Mon June 25 2018 08:43:53

eBay Loses Product Photos in Major Glitch

By: Readers

I discovered late Saturday night, June 23 that I had a mysterious new selling reminder. It said I needed to meet photo recommendations for 12 items.

Imagine my horror when I clicked on it and discovered that all my pictures which I had so painstakingly made were GONE! All that was left was one gallery picture per listing and that was it! On one of the 12 listings, there was NO PICTURE AT ALL in the listing - NONE!

I sell vintage items and list GTC. I usually sort by newly listed so I noticed these 12 were in a block where they had recently renewed. I immediately called eBay and had to wait about 45 minutes which was unusually long. The rep knew of this already, she said people had been calling in, and owned up that it had started the night before. She basically told me nothing and that they were "working on it".

Well Sunday morning comes and I have an additional listing with again, only the one gallery picture! I called eBay again and was told more or less I'd just have to reload my pictures.

No one is saying anything about this. I can't believe sellers aren't raising the roof. I'll bet a lot don't even know it's going on.

I told a fellow eBayer about it and after checking his listings, discovered he had over 130 with either just one gallery picture or no pictures at all.

I for one, am furious. Most of my listing time is spent on pictures as I sell vintage items and I usually have 7-12 pictures per listing. Lots of different angles and close-ups are important in my listings. eBay doesn't seem too excited about this.

This is a major problem and I can't imagine there's just a handful of us out there that it's affected. We need to light a fire under eBay to FIX THIS because who knows, each day there may be more and more of our listings stripped of pictures! How are we going to know? Spot check listings every day?

News flash to eBay: We can't sell if we have no pictures in our listings!
Maricella

***

I think a current problem has just surfaced - the GTC (Good Til Cancelled) and the relisting listings on eBay are void of most of their photos - some have 1, many show little thumbnail size, others grayscale and people are MAD.

eBay rep state they know and only a FEW people are having problems - thus no problems on the TECH indicator - the title is telling people to check listings.
R.

From the Editor: R. sent this link that shows the problem was first reported on Thursday. This issue was also reported on Ecommerce EKG on Saturday.

Perminate Link for eBay Loses Product Photos in Major Glitch   eBay Loses Product Photos in Major Glitch

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 09:20:36 2018

Oh No tell me it isn't true. The sinking ship has another glitch. Quick someone put the plug in before all is lost.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Mon Jun 25 09:30:34 2018

Along with this problem of the photo's, if a customer clicks on one of those items, when it comes up to a full page, there aren't any pictures showing at all. Well done Ebay.

by: FIREWENIG This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 09:46:53 2018

Why do you think this was a Glitch or Accident?   Ebay stated over the last few years their desire to end stale listings.  Those of you that lost photos, where these old listings? No Sales?  Just Saying.....Some of these Glitches may be more about Control and not Accidents at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Mon Jun 25 10:12:36 2018

I don't think this was intentional. It's a worldwide issue. They have so many glitches and bugs right now I think they're falling over themselves.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 11:10:37 2018

I think this has been going on sporadically for awhile. Only more recently has it been affecting more listings on a global level.

Another day, another glitch. When does it reach a point when they cease to be glitches and just become the way eBay does things? They are so incompetent, so irresponsible, and it hits the pockets of sellers large and small.

I have just come off of the WORST weekend I have ever had on eBay in 16 years of selling. Friday - ZERO, Sat - 4, Sunday - 1. I average 18 - 22 over the same period.

And yes, I offer all of the perks because I can. I see other sellers in my categories are also off quite a bit of late. It appears our visibility is being manipulated without regard to best practices or price. I guess eBay isn't just screwing the seller anymore.

''Way to go eBay.''  Fools.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 11:16:46 2018

And eBay wants to control your listings and lays claim to them. Are you sure you have the right to complain anymore?

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 11:20:49 2018

Since I have experienced none of the usual eBay glitch complaints, might I suggest you use some other lister besides whatever the current eBay lister is called?

I have used Auctiva for years at a cost of $9.95 per month. It is a very small price to pay for avoidance of all those endless eBay glitches and some piece of mind.

