Tue June 19 2018 14:21:34

Etsy Masks Buyer Email Addresses

By: Reader

As of June 12th I have noticed on the payment notification that I get from Etsy that the email address of my customer no longer appears, just like on the eBay payment notifications from PayPal.

On the email I receive from Etsy, if I hover over the link at the bottom of the payment notification that says "Send Them An Email" you can see the email address of your customer. But it no longer appears printed on the payment notification email.

Yet another example of Etsy following what eBay does. I shudder to think what might be next!!!
Marie

Perminate Link for Etsy Masks Buyer Email Addresses   Etsy Masks Buyer Email Addresses

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 19 14:47:51 2018

All of these companies are so paranoia. They seem to think by letting the sellers have the email addresses that the seller will take business off of the site.

Well I for one do it everyday. Email addresses are available you just have to do a little work to find them.

When someone buys from us their email address is added to our files. Each customers is given a 10 per cent off coupon code to use multiple times good for one year. They only have to email us via our email address which we sent them with their items in the mail.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 19 15:23:16 2018

@sasikat9

Then since your policy is to send out those emails to the customers Etsy nor Ebay are being "paranoid" as you are doing exactly what they are trying to prevent.

I'm not judging what you are doing, I'm just saying what you are doing is what they want to prevent.  From their point of view, you would not have access to these customers had it not have been for the site [Ebay or Etsy], therefore they are of the opinion that whatever sales you may have with these customers should be on their site so that they get paid for providing the customer to you.  That is not the definition of being "paranoid".

Again, I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, I'm only saying they can't be "paranoid" if you are doing exactly what they are trying to prevent.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 19 16:19:47 2018

Yep we are. Have been doing so for years. Just like anyother company on the internet we use those addresses for our mailing lists. Just like Walmart, JCP etc do.

What would you think of a company that won't give you the email address just a physical address????? Its coming to that and soon. I still say they are paranoid....but just don't understand that it can't be stopped.

Oh and by the way. How come Ebay has my email address. I know. They love to send me all their offers of free this and that and how to improve etc. Junk mail all. If they are entitled I'm entitled.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jun 19 16:20:32 2018

eBay, and now Etsy, are afraid of off-site transactions. I'm happily selling on eCrater, where e-mail addresses are always given to sellers. Maybe if eBay and Etsy didn't have oppressive policies, and weren't constantly trying to squeeze more money out of their sellers, their sellers wouldn't feel the need to sell off-site to save a few dollars.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 19 16:55:01 2018

@sasikat9

You don't need to defend yourself because of my comments.  Like I said, I'm not saying you are right or wrong.  I simply disagree with your example of what you are doing and then calling Ebay "paranoid".  When in fact you are doing exactly what Ebay has said publicly many times that they are trying to curb that type of behavior.

They aren't delusional, you are doing exactly what they don't want.  Again, personally I don't care.  I'm ONLY saying they aren't "paranoid".  Nothing more.

Personally I think in this day and age, email addresses are important and should be provided.

by: lamplady This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 19 17:52:49 2018

@Maria: The only thing I would add to the little conversation here is that if eBay treated their sellers they way they did in the beginning, we would be delighted to keep selling on eBay and not worry about having to sell off the site.  I'm another one who has elected to
rid myself of stress by curtailing my selling on eBay.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 19 18:33:49 2018

@Marie

Definition Paranoid: Extremely fearful = example He was so paranoid that he was afraid to walk the streets.

HENCE; Ebay is so paranoid that they hide email addresses for the fear of losing money.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jun 19 19:30:31 2018

@Marie - sasikat9 is 100% correct that eBay is paranoid. Paranoid that their sellers, who they try to rip off in any way possible, will sell off-site and, therefore, deprive them of their ill-gotten fees. eBay is paranoid that their sellers will leave in droves for greener pastures that don't hide their listings 24/7/365 and actually want to see their sellers succeed. eBay is paranoid that their constant lies and seller oppression will be exposed to Wall Street and the general public and that their reputation will end up being worse that it already is. So, YES, eBay is paranoid.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jun 19 19:57:08 2018

Mark my words!

eBay & Etsy will soon hide your ID from the buyer

When they process the payment there's no reason to give the buyer your ID or your email address.

You can send your buyer your ID in the package but that will be of no good since eBay will discontinue search by seller ID

Like Amazon sellers eBay sellers will be fulfillment tools for eBay ecommerce site

The road ahead is going to get tougher that's for sure

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Jun 19 20:36:39 2018

If eBay fees were competitive, my pricing would be more competitive, and I would not be entertaining alternatives.  But, again, eBay refuses to take responsibility for what they've done to hamper e-commerce.  They think they're entitled to 15% of lower and lower prices but reality is a different story.  When they eventually push too far, and eventually they will, Dummy Weiner and friends will blame everyone but themselves.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Jun 19 20:41:37 2018

Sorry, I forgot this was about Etsy.  If I ever got my art sales going, it would be a show-only affair.  Etsy seems like a real pain to deal with and I don't need more of that.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 00:22:34 2018

In that case..we should NEVER be charged charge back fees..since we are unable to vet fraud.

Anyways...idgaf what these moronic companies so..ill call my customers with issues if needed...or send them snail mail letter. I have every right to talk to a customer.

