Mon June 18 2018 21:37:39

Overcharged when Using FedEx through eBay

By: Reader

My son shipped a package FedEx using an eBay label. He measured it exactly because 2 inches more and it would cost $125.00 to ship. So he was really careful to make sure he had the box cut down to the cheaper cost. Well, his eBay account was charged $125.00.

He called eBay and they told him to call FedEx.

FedEx told him to call eBay.

Ends up nothing he could do but pay the $125.00. And to top it all off the mirror ended up broke and FedEx said because it wasn't their packaging they would not pay.

So he was out the money for the mirror and $125.00 for shipping.

People need to be careful using FedEx for large packages. Don't know what can be done to prevent this kind of thing from happening.
Margaret

Overcharged when Using FedEx through eBay   Overcharged when Using FedEx through eBay

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 19 04:49:37 2018

OUCH !   Give us more details, please.   1.)  How HEAVY?  2.) WHAT were the dimensions that YOU reported?  3.) FedEx Ground, SmartPost, or AIR? 4.) Did you DECLARE PRICE and PAY for insurance as this item was OVER $100... or were you relying on the Included in the rate $100 coverage?
When you CUT DOWN some larger box, you were on the RIGHT TRACK, but you have to make it an IRREGULAR SHAPE? Irregular as in Length, Width OR Depth was there any EXTRA BUMP or Irregularity in ANY of the reported dimensions?  Many shippers don't comprehend TWO big points for Dimensional Weight packages ... a.) Even so little as 1/8th inch OVER means that THAT dimension must be reported as the NEXT FULL INCH  b.) And that the reported/billed dimension is for the MAXIMUM of each of the 3 dimensions NOT the dimension at the SQUARED-OFF Corners   YOUR report that FedEx denied responsibility as "... it was NOT in FedEx Packaging..." is NON-SENSE on their part.  FedEx does not provide 100's of CardBoard Box sizes.  My best guess is that 94 percent of ALL Fed-Ex (non-overnight-letter) packages are NOT in Fed-Ex packaging.
Just to go BACK a moment about that 1/8th inch OVER comment.  For ALL Common Carrier / Parcel Service companies the dimensions reported ALL and ALWAYS "Round UP, they NEVER Round DOWN"  example 11.875 inch rates 12 inches and 12.125 rates 13 inches.  Sorta' like the old Cancer Sticks for Women TV adds about "Silly Millimeter Longer".  101 mm vs. 100 mm lengths.  BTW  Same for reported WEIGHT as 5.125 POUNDS rates as 6 pounds, not 5.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jun 19 11:03:51 2018

@Margaret (OP) - I think your son should go to the nearest FedEx main office (not one of the little mall stores), take all of his information, and talk to a supervisor to find out exactly why he was charged the amount he was, and why his insurance claim is being denied (unless, as angryllama describes above, your son was rounding down the weight or dimensions). I don't think he is going to get any help by talking to someone on the phone; he needs to talk to someone face-to-face who has the ability to help him as, obviously, whoever told him FedEx insurance doesn't cover non-FedEx boxes is crazy (or purposely trying to save FedEx some money).

by: Slowest Learner This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 19 13:27:02 2018

I ship FedEx and print labels through ebay, but I don't believe I've ever been overcharged, I may have to recheck some recent shipments because of your story.

But I wanted to say regarding FedEx insurance, I think the operators who answer the phone are instructed to deny insurance claims.  I had a package that was shipped through FedEx (but through the FedEx website not ebay), and it was damaged by FedEx, the entire bottom corner was caved in and appeared to have been punctured by a fork lift.  Package was returned to me as unshippable to sender.  I called to file an insurance claim and the operator told me I only insurance it for $1.00 when I insured it for $100  The operators reasoning was that a $100 insurance needed to have four zeros as in $100.00

I ended up hanging up and recalling at a later time, got a nicer person to deal with.  For what it's worth I called in the morning.

My point is for the original poster to recall again and try again.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 00:27:47 2018

I hate usps..fedex..ups..all of them scum.