My listing details and photos are all stored there, so if they should disappear on eBay, I still have them.

Just a thought.

by: bpm This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 12:16:20 2018

I second what Just Plain Irritated says - dont bother trusting Ebay to keep your photos and listings, use a proper company like Auctiva; I use them and they have had zero glitches in 9 years.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 12:46:36 2018

I too use Auctiva. I strongly recommend them to everyone. I started using them years ago because I could not get Turbo Lister to work properly.

Every listing I have prepared since 2012 is saved there, over 14,000 of them.

Every photo remains until I delete it.

I can count on one hand the number of problems I have had in over 7 years. Absolutely love it!

That is how a ''technology company'' should function.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 12:52:22 2018

Oh and I can pull reports on every closed transaction, long after Paypal and Ebay have deleted them.

For even more data, I use GoDaddy bookkeeping to track my financial records. Very simple to use. I can pull a current P&L, end of year figures, track expenses and sales by state. I can pull all figures going back to 2012, when I began using the program.

The figures are CORRECT, ACCURATE and CONSISTENT. Not the garbage from eBay that doesn't add up to the same figure twice.

by: AngelaTC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 13:30:13 2018

Those of us who have been here for many years know this used to happen on a semi-regular basis.  I always used to embed pictures hosted on a 3rd party site as an intentional redundancy.  eBay made that far too expensive with their enhanced security protocols.

Thanks, eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jun 25 14:16:36 2018

Every executive at eBay, starting with Devin, should be appalled and embarrassed that glitches like this continue to happen on a regular basis. Are they trying to destroy eBay? It's starting to appear that way since every day someone is reporting at least one problem that shouldn't be happening.

by: BlueDenim This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 16:13:05 2018

Totally happened to me today and I canceled my store subscription. So over it.

I did notice it was mainly on my older listings from last Fall.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 25 16:41:25 2018

None of mine were affected.  All my listings on those two days were new listings using SYI, and none were GTC. So it may just be limited to relists and GTC listings.

by: phantom This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 26 00:37:29 2018

This glitch lost 30 percent of the photo on my auctions.
These are not glitches, they are errors made by incompetent programmers. Heaven forbid that eBay would test a change before implementation.
Can you imagine that when eBay become the payment intermediately and they lose 30 percent of your payments.
Not on my watch, all Ebay sellers should have existed plan.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 26 10:41:23 2018

Phantom, your predictions about eBay's new payment platform are scary, to say the least.....

by: indomama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 26 21:49:37 2018

I also have several photos missing in about 50 listings that I have caught so far. Seemed to be gtc that rolled over on the 27th. I use inkfrog, tried going in and just hitting revise and that did not work. So then I tried revise and just moved my photos (because they still showed up on my listing in inkfrog) around and that recovered my listing.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 28 03:03:41 2018

Not just on stale listings,  One of mine, first listed 3 weeks ago, and selling an average of one a day, lost all but one photo.  A few other listings lost photos, Most of my 3000+ listings have not (so far!) been affected.

by: okie1304 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 28 05:47:22 2018

I posted here several weeks ago, as I had the missing images issue since May 26th and still ongoing. I called many times and finally reported the issue and got a service number.  I called again this week and was told that they were aware of the issue and it was a "priority" and have a fix date of 07/13/18 !!  I asked about my lost fees and the ONLY offer they made was to upgrade my store as a courtesy for one month and with it received 1000 free listings.  They asked what I thought would be fair and I asked for Free listings until it is fixed, but the said they couldn't do that...REALLY??? how about I don't pay my fees until it's fixed LOL, consolation prize was the store upgrade.  Issue is still ongoing and I have about 75% on over 3000 listings with no photos. I worked for weeks revising and adding pics back in only to find the issue has infiltrated my listing templates!  I was also told finally that the "FIX" when it happens will go back and replace any missing images, so I don't have to try to manually do that...can hardly wait to see how images are actually associated with the listing YIKES...potential for errors, 100%.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 28 06:49:23 2018

And Ebay has the nerve to lay off workers....they need to hire programmers.
I just wish we could get a refund on our store charges when these glitches happen.  I predict there will be some class action lawsuits soon.