Wed Mar 7 2018 11:32:37

Why Does eBay Obscure Auction End Times in Search?

By: Reader

Almost everything that I sell or buy on eBay is in auction format. When buying, I don't like to "click" on an item because as much as eBay's search stinks, it sure has no problem revealing that awesome buy that I found by listing it at the bottom of the page "See What Other People Looked at After Looking at This" (although I imagine that "Sponsored Items" will be taking over all of that prime real estate soon enough.)

Lately I have had to click on items just to find out what bloody time the auction ends! Why, well because eBay has been rounding up or down auction end times to the nearest hour when viewing them in "Ending Soonest". Yeah, okay I can do "Newly Listed" and see what military Pacific Time the item was listed at (then add 3, minus 12 for eastern time; math isn't my strong suit, but this works for me).

I am interested in a certain sellers items. I click on "Ending Soonest". Seven items show end times at 9 p.m. But they don't end at 9:00 p.m. They end at 9:02, 9:15, etc. eBay used to show the exact end time in the "Ending Soonest" because in an auction format timing is everything. (yes, I know, this makes too much sense).

Why in the world would this be tinkered with? I am wondering if this is going to be changed back. Or should I just add to the list of "Remember When eBay..." e.g. Remember When you looked at "see other items" for a seller and in the list of categories there were parentheses showing the number of items that were listed in that cat?" so you didn't have to click on Jewelry only to find there was just one item listed. Remember When you previewed your selling listing and could see all of your photos magnified not just the gallery photo? Could go on and on.

So what do you think. Does the actual time that an auction ends matter? Should eBay be showing potential buyers the real end time or just some rounded up or down hour?

Thanks much for all you do Ina. If it weren't for you I wouldn't have a clue!
Sincerely,
VeryGoodVintage

Perminate Link for Why Does eBay Obscure Auction End Times in Search?   Why Does eBay Obscure Auction End Times in Search?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 7 14:10:23 2018

I hope this all works out for you.  However for me, I don't see the same problems you are reporting.  But sometimes an Ebay glitch or problem does not affect everyone.  Good luck.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Wed Mar 7 14:30:28 2018

A couple theories:
- Any opportunity to get buyers to click around more increases engagement. More pageviews = more views, clicks and conversion opportunities for PROMOTED LISTINGS.
- As we’ve seen the last couple days, as eBay continues to forcefully excrete their minimum viable product deployment as quickly as possible without fixing current problems significant site issues crop-up and the place starts falling apart.  Could be that they are re-prioritizing backend resources from non-critical (displaying accurate auction ending times realtime) to more important areas (to them) in order to even out the load.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 7 14:33:11 2018

They just hide listings if the load is to great.  They have always done that.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Mar 7 15:45:45 2018

I went to look at a doll line that I collect, and I only noticed one auction that had the rounded number (5 hours), while the rest all showed hours and minutes.

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 7 19:44:02 2018

I never see this. I get exact times only.