then started a downhill slide that has continually worsened.  Remember when we thought Meg W was so bad ...  at this point we would beg her to come back !

by: Stone This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 01:01:47 2018

If you are a seller, I would suggest that you bookmark/watch your listings from another account, so you can see what the prospective buyer sees when your listing ends.  If and when you relist it, the prospective buyer can click on  “view relisted item” from their watch list. At that time they will be taken to someone else’s listing. Just above that listing it says “The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you”. If you look closely you can click on the word "listing" to find yours.

For the first 2 weeks in June, there wasn’t even an option to find the original listing. They have since changed it and put up a bit of an obstacle course. As a buyer, I often “bookmark/watch items”, and If I don’t get to it before the listing ends, I’d sure like to be able to find it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Jul 12 01:45:07 2018

It really is a super-annoying mechanism.  I look at sold items ALL the time to see why something sold for so much or so little.  Was it a market shift, or was there damage to the item, or was it an exceptional example?  Things can change quickly in some categories, especially collectibles.  For the past month or so, I have been using FidoMaster's suggestion of adding some syntax to the URL (THANKS, FidoMaster!).  The post is on this page, where the subject was originally brought up:
===============
l?/comments/2018/6/1527962139.html/3/40

This user has validated their user name. by: mcfiver

Thu Jul 12 03:35:59 2018

When researching value prior to listing, I search for SOLD items by specifically clicking COMPLETED ITEMS in my advance search option parameters. eBay now ignores both 'Completed' and 'View Original Listing' by sending MY search to a current irrelevant listing.

I'm completely aware that the page with the blue bar and the "maybe you'll like this" suggestion includes a link to the original completed listing I was searching for. But - when I specifically create advanced search SOLD and COMPLETED parameters, that's what I want and need - NOT eBay interfering with their idiotic suggestions. This unwelcome tactic is both disrespectful and time consuming, adding another step to an already laborious process of determining comps thanks to all the endless non-related garbage thrown into my search.

So "J" - 'viola' my patooshky - it is another idiotic example of eBay's AI interference in my due diligence, a process eBay should respect AND be streamlining for sellers, instead of obstructing with irrelevant and time-consuming clicks and links.

I'd love to get my hands on their computers and start misdirecting their daily searches - perhaps they'd get the message sooner.

by: 227272 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 06:09:38 2018

This automatic direction to a listing I have no interest in is (intentionally) creating false elevated views on the alternate item. Even worse, I am now receiving eBay emails promoting the item I unwillingly "browsed."

What a cluster. . . .

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 07:11:56 2018

All these source code errors are being made in India! Lets face the truth Indian programmers are destroying the eBay website. get rid of India, get rid of the CEO and lets work hard to restore eBay to what it once was; a good working website.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 12 10:25:34 2018

That blue-on-blue ''Listing'' link has been there from the start of this misdirection campaign, but there have been other formats presented in which that banner link did not appear at all, and you were absolutely blocked from accessing the intended listing at all; you were just dumped at the current listing they chose for you instead, and that was that.

I had the misdirection results come up both ways for me, either with or without the ''Listing'' link at the top that would let me get to my intended destination, but cannot recall now whether it was possible to control which result you'd get... Possibly one was in Mobile mode and the other was Desktop/Classic mode, something like that.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Thu Jul 12 12:42:37 2018

"And if the sorry Mr. Kupends - and the rest of the sorry responsibles - are not yet aware of the 'thoughts' out there about eBay's consistent irritations, another chirp in the tweeterverse is unlikely to suddenly enlighten them."

Snapped you're right of course -- it's noise to them. But it's not really "them" I'm trying to reach.

With that being said there's no better return-on-effort than a well placed tweet reply.

Where else is some random internet guy with a dogface twitter profile (with just 100 "followers" no less) going to get hundreds of impressions (and dozens of engagements) replying to one of Wenig's tweets? Nowhere.

(Want a better example? Search twitter for hashtag #EbayOpen. Ebay PR was, for a time, using that hashtag but for some reason not anymore.)

Usually what I try to do is link back to ECB to support the site and where others that aren't already lurking can get up to speed.

I'd definitely recommend every ECB reader set up a Twitter account and follow ECB @EcommerceBytes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
Lightning
- My pleasure and thank you not only for the kudos, for reminding me as well. I actually completely forgot about that.  Old age... =)

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Jul 12 18:57:35 2018

@a_c_green
I did a test using regular Chrome and Chrome incognito. The both had different results. Not sure what the issue is but it certainly is happening.

My God, anymore I can't remember a single day when some garbage wasn't being pushed out.