Sat June 2 2018 13:55:39

eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging

By: Reader

I was wondering if anyone has mentioned to you that when you are researching sold items on eBay that more often than not when you click on the listing it takes you to an active item and it will say on the upper left side "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."

The sold listing you wanted to see is suppressed. You can find it, but you have to click on "listing" in order to do so; needless clicking once again.

Also, I discovered that on some items it will take you to eBay's product page and not even take you to the sold item.

So this makes me wonder, once an item is affiliated with the product page/ eBay's buy box we will no longer be able to extract and research information for that sold item. Maybe this will be another way for them to generate revenue in the future, once all items are in the catalog?

Another money grab, by taking something away from us and making us pay for utilizing sold information via TeraPeak??

I bet this will be a new feature, oh I mean an experience, in the Fall Seller downdate.
A.

Perminate Link for eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging   eBay Makes Researching Sold Items More Challenging

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 2 16:30:16 2018

All of the sold items I look at are there.

I CAN'T replicate your search.

What are we searching for so I can see what you're talking about.

An example would nice. . .

by: thriftyone This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 2 17:58:13 2018

copy this into ebay search for solds: Sony MDR-XB950B1 Extra Bass Bluetooth Wireless On Ear Stereo Headset, Black

and this one

Sony MDR-XB950BT Headband Wireless Bluetooth Headphones - Black

It does it on other items too, not just Sony or electronics....maybe I am in a test....

by: Donna This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 2 19:50:15 2018

It happened to me today also while researching some books.

ete+psychological+works+of+sigmund+freud&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 2 20:36:02 2018

As far as TeraPeak goes, they are now less trust worthy now that they are a part of the Evil Empire since eBay purchased them, which mean the owner sold out for the big bucks.

One of the first things done was to eliminate the starting to be useful Amazon research. Not surprising. But a fall out of the purchase...

Still waiting to see about my just before eBay take over one-year subscription to the service which INCLUDED Amazon...... yeah right, I'm holding my breath for an ethical resolution.

by: akroag This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 2 21:36:05 2018

I noticed this problem a few hours ago.  I was researching completed eBay listings, trying to get an idea of the value of a few items in order to see if I wanted to bother listing them.  I searched several times and was mystified why I was no longer able to get to the completed or sold listings.  The browser kept going to current eBay items, which often were NOT what I was researching.  I could see the final values of closed or sold items, however, if I wanted to read the actual auction information or look at photos, I could not since eBay would not open the closed items — eBay kept sending me to open items in hopes that I would buy something.

One item that I searched for closed listings of was for a ''Plumb Barbara plumb bob” which is a metal plumb bob but is of a sexy female figure.  I had seen a blurry photo of one and just wanted to see a better closeup image.  eBay kept sending me to the default current plumb bob listings (since there were no ''Plumb Barbara'' items for sale at this time).  Very frustrating.  I started looking online for other people discussing the problem and trying to find a workaround.

Finally, after clicking search repeatedly, the browser went to a closed eBay auction and I was finally able to see some nice photos of a ''Plumb Barbara.''  It was like it was a glitch.  I then searched some other items like plush dolls and animated character items and about 1/4 of the time, was able to get to a closed listing.  Most of the time I was defaulted over to current items for sale.  Huge waste of my time.

I am curious if this is going to affect how the web site Worthpoint.com works.  Will they be able to keep updating the final values of eBay listings if eBay is making it difficult?

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 01:36:19 2018

Ahh.  Another valuable seller (and buyer) tool eradicated by eBay.  Is it greed?  Or paranoia?

As in, any gamblers out there want to lay odds on how long it takes eBay to monitize access to that data?

Double or nothin' that they don't even try to give a rat's groin about accuracy.

Side bet: they simply fear the truth of the data itself.  No 'S', no STR.

Could be of course, they're just plain stupid.  In which case, all bets are off.