Not that i need to honestly..i rather keep it in ebay..i justbthrow business fliers in packages.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 20 01:50:43 2018

@sasikat9 & Jack

You two are funny.  Look I don't agree with Ebay, Etsy or anyone else withholding email address from the sellers on those sites.  But Sasikat9 admits to doing exactly what Ebay and Etsy don't want and then calls them "paranoid" because they are trying to curb such behavior.  That is NOT these sites being paranoid as they are trying to protect their sales.  Sasikat9 is admittedly doing EXACTLY what they are trying to prevent.  That is not Ebay being delusional about the intent of some sellers.

To be paranoid about something, one is extremely fearful or delusional of something happening.  In sasikat9 post, they stated FACTS about what they are doing with the email addresses.  All I said was the use of the word "paranoid" wasn't appropriate for the story they shared.

Now that certainly is not to say on other subjects Ebay and/or Etsy are paranoid about stuff.

And again, I don't personally have an opinion one way or the other on what sasikat9 is doing with the email addresses.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 06:57:57 2018

''From their point of view, you would not have access to these customers had it not have been for the site [Ebay or Etsy], therefore they are of the opinion that whatever sales you may have with these customers should be on their site so that they get paid for providing the customer to you. ''

True enough of course.

However, the contract established via the listing is for that item, and any conversion where fee for service is collected is, and ought to be, restricted and limited per terms of that contract, for the term of THAT contract only.  Nowhere within that contract does any limitation of potential future trade, transaction, or limitation of communcation, come to bear, nor is thus enforceable.

In other words, while a given site may be within it's right to structure transaction processes anyway it deems suitable, and while any who are made aware of such terms and thus effectively agree with them via acceptance of the covering 'contract' must comply with those terms, that does not convey right to compel accepting those terms for any future transaction where the site is not a participant.

A site can 'claim exclusive rights' to a customer all it wants for that subject transaction, but for that one only.

Regardless of whether 'paranoia' is the motivator or not, there is something more significant to consider here.   This practice is not only attempting to limit seller potential for (future) off-site transaction, but ALSO is attempting to limit a buyer's ability for future trade with a given seller to the site only.

And if I were the buyer, and was so handcuffed, I certainly wouldn't find that to be the 'enhanced buying experience' that these sites keep claimng as their motivation.

As others have pointed out, there wouldn't BE fear, if there wasn't something TO fear.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jun 20 10:01:40 2018

@Marie - If you don't have an opinion about what sasikat9 is doing, then why have you spent three long posts alluding to the fact that it's wrong? sasikat9 paid for a listing (which eBay most likely cluttered up with ads for other sellers' merchandise, or merchandise for off-site businesses), and paid FVFs for sales she got. The information for the buyers is hers to do with as she pleases. For years people who post on this blog have been saying to harvest e-mail addresses for buyers so that when said sellers start their own web site, they can e-mail everyone regarding their new selling location (or their alternate location if they already have an established web site). How is that any different than what sasikat9 is doing right now? This wouldn't be an issue if eBay treated their sellers with respect and didn't come up with practically a scheme a week to drain money from sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 20 12:53:18 2018

@jack

I NEVER said they were "wrong" in what they posted.  I was pretty clear in what I stated.  My only opinion was on the use of the word "paranoid" and further I have been clear to say that the other stuff they stated I was not talking about.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jun 20 13:40:43 2018

@Marie - Your quotes from above: "[Y]ou are doing exactly what they are trying to prevent." "[W]hat you are doing is what they want to prevent." "[Y]ou are doing exactly what they are trying to prevent." "[Y]ou are doing exactly what they don't want." "... doing exactly what Ebay and Etsy don't want...." "... admittedly doing EXACTLY what they are trying to prevent."

If you sasikat's actions aren't wrong, then why do you feel the need to repeat numerous times that what she's doing is what they don't want? It seems clear to me that you're trying to emphasis that what she's doing IS wrong.

And why did you keep putting 'paranoid' in quotes? Are you word-shaming sasikat9 for using 'paranoia' in her first post?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 13:43:46 2018

PERSONALLY, I dont agree with any of you :)

eBay (and etsy) are just PLATFORMS - or so they say - so why is it THEIR customer?

Did they buy the item? list the item? sell the item? describe the item? warranty the item? ship the item?

EXACTLY what did eBay do? Advertise something? Really? Where????

Are you (whom ever implies that taking emails and making off eBay sales) saying that eBay IS your partner and not "just a venue"?

Funny, since eBay told the courts they WERE JUST A VENUE.

So which is it?

You paid a listing fee - eBay is a website - THE website you paid to have your listing shown on. Then when the item sold, eBay got its cut - its VIG - its JUICE.

Sale is over, relationship is over - till the next time.

Besides - all the large retailers harvest emails - so why would it IN THEORY be wrong for small sellers to do so?

The info is in Paypal anyway, you can always include info in the package - so its really no big deal - its just eBay (ONCE AGAIN) trying to take what (I believe) ISNT theirs.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 20 13:47:31 2018

Update:
I received a purchase from a Guest on Etsy today.  On that payment notification the buyer's email address does show.

by: Interesting Antiques This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 00:55:21 2018

Etsy makes no sense, they ALLOW sellers to advertise their stand alone websites AND phone number!
I have repeatedly sent e-mails to etsy support to get a straight answer if this is allowed-not a peep. And those sellers are still doing it.
So the hiding of customer e-mails seems silly!