Tue Sept 19 2017 21:11:57

eBay Buyer Runs into a PayPal Roadblock

By: Reader

Perhaps this is not an isolated situation today 9/19/17 and perhaps you could ask around or run a story. I just had the strangest PayPal issue (4 times) while attempting to pay for eBay cart item at checkout on eBay.

I have a $50 kept in my PayPal account and thought to purchase an item on eBay for under $20 thinking I would just pay it from my PayPal balance. I am/this is a USA transaction.

By the time eBay expressed me over into PP to pay for the item, I was not even permitted to check (with a dot) with PayPal, instead, what PP did or eBay, they only allowed me to pay with Credit PayPal option.

PayPal only gave me 2 options to pay for this with: Application to apply for a PayPal credit card or select CANCEL send me back to eBay along with a pop up survey asking WHY I don't want to apply for a PayPal credit card.

I do not want a PP credit card.
I have a credit balance saved within my PP account.
I also have few of my regular credit cards saved in PayPal.

I tried to pay for this item 4 times and even cleared cache and restarted my system.

I am thinking that the reason others (online) on other sites, etsy, etc, cannot pay is because PP is FORCING them to apply for a credit card or hit CANCEL to end, logout.

Perhaps someone else can try from a desktop with a credit balance in PP to see if they're getting the same eBay checkout issues?
Thanks,
RP

eBay Buyer Runs into a PayPal Roadblock   eBay Buyer Runs into a PayPal Roadblock

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 20 10:46:36 2017

If this is so..it breaks a number of federal laws.

by: lamplady This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 20 11:38:46 2017

What browser are you using? I use Firefox and have found that the check box for pay with Paypal account is sometimes hidden, but will appear if you  hover around the page.

by: ctexan This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 21 15:55:09 2017

I had this problem also. When I looked at the seller payment info - they only accepted credit cards & PayPal was their credit card processor. I chose to buy the item from another seller.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Sep 21 16:07:15 2017

I would not go to all that trouble. Simply call PayPal and seek a direct resolution.

by: parkplace This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 21 16:28:52 2017

....sounds like user error, clean cache, try a workaround.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 21 17:08:45 2017

Similar, several times while paying with paypal credit it declines me because i already have a card.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 21 17:11:07 2017

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 21 18:20:52 2017

I had a customer buy an item and then decided it was the wrong size, so canceled it. I had swept all my PP funds into my checking account earlier in the day, so the ONLY money in my PP account was the money that the customer paid me (I'm in US, she was in UK). So I go to try to refund her money and PP says I don't have enough in my account and wants to take the money out of my checking account. Well I know this, when you are waiting for PP to pay you it takes awhile, but if they want money from you the process is expedited and the amount they wanted to take out of my checking from PP probably wasn't going to be there yet, so I had to hold up my refund and ask for $2 from my checking account. Thankfully the customer is understanding, but what a pain. The only reason that the refund didn't have enough money because PP wanted to make sure they got that .30 cent fee that they take even on refunded purchases. If too many customers ask for refunds in a week or month, those small amounts start adding up. PP, Ebay, Amazon all make sure they get their fees/funds before you. One of the reasons I really like eCRATER, as soon as you indicate that you processed a refund, if the purchase would have had a fee, eCRATER cancels it and no fees are charged - period.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 21 19:02:35 2017

I didn't know ecrater had their own payment processor.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 22 13:11:09 2017

That behavior suggests that the system couldn't determine that you did have a PayPal balance (and possibly thought you didn't have a bank account either). Given the apparent inability of obtaining any balance information for you, it offered the credit card option as a fallback.

Putting it another way, what else would you do with a PayPal balance except spend it? If the system could find your balance, and you didn't have any outstanding holds on it (such as from a recent sale), you would have been allowed to pay with it. I'm wondering if you've got some kind of disconnect between your eBay buying account and your PayPal account that had money in it to spend.

by: TMoore This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 22 14:37:11 2017

This is very disturbing news indeed. Up to now, PayPal has been a reliable payment processor. But I don't keep a running balance in my account; I always pay through from my bank account, and if I receive payments I always make sure the funds are transferred the same day. But if shoppers cannot pay without signing up for the PP card, then it's time to find another payment processor. There are several: Google Wallet, Square (which is a straight card processor), Quickbook Payments. But most of these only take a credit card for processing. PayPal is the only one which effects fund transfers and payments without a card. At this rate, I may have to move all my business to eCrater and forget about a private site. Why is PayPal doing this? Who knows? All I know is that it has put a bad taste in my mouth about using what I have relied on for years before this.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 25 10:18:48 2017

I think paypal has just as many glitches as ebay and no one is in a rush to fix them because they generally make them ore money - period ignoring the fact that it turns buyers off.