Or should be.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 04:10:23 2018

My vote tends toward the "stupid" side.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 04:52:26 2018

I was also checking out some sold listings and when I clicked on the sold listing, instead I was taken to an active listing for a similar product.  A little later I was looking at the discussion boards and noticed that one person mentioned that if you clicked on the word listing that shows up in the left hand upper side of what is shown (in the blue bar)''

If you click on the word listing there you will then be taken to the actual listing you were looking for in the first place.  Once again Ebay makes it harder for people to find what they are looking for and requiring more clicks to get something accomplished.  of course they do not explain any of this so once again buyers and sellers will give up and move on to another site.

Ebay does not understand that most people do not really like change, but understand when it is necessary.  But the constant changes that Ebay makes to justify their jobs or to implement Wenigs Disruptive Technology program is doing nothing but chasing more and more people off of the site.  He just has no clue how to run an Ecommerce company, or any company for that matter,

Give the buyers and sellers a chance to adapt to the first set of changes before you make another unannounced change and convince them that what they wanted is no longer available.

To place the word listing in blue inside of a blue bar is so beyond stupid. This is actually a new low for even Ebay to accomplish.  They have now shown that they have absolutely no clue what is happening at their facilities and the Executives have no control over their staff.  It is the patients running the insane asylum and the leaders have no clue what is happening.

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 05:01:40 2018

still works for researching sold items. It also gives you the actual price accepted on sold Best Offer items

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 05:12:26 2018

I don't see "the word listing in blue inside of a blue bar" in eBay. For me, when you click on a listing title in Sold Item search results, you get redirected to some other active listing. I don't see any way to see the description of the original sold item.

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 05:13:17 2018

The morons really outdid themselves this time.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 06:29:00 2018

@nsc

You do not have the blue bar on that redirected listing that Ebay shows you?  That is where I found it and it is hard to see as the blue colors are almost identical.  It is on the left hand side at the top of the listing they are showing you to try and entice you to buy a different item than what you are really looking for..

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 09:59:01 2018

OK, so the really BAD PART OF THIS is when an item ends, that has had watchers or people following it and they miss out on it, they can't go back to it and ask the seller to relist it for them! I have so many people that come back to me and ask to relist an item for them but now they cannot get to the original listing. This is one of the worst moves this company has made and is doing a great disservice to both buyers & sellers. Absolute morons!

by: akroag This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 12:10:47 2018

Yes, http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php does still work to research closed items, however, you still can't go to the closed listing (to look at the pictures or to read the description).  Everywhere you click, eBay takes you to a random current listing in hopes that you will buy something.

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 14:25:36 2018

@Silver Ice King, no I just don't see that blue bar at all

@akroag Ebay's new behavior isn't universal for me. I can still see some listings by searching with the item number, which watchcount search results show.

With the item number, you can search Watchcount's "eBay's Most Watched"
which gives more information about an individual listing, though not the full description. You can also use to the item number to search inside eBay.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 21:39:36 2018

@nsc -

You are correct - they changed it again and now you cannot access the old listing at all.  Sorry that it did change again and that I wasted your time looking at it.

by: GrumpyHam This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 22:04:21 2018

Idiotic move. One of the most useful features still available.
Of course their favorite Chinese sellers wouldn't use such a thing, so why support it.

eBay makes me want to puke. .

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 00:28:43 2018

@TomH
If anyone is looking at renewing their Terapeak subscription, check out the new prices, on mine, I am paying 15 a month but the most expensive for those just newly subscribing is 12.
I have written to them to find out what is going on. I am sure there will be some BS reasoning behind it like I can see my meaningless past sales or some nutty reason.
I disconnected it from Amazon and Walmart the minute I found out about ebay so they will have to think up something better than that.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jun 4 00:45:31 2018

@thriftyone I tried both and am getting the sold page with the sold price. Everything looks good to me. Could be a test or regional glitch?

by: EyeFlipDaily This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 4 01:13:07 2018

geez, how LAZY can people be!? Accept the change and adapt, or reject the change and quit.  There are waaaaaaaaay too many crybabies on these comment threads.
"Crying/Complaining solves Jack Schitt" - Gary Vee