Thu July 5 2018 12:57:49

Is There a Problem with eBay Search?

By: Reader

Amazing - first an apology and now a small change back to how things used to be. Here is the link to the newest "You spoke and we Listened".

Sales must really be hurting for them to keep making these concessions. I have spoken to others on FB in my category who say their sales have completely stopped.

On another site I sell on sales have spiked and I have had a couple of customers ask why my listings were no longer on eBay. When I told them they had been until a couple of days ago when they expired, they commented that they had not been able to find any of the items they were buying from me on this other site on eBay.

Search engine must really be screwed up.
D.

Perminate Link for Is There a Problem with eBay Search?   Is There a Problem with eBay Search?

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 13:36:19 2018

the link has nothing to do about the search engine.

its about the markdown manager.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jul 5 14:51:23 2018

@RL15 - I believe "D." (the OP) is referring to two different things in his post. The Markdown Manager change regarding the 14-day restriction was revised after buyer backlash, so "D." was commenting about how bad it must be for eBay that they would alter a new policy to appease the sellers.

Regarding listings not being seen on eBay, I know this for a fact as it happened to me where an item showed up in a Google search (with a link to click on to take me to an eBay listing), but when I tried searching directly on eBay for that listing, the item is nowhere to be found.

Another anomaly I discovered: I was looking at an eBay listing, and underneath it showed three others of the same item. I clicked on one of the others to check it out, and made a note of its exact listing title. I went back a few hours later, and could not find the second item. I had to go to the original item I looked at, and then go through the link at the bottom of the listing to get to the second item.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 15:39:22 2018

@iheartjacksparrow, could be the OP was referring about 2 different things.

we all know the search has been broken for a long time.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 15:58:49 2018

In eBay's eyes, best match search is working perfect

and for every one else on the planet it's broken and it truly is broken

they just don't get it and they refuse to listen to their customers, they think it's working in their favour to maximize profit, but it's not, it's destroying the

best match algorithm has been slowly killing ebay and it's sellers since it's inception

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Jul 5 17:02:31 2018

Something very unusual has happened. I don't know why and I think I'll know a little more tomorrow if it is having an impact....but........

I saved a file on July 2nd of my items listed. This morning I reviewed the file against my current listings. There had been only minor changes but nothing that indicated my items were being seen again.

This afternoon, I decided to call Ebay Canada. I sell both there and in the US and thought, what the heck, I'll give it a go.

The CS I reached there was so nice. Now she didn't have too many recommendations for me as she had l looked at my store and listings and said I had fantastic prices and couldn't understand why I had such a slowdown. Now I did pour it on a bit and we chatted for quite a while. Personal stuff too.

Now, two hours later I checked my listings and noticed that the items and watches were very different. Checked against my July  2nd backup and surely enough.....lot more views lot more watchers???? In addition to that the views and watchers index is working fine. No need for refreshes or anything.

So, did something magical happen through all of that? I don't know, but if I do get sales from what seems to be a light has been turned on, I will certainly let you know.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 18:04:02 2018

There has always been a difference on the number of items listed.

As of today:
*** When I go to the selling and check my active +
I have 159 items
*** When I click on my ID and then click on "view items for sale"
I have 153 items

Sometimes there has been a difference of over 20 items.
What's this????

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Jul 5 18:16:10 2018

@DingDong
I hear you and my numbers were always like that too, but for some reason, everything has changed. Things that had no views July 2nd and no views this morning have 9 or 10. This is really weird. I know what it's been like since April.

Sales are the only thing that will tell. If all we are getting is views and watchers, then it's the buyers who are leaving.

by: cardfinds This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 18:23:05 2018

IMO it's ebay screwing with everyone's listings. I saw my sales tank around 3 weeks ago and decided last week after much agony and deliberation to go ahead and offer free returns. I went earlier this month from 15-20 sales/week to 2 sales/week. This is how I make my living so I had to do something. Since I changed to free returns my sales went back up after a few days and even my old items are selling. If that's not manipulation, then I don't know what is!! I'm going to keep free returns for a while on a trial basis and see what happens.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 5 21:24:25 2018

"I'm going to keep free returns for a while on a trial basis and see what happens."

Imagine that.  Drink the koolaid, get the buzz, even under duress.

Try to be the independent entrepreneur eBay continuously proports to serve though, and you will perish like a Lilly in the Sahara.

