Thu June 7 2018 21:36:23

Getting eBay Email Addresses Despite PayPal Block

By: Reader

I've meant to bring this to your attention and that of the readers for awhile, but I keep forgetting to do it. As we all know eBay recently got PayPal to omit giving us a buyer's email address when notifying us of a payment or on the PayPal website. This of course cause many of us to be upset with eBay and PP as we like having that information for a variety of reasons.

As of today, eBay is still allowing the buyer's email address to show on the emails sellers can receive notifying them that a sale has happened.

I know some of you may have that email blocked in your site preferences. But if you would like to have the buyer's email address, you may want to reconsider the block.

Just a tidbit of information I was hoping some could use.
Marie

Getting eBay Email Addresses Despite PayPal Block   Getting eBay Email Addresses Despite PayPal Block

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Jun 7 22:38:15 2018

I can see the email addresses of my buyers on the My eBay Selling Page, I can also see them on Paypal if you click on the refund button.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jun 8 06:31:30 2018

And OP just let the cat out of the bag.  Don't expect this to be visible for much longer. What was OP thinking broadcasting this?

by: renaissancegirl This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 8 14:10:40 2018

I can no longer see email addresses either on ebay or paypal. Is there a way for me to see them? I cannot find it in site preferences

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jun 8 16:20:34 2018

@renaissancegirl

It isn't in your site preferences.  The email you get from PP  to notify you of the payment is omitting the email address of the buyer per an agreement they have with Ebay.

On the email you get from Ebay that tells you that you have a sale [not the payment email], the buyer's email address does show.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 8 16:21:39 2018

@renaissancegirl

I don't have seller hub.

That being said, on my eBay "sold" page, in the upper right hand corner is "customize", on that page you will see "buyer information" in that box on the right is a pull down where you can add email addresses.

On Paypal just click the refund button and you'll get an email address (you don't have to do a refund to see that page)

Hope that works for you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jun 8 19:29:31 2018

They don't show if you have the Seller Hub.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 8 22:14:43 2018

Once eBay gets rid of Paypal and they remove seller ID's on the website you'll have no idea where your item came from!

If you're unhappy and want to return that item eBay will issue you a return label.

WERE ALL DOOMED

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 8 22:45:36 2018

Will be interesting to see if contact info disappears altogether.
Business sellers in UK are required to supply info under , the Consumer Contracts Regulations legislation.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 9 19:13:16 2018

eBay's business was originally based on a seller / buyer transaction, similar to using a classified ad in a newspaper,  with very little interference from ebay other then to provide a service,

The more ebay alters this basic structure,  the more they alienate the buyer from the seller the more they will fail, it's just that simple,

by: Grady This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 9 21:50:12 2018

That's it in a nutshell. The venue does everything they can think of to make buying and selling a miserable catastrophe. They truly despise their customers, you know, the ones with the product and the skills to sell merchandise.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jun 11 00:39:39 2018

@Marie I have scoured several sale emails from eBay and I can't find the email address of my buyer. Where specifically are you seeing the address?

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jun 11 00:56:07 2018

I was able to pull up email addresses using @toolguy's method. eBay's IT team has a proclivity toward hoops-and-hurdles formatting. eBay's motto: "why click once when you can click three or more times to get the same information we used to provide with no clicks at all?" Like clickbait, it forces you to linger on their pages longer.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 11 01:16:50 2018

@LasVagueness

On the "Your eBay item sold! " emails I still see the email address of the buyer.  Maybe since you are not seeing it they are phasing this out too.

And No Rexford that would NOT be my fault!

by: Bird Mad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 01:29:14 2018

@renaissancegirl thanks for the tip. I found in the options also include buyer name which is sometimes helpful and Photo.

for LasVagueness, I find the customize option on my "Awaiting Shipment" page. I have an eBay store so my pages may be different than yours.

eBay just keeps making everything more difficult. I can't imagine they are missing much on commissions so hiding email is just insulting, infuriating, demeaning, disrespectful...

