Sat Jan 13 2018 17:13:03

Amazon FBA Seller Battles with Returns Fraud

By: Reader

Return fraud on Amazon FBA items is rampant. I have been selling iPhones via FBA for some time. Recently I sold iPhone 8 Plus via FBA. Over half of my returns are fraudulent.

One buyer returned 8 of these items. FBA refunded this buyer in full for every return. What makes it worse is the fact that I filed a reimbursement claim for the same fraud back in April on an order sent to the same name and address. Then in November they pulled the same scam on iPhone 8 plus with 2 different buyer accounts both utilizing the same contact name and address as the fraud that was pulled in April.

Another buyer purchased 7 8 plus and returned all of them for a full refund. The items were resealed and inside the boxes was metal weights or fake phones.

My question is why is Amazon putting all of its algorithms into always monitoring sellers for fraud and nothing into the buyer side of the equation. The true scammers have figured out a way to game Amazon and honest sellers are the ones that pay for this.

I am happy to send pictures or be contacted if you would like more info about my experience. Amazon needs to take action on this as no buyer should be able to purchase 7k worth of merchandise and rip off Amazon so easily.
Joey

Perminate Link for Amazon FBA Seller Battles with Returns Fraud   Amazon FBA Seller Battles with Returns Fraud

by: Studiolines This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 13 17:39:55 2018

I hate to hear this happened to you. Look up the u tube video's on how to get free i phones from eBay and Amazon. Might be your culprit. I would think that they would check them at FBA on returns of that nature. I would pursue it legally with that customer for sure.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jan 13 18:47:18 2018

If you have enough proof to prove what you are saying, go to the Press.  Try and get someone to write an article about it.  Generate public interest.  Turning to Amazon for help will be just a waste of time.  But if you get enough bad press for them, they will pay attention to you.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jan 14 11:54:46 2018

@Joey - File mail fraud complaints against the buyer(s) for each phone. File theft reports with the buyer's police department for each phone. If they are valued at $7K, that should be a felony. Contact the FBI's internet fraud department and give them all the information you have. Don't just sit there and complain; take action against these thieves!

This user has validated their user name. by: DeathFromAbove

Mon Jan 15 00:08:34 2018

If you think they care about your handful of second hand iPhones, think again.

Their mission is to make you quit - so bald cross-eyed stone-faced guy can have all the money while he smashes dom perignon bottles on top of wind towers which will forever "generate" more unending money - for him.

So - as amazon would prefer you just quit so they can control sale every sale of every item on earth, how close are they to making you give up?  Is the evil plan working?

Past stories have proven that fraud groups can exceed a million dollars in stolen merchandise and fake returns before amazon will even look in their direction.  One thing you will never hear is amazon paying restitution to 3rd party sellers when they allow a professional fraud operation to operate unhindered for years.  The problem is, with so many distributed sellers, everyone is too small or thinks they can't do anything about it individually - plus amazon is deaf if you don't say something with a lawyer.  Someone needs to get a class action together.  Amazing that anti-trust is never in the same sentence as amazon.  Although with 150 billion dollars, he probably has an army of lawyers who crush any dissent within hours, not days.  If you have the time to incite something, call some lawyers.  Mention anti-trust, returns fraud, illegal market manipulation, and class action.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 06:36:04 2018

Can somebody explain what the OP is complaining about?  It seems that he's getting too many returns, and not "fraud" returns, because the customer is returning the phones.  So what's the problem?  Maybe he would do better selling on Craigslist or Letgo?
And then he sells to the same person again even when he suspected fraud the first time.
Explain this to me.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 07:35:26 2018

@Chicago48

If you are a FBA seller on Amazon you have Zero control over who buys or whether they return an item.  You have to have the returned item pulled from FBA and sent to you to even know what was actually returned.

Amazon has as policy an alleged inspection of returned FBA items to determined if items are suitable to return to inventory.  This process is, well less than stellar. In fact it is lousy.

The entire process is based on numbers only, poor packing and poor inspection. Types of product you choose to send to FBA will definitely impact the amount of fraud experienced.  I, for one, never send to FBA any item worth more than fifty dollars. I rest easier and my blood pressure doesn't explode with the anger thievery engenders.

by: JoelHellmann This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 07:56:35 2018

There is no getting amazon to do the right thing. I no longer send amazon anything I paid more than 15 cents for. I still hate being scammed just on principle but I take it better now than I used to

by: Troy Stiffler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 08:26:52 2018

This is a problem for sure. I don't know how those with low markups keep it going. You know, like, if you're selling private labeled bed linens, and using FBA - your markup is probably 5% after all costs. One opened/returned product neutralized profit from another 20-or-so units. I've seen a lot of consumer-goods sellers go down for this exact reason.

I've had to stop selling some of my rebuilt tools, as it's obvious that someone bought it, used it for a job, and then returned it. There's nothing to be disappointed about with these particular products. It's like returning a toothbrush. And I end up in the red after I absorb the return costs.

My current position is that, if you can't absorb the cost, you don't have a functioning business plan.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 09:21:55 2018

I asked the question before:  Isn't there a block put on buyers that return too many products to AMZ?  I remember reading that some buyers were perpetual returnees and that AMZ (and others) started blocking them from buying.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 12:10:06 2018

Yes Chicago48 there is a block system. Amazon does not release actual real details.  You can easily be scammed by  many buyers with no actual blocks that you will be able to discern.

Product choice for FBA is critical.  The same Chinese junk abounds with many different (mostly FBA Sellers) names and titles for basically the same product. Fraud is rampant among these types of items.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 16:19:39 2018

I agree with DeathFromAbove when she says ''Amazon mission is to make you quit - so bald cross-eyed stone-faced guy can have all the money while he smashes dom perignon bottles on top of wind towers which will forever ''generate'' more unending money - for him''.

I'm hoping and betting that Walmart continues to grow online in order to put both ebay and Amazon in their places.

We certainly need more competition!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 18:02:10 2018

@Donald, I don't know about you but I don't need more competition!!
I'm not on Walmart, too stringent to pass the tests.  But I was reading that 1/3 of the sellers on AMZ are Chinese.  So that tells me that AMZ is alright with and the buyers are all right with buying Chinese stuff.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 18:29:35 2018

@chicago,

He''s complaining because people are returning fake phones, not the phones he sent

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 19:15:48 2018

@mindelec - OHHHH!!!! So he's sending the REAL apple, and they are sending back a Chinese knockoff?  That's bad.  Better that he try and set up a popup shop somewhere and sell peer to peer.
AMZ doesn't care about fake or real.  The only time they care is when they're sued.

by: Troy Stiffler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 15 19:51:23 2018

Also - I started out in the used-phone business. Back before phone leasing and all of that stuff became a thing. Around 2002-2008.

There are many sketchy people out there handling used cell phones. I was straight-up ripped off a handful of times. Mostly by USA suppliers who disappear on me. Around $10k over those years (which was a pretty big deal to me). Cell phones are an all-around sketchy business to be in. Some fraud should be expected. I'd never trust Amazon FBA in that market.

Frankly, if you're being scammed, stop using FBA immediately. I know it's hard to snag the orders on Ebay and elsewhere. But that's a big loss to be taking.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 18 16:36:08 2018

No one should trust Amazon or Ebay or Etsy. Amazon especially loves to help criminals