It's the only thing that truly is transparent and predictable about eBay these days.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 6 00:15:26 2018

The last few days I noticed 100% of my sales were promoted listings, which has historically been very few, less than 20% of what I sell per day.
I guess that explains why I am starving for sales right now.
Apparently, If I am not paying extra, they are not showing the items.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 6 01:36:02 2018

For those wondering, I am the OP on this one and this was mentioning 2 different topics overall.  The link was to show that Ebay was backing off their policy somewhat and the other part was to state that things are broken worse than normal.

I did not change and add free returns to my listings on June 1 and basically it appears that if you do not bow down and give free returns, Ebay is no longer going to show your items.  I will list my items for one more month and if i get the same type of results will immediately cancel my store  and contact a few agencies that may or may not be interested in what Ebay is doing.,  I completely understand that they have the right to show or not show my items, but if they are not going to show them after charging me for a store ONLY because I will not offer free returns which they would like that might actually be a violation of some type.  Not sure, but it never hurts to contact a few governmental agencies to get the company on their radar for violations of varying types, maybe even RICO violations.

I do believe that Ebay is hurting so badly now for money due to store cancellations (not cash as they still have billions stashed offshore) that they were depending on to get them through this rough patch of reduced sales which they predicted would happen during the changeover (but I do not believe anybody could have predicted it would be this bad, not even a monkey), that they are even abandoning their normal share the wealth so everybody keeps their store in favor of items in higher priced categories and those with Promoted Listings so they get the extra revenue.

Ebay has even announced a month long Ebay bucks sale of 5% on any purchase for the entire month of July from the Business and Industrial category which typically tends to have higher priced items.  I guess 5% still leaves 5% in the kitty for them which is better than these 15-20% sales they have been running where they actually lose money on every sale that is made, but it helps them show growth in Gross Revenues (not deducting the returns of course, which is why they want the buyer to make the purchase and not have any problem returning it, as it results in growth from what they reveal).  Maybe Ebay should start comparing Net Monthly Values instead of the Gross Monthly Values that so overstates things in their favor (could be a RICO violation or maybe even a Sarbanes Oxley violation for willfully releasing misleading results which results in overpricing of the stock, anybody remember Enron and WorldCom and what their phony information caused to happen)?  We all know that returns are up across the board so that means that the overstatement of revenues by only releasing the Gross Monthly Values is growing each month and quarter and Ebay gets away with it by quietly correcting it when they release their Audited Financial Statements.  I would love Ebay to announce the TRUE Net number as enthusiastically as they do the Grossly Overstated Revenues to try and show growth each quarter.  I am sure that would go over like a lead balloon and Wenig would be gone the day after the results showed negative growth.

I also believe the layoffs are larger and much more costly in the loss of knowledgeable people than Ebay wants known which is why nothing is being announced publicly about the layoffs.  They do not want Wall Street or even the general public to have any idea just how bad things are right now because that would just make things worse as more sellers and buyers would both jump ship.  Nobody wants to go down with the Titanic and Ebay is looking more and more like the Titanic.

I see that Pittman has suddenly disappeared from the executive chart also which means he is probably gone from Ebay now also, but they are not releasing any of that information to the public and I would bet my bottom dollar that Ebay has tied their exit packages to their silence about how bad things are and the fact that they were let go.

Wenig is in absolute panic mode which is why he made that sudden announcement via twitter about the launch of a new Promotion that week which just happens to be the first and last that anybody has heard about it from Ebay.  I am sure they are now scrambling to put together an advertising campaign to compete with Amazon Prime Day on a totally shoestring budget and it will be so useless that nobody will ever see or hear about it other than through Twitter which is free.  Watch your pocketbooks TRS members, remember when Ebay took the 10% Discount away from TRS+ listings way back when?  That was supposed to be used to fund this great advertising campaign that Ebay insisted that sellers were clamoring for.  Well we had been clamoring for it, but did not expect to have to fund it ourselves, but that is how Ebay works, the sellers pay for everything as it is just a CODB and we need to take one for the team.  So since they have nowhere else to look for it don't be surprised to see a sudden announcement that TRS+ members need to take one for the team and pay for this advertising campaign with their remaining discount that Ebay has despised ever giving away to you, or suddenly your listings will be hidden even more because they need to sell items that don't qualify for that discount to pay for this campaign.  By the way Ebay, how come the other 10% wasn't restored to the TRS+ discount program when that fantastic advertising campaign ended?  With what little advertising you do that should already be in your budget.  Oh, that is now used to fund your year end bonuses and to reserve for your golden parachute when you are pushed out of the plane.  Hopefully that Golden Parachute has a lot of holes that the BOD and Shareholders can use to get out of paying for a golden parachute that was definitely not earned.