I weigh my packages perfectkt and get usps charging me over charges and ebsy doeznt even queztion them..just gives me usps email..guess what? I won e ery single time.

All the while..they up china rear.

Fed ex and ups always have about the same price..this is suspicious to me..why arnt they trying to beat each others prices?? Oh yeah..cause they are cobs

This user has validated their user name. by: DeathFromAbove

Wed Jun 20 03:08:56 2018

You have discovered the sad problem that when you generate a FedEx label through eBay's flow, "eBay" is now the shipper of record.  So if you have any problem, such as an incorrect adjustment, or damage claim - you aren't the shipper of record, so you are screwed.  Any adjustments would go back to "eBay", and since they don't communicate and even they don't know how their own system works - you would NEVER get a credit back even if you called FedEx and they adjusted the charge.

Solution:  Get your own fedex account and use it for anything large, or of any significant value.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 16:37:59 2018

I have gotten to the point of when I have no other alternative to ship via FEDEX, I weigh my package, measure it, print out my label results by doing a print screen, and take that with me to FEDEX when I go to drop my package. I have the teller double check my figures to make sure their's match mine. At that point if there are any differences, I'll cancel the label and start over. To many da-n times I get charged more at the end of the month where at that point you can't do anything about it. And (go figure this) I still got charged more on one package even after I went thru this. I swear FEDEX has to recalibrate their equipment!
I am getting to hate FEDEX as much as I hate eBay!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 06:15:06 2018

The issue is that he shipped a heavy mirror (breakable) with his own packaging.  OP, your son has to eat the cost.  Better to have taken it to Fedex and let them package it.  For $125, that mirror must have been an antique.  If it was an antique a) let Fedex package it; b) have lots of extra insurance.
Could your son have gone to a Youtube tutorial to see how to package it?
I sold a clay mask one time, and unbeknownst to me did I know that clay was so fragile.  Didn't package it securely enough and yep ! it broke in transit.

This user has validated their user name. by: VV

Thu Jun 21 08:11:33 2018

I've up measured and weighed and they still do this. It's COMMON. I rarely use it now. Unless it's significantly more I'll just pay the extra via USPS.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 09:49:18 2018

I gave up using eBay/PP labels LONG ago and went to Stamps.com where I've been very happy - the subscription more than pays for itself with savings in several ways.

I swear, it was like eBay/PP were trying to force me to link my accounts (which I refuse to do). Maybe 3 out of 5 times I tried to create postage, refused to link accounts and got error messages: ''System Unvailable - Try Again Later'' - a HUGE, FRUSTRATING waste of time. So I went to Stamps.com and that's never happened again.

Indeed, UPS/Fedex insurance claims can only be initiated by the Shipper.  IMHO this type of carrier has little or NO incentive to handle carefully - they do not care about insurance.  Our drivers seem to be good and I think the damage problem is happening in the sorting facilities where it is HURRYHURRYHURRY.  With possibly one or two exceptions a year I NEVER use them to ship items - I had a UPS account for a few months until I read the terms on the back of the bills of lading (''We do not insure this or that or this ...'' ) FRIGHTENING and I dropped the account.

Just last year I heard from a friend who had shipped a large package, and it was skewered right through the middle by a careless forklift operator.  They STILL claimed ''improper packing'' (?????) and fought the claim.

On the contrary, my USPS shipments are easy and prices are straightforward with no guessing about fuel surcharges or residence delivery surcharges. Any insurance claims have been straightforward too, and - honesty - I cannot remember the last time I had to file one.

by: jeanne*gene This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 17:27:11 2018

eBay is making a huge [profit on FEDEX when you print the label through eBay.  Used to have a corporate account as a franchise store for a major national chain.  Therefore, because of the total amount shipped (via the national chain), we got the same discount.  A $15 (over the counter), $12 on eBay costs only about $8 to ship.  I believe that eBay is pocketing the profit instead of passing along the true cost.