I feel like it is now time for me to bail on eBay or at lease get my own selling channels going where I am not beholden to eBay and their whim of the week and pointless attempts to fool wall street into thinking they are doing something innovate that will turn them around.

I long for the old eBay days. My best year was 2011 and it has never returned. Only work harder and make less has been my experience.  I am embarrassed for eBay management that they destroy what was good.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 01:34:45 2018

When I click on "reply" to the paypal payment email notification, I can see the buyers email in the "to" in the email.
I can also still see my buyers email address in the details area, when you click on the order number.

by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 05:11:29 2018

If you use third party software to manage your ebay listings and business then you probably do not have this problem.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 07:05:06 2018

Bird mad - I think we need some success and/or frustration stories from sellers that have setup their own web store. There are temples and services out there but what experiences have sellers had in making these work?

Well I had a somewhat successful website for 15 years - let's just say it was good and bad but it always at least paid for itself.  As technology improved sadly my website provider did not.  He refused to let me add a paypal button - he limited my listings to only one picture - stuff like that.  I terminated that website on dec 31st 2017.  I was very busy at that time so I didn't go after a new website till I think march or april.  I started over from scratch. It's been tough to say the least.  I went with BigCommerce finally after trying Shopify. The learning curve for me on Shopify was just too harsh. I'd gone to some blogger meeting in town and picked some tekie guys brains. Big Commerce was for me the simplest way to go.  So far  I'm up to 1600+ items and work on the new site daily.
My thinking is if ebay goes completely down the drain I have all my hard work backed up somewhere accessible. They have an export tool so I'm good.
Traffic - well it's pretty sad - my only orders so far are my family and friends. Mercy buys I call them.
I am promoting the site but it takes time. Although my name has been google searched almost 7,000,000 time (yes 7 million) it doesn't exactly convert into dollars.
Here's my thinking - if I'm done with ebay and I generally threw at least $500 a month at them to sell there well that's money I could be spending on google advertising. I've already cut my ebay bill in 1/2 by closing one store so far.
I don't think there is an easy fix to replace what we all used to have on ebay. As they continue to drive both buyers and sellers off the site I think people are fixating on other things more important now and some aren't shopping at all sick of all the Chinese garbage splattered everywhere and available on every selling venue.

by: CarolR This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 07:49:11 2018

One element of ebay transactions concerns sales of items that have to be picked up due to size.  There has to be a way for the buyer and seller to communicate directly without having to go through ebay's messaging.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 08:26:44 2018

@ whatever
I have had a website since the prostores days. I have Bigcommerce now.  It's okay, sales are pretty good this year, almost reached last years sales already. To keep costs down, I only advertise my most profitable lines. I use bing and google adwords.  I also have google shopping which works better for hard to find items or discontinued than everyday. The everyday items are given top billing to the big box stores and unless the shopper is smart enough to re-do the sort, they will just go to walmart or target. I tried most of the other advertising out there but those are the ones I have stuck with. I used to have great success with shopping.com but sadly that no longer equates to sales so I have dropped it.  I know I don't spend what I spend on ebay per month on my website when you look at store fees and listing and fVf and all the promo fees. The website fees are controllable because I put limits on it but those fees do not always mean I had sales. At least some of ebay's fees are sale related.
I am sure soon my website will be equal to or more than ebays unfortunately this will most likely be due to ebay's dwindling sales less than my efforts on the website.
I also offer paypal, paypal credit, stripe and amazon as payment choices.
The bigcommerce forums are terrible, the "experts" have no idea for the most part, if anyone ever answers your questions.
Maybe website issues/questions would be a good idea for Ina and David to get into more.
Good luck with your site!

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 11 10:24:07 2018

I have not been able to find the Buyer Info box. Can anyone be more specific on how to find it? I hit Customize on the Overview page, but there is no Buyer Info Box on my screen.

Thanks.