Now its time for Ebay to take one for the Team and not only come up with a very unforgettable advertising campaign for that week, and I mean UNFORGETTABLE for being great and they need to fund it out of their pockets.  Let Wenig do without a bonus this year and live on his base salary as he has done nothing to deserve any type of bonus or raise.  All he has continued to do is destroy the platform that his customers pay to use and then try to pass the blame on to others as if he had no idea how bad things were.

So Ebay, I know you monitor these boards and read the comments, so lets see how you respond to these comments  and challenges.  I am a 20+ year seller on your site that has rolled with the punches every time you change things, but this time i refuse to allow buyers to purchase my items and try to resell them on your site for a higher price and then when they cannot do so,  have to not only refund their money but pay to get what i have to hope is my item back in the original condition.  This type of situation is happening to more and more sellers in my category and is resulting in Ebay seeing lower and lower valued items for sale only.  Fix your site and search engine before you completely destroy what was once a thriving business that a Monkey could have run successfully.  But neither Wenig nor Donohoe has been able to, so what does that tell us??  I guess that explains why the BOD feels he needs to do all of his travelling on the corporate jet now due his personal well being considered to be in danger.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 6 08:07:49 2018

FREE RETURNS are Pure D EVIL  I've said it before, but ANY SELLER who elects to put their own head in the noose of FREE RETURNS has FAILED their most recent I.Q. Test.  Whenever eBay tries to entice UnWary sellers down the Road To Ruin .... that is a SECRET I.Q. Test to see just how many self-deluded sellers are LEFT for the Clowns at eBay to knock down then pick their bones clean.   FREE RETURNS are a fine way to turn a $3 profit on a $12 sale into a $20 LOSS.  Yes, $20 LOSS as Free Return as You'll be out the COST of the item sold, the COST of outbound freight, the COST of return freight, and ODDS are very good that the item RETURNED will no longer be saleable... or only saleable the NEXT time at a significantly LOWER $price.
This would have the same economic/bottom line HIT to an on-line seller as SHOPLIFTING for a Brick & Mortar store.  Having a $20 thumb-drive stolen by shoplifter ( a low margin item for SURE ) would mean to bring the store back to EVEN MONEY would likely require 6 or more SOLID SALES for the profit on THOSE solid sales to make the store "whole" vs the instant loss.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Jul 6 10:24:08 2018

Well I've had free returns for the past year. Just an extra bonus for my customers. However, I am now taking it off. Having them didn't stop my sales from tanking, so who knows, maybe taking it off will help. Sure can't hurt now.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 6 11:31:27 2018

Everyone needs to stop blaming eBay search.

I have NO problem finding what I want to buy!

If you're searching for a Bushnell TRS25 or a Romeo 5 Red Dot. They're all over eBay. . .

Heck, I can even find a pair of Burris signature rings in low med or high base on eBay. . .

Need a cylinder for a 1958 Remington revolver, no problem, eBay has them. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jul 6 13:44:10 2018

Must be a problem with the Ebay Search.
Keeps showing me damaged, broken, over priced junk.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Fri Jul 6 18:16:43 2018

@toolguy
you must have a magical search because all of my saved ones don't generate anywhere near the results I used to get. I'm sticking strictly with my known sellers, no more of that stuff. Way too time confusing and not what I want to see.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jul 6 19:05:14 2018

@toolguy - Have you tried searching for more mundane items? I don't know how many people search for rifle accessories, but I bet a lot more search for clothing and electronic items.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 6 19:38:45 2018

Hey tool:

A.  How would you know you were shown all available choices?

And

B.  I really don't give a hangnail about being shown any of those things regardless.

THAT's the problem with eBay's search.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 6 19:44:01 2018

@iheartjacksparrow

I have NEVER bought any clothes online, neither has my wife!

And over the years the only electronics we have bought we bought from HP or Walmart

In the 20 years of buying and selling on eBay those are 2 items I buy brick & mortar.

Looking at the items we've bought this year so far on eBay.

bubble mailers
gunsmith block
flip up rear sight

That's just eBay. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jul 6 19:48:30 2018

@Snapped

I was happy with the choices I was presented and made purchases based on the price offered. I do shop the internet before buying on eBay. . .But some items just can't be bought on eBay or Amazon.