Sat Sept 16 2017 07:47:21

Have You Encountered the USPS Package Verification System?

By: Reader

I was wondering if any readers have had actual experience with items shipped through eBay shipping with incorrect postage under the new USPS Program......"On August 14th, the USPS began a program in which it verifies shippers have paid the correct amount for postage purchased online for packages."
Diane

Note from the Editor: We haven't heard of reports of any sellers encountering the APV program, which stand for Automated Package Verification. Note that it applies to all of the online postage providers including the USPS's own Click-N-Ship as well as PC Postage label providers EasyPost, eBay, Endicia, PayPal, Pitney Bowes, and Stamps.com.

Let us know if you run into the program on any of your packages!

Have You Encountered the USPS Package Verification   Have You Encountered the USPS Package Verification

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 16 10:29:30 2017

I'm willing to bet that this doesn't even exist and is just another scare tactic from the post office.

Even our postmaster hasn't heard of this animal.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 16 21:25:53 2017

i thought the po had always randomly verified package weight,  I remember getting packages postage due or upgrade to priority because they were over the weight. I didn't think it was anything new.
I do know that my husband buys a lot on ebay, and there are plenty of sellers scamming the system, and others overpaying because they don't understand flat rate or regional.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 17 00:07:58 2017

It's not a 'scare tactic'.  It's fair notice this IS occurring more often than prevoiusly randomly - and it's  now automated, at regional sort centers incidentally, so local PM's may indeed not be cognizant of all the details.

Of course, as sellers, one wouldn't notice until a buyer has an 'issue' with their postage due parcel.  Or, now, gets a bill instead.  And most sellers following this blog are not so careless - or unethical- so to find themselves in this position.

It also doesn't apply to millions of annual retail counter shipments (obviously), nor to those 'institutionally' shipped, like from Amazon for example, who have what can be thought of as 'liaison relationships' with carriers.  Other pre-paids are fair game.

But even then, these instances of 'underpayments' are typically way less than one percent, so most may see but one or two 'boo-boos' in any given year, if that.

Of course, for the PO, one percent of 5B packages (minus those less likely to need 'review') is a significant enough number representing enough potential lost income to make the effort profitable.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 17 02:27:26 2017

@fashionista

Yes, the PO does randomly check the weight and class a package is being shipped.  But this program goes further than that.  This program will actually bill the sender if they have not put the proper postage on the package.  That is what makes this different.

It has also been said that if the shipper pays too much for shipping they will get refunded.  But to me, that remains to be seen.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 17 10:49:24 2017

@snapped

For your information my local post office is the sectional center in a major city. My neighbor is the postmaster of said location. I REPEAT HE KNOWS NOTHING OF ANY SCANNING BEING DONE AND OVERAGE BEING CHARGED BACK TO THE ISSUER OF SAID LABEL.

Hence I still say it doesn't EXIST YET.

by: ConnecticutGal This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 17 23:56:23 2017

Haven't experienced this yet.  But, there are some funky things going on.  On 9/12, I sent a Priority Mail package from Connecticut to New Jerset.  On 9/13, tracking said "On its way to the destination" showing NJ.  Then, wham-o!  The package was in Chattanooga being checked in and out of received twice.  Today, 9/17, it is now in Kearny, NJ.  Interestingly, I bought the postage through Ebay and Regional Box A was more expensive than Priority and Priority was the same cost as Parcel Post.

by: Interesting Antiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 00:45:56 2017

Well as a buyer I have been charged postage due twice within a month. It was small  amounts in both instances under 2.00 so I didn't bother the 2 ebay sellers.
This has never happened before  as a buyer of  21 years on ebay I never had to pay postage due on ebay purchases, until now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 18 02:43:52 2017

@interesting antiques

I have no explanation for why you were charged $2 on shipping for postage due from your sellers.  I've never heard of that and if I were in your place, even though the amount is small, I'd contact the sellers and find out what is going on.

As for the subject of this blog, if there is to be a charge for unpaid postage due to the seller incorrect info or packaging or a combination of both, they will be charging the SELLER through whatever online service they used to create the label.  This will NOT affect buyers.  So whatever happened to you as a buyer is different and you really should look into it and find the source or the reasoning behind it.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 03:01:02 2017

The problem is you cannot type in the EXACT weight when you use Paypal / Ebay.  In AMZ you can type the EXACT weight.  For example 2lbs 2.8oz.  In Paypal/EB you can only type 2lbs 2oz.  It doesn't allow for partial / fractional weight.
I haven't encountered it and I always round down....2lbs 2.8oz is 2.2.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 03:04:25 2017

On a similar subject - the Priority mail flat rate and tyvex envelopes (5.75) are also supposed to be measured to see if they are too bulky.  Many of us use those flat rate envelopes to ship clothing like jeans.  I even squeezed a leather jacket in an envelope.  So far I haven't encountered a return because the envel. was too bulky.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 18 03:16:59 2017

@chicago

I'm not sure I follow.  If I'm in Ebay and I'm preparing to create a shipping label for a package that is 2 lb 2.8 Oz, I would enter 2 lbs 3 oz.  You can do pounds and ounces for Media mail and some other types of shipments.

Either way, for all methods of shipping Via USPS, 2 lbs 2.8 Oz would be considered 3 lbs for the purposes of the rate you are going to pay for shipping the package.

The PM flat rate envelopes are being checked for being to bulky.  It sounds you have just gotten lucky so far.  But you need to be aware at any time that could change for you without notice.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 03:39:23 2017

@ Marie, I guess I'm just lucky.

This user has validated their user name. by: mcfiver

Mon Sep 18 05:03:52 2017

I often ask the post office to weigh packages I've already prepaid for. Especially anything of value. It helps me double-check my home scale accuracy and ensures the buyer isn't bothered because of my error.

Having been selling online since 1998, I've learned via the post office and other carriers that the correct way to round out postage is UP, not down. If it's over, you simply round out to the next higher number.

I have no problem with the post office utilizing a verification system. Actually, I always assumed they had one. The idea of asking a buyer to pony up for my penuriousness or sloth is simply bad business.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 08:44:43 2017

Still experiencing this issue. Now, the template comes up on ''Create Invoice.'' Sometimes the logo prints--sometimes it doesn't.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 10:26:19 2017

I stand in line at my po to get each item scanned - I have a USPO issued scale so my items are ALWAYS right but that said - my PO got all new scales recently with diagram of package sizes and they still look and weigh each of my items. Since the PO is in debt to the tune of millions I guess they needed to do something but buying all new equipment for the entire country might not have been the best choice. Wonder who in china got all that money for those machines? You know they didn't spend our tax money supporting an american company. Could be wrong but think not.

by: optikrock This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 10:33:56 2017

I agree with Mcfiver.  I always round up, and I've spent more time than I care to admit trimming tubes and packaging to get under the weight, because I always round up as to cover ""

by: optikrock This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 10:38:49 2017

Oops... to make sure I pay the lowest amount without risking a postage due charge to my customer. On international shipments using 1st class, a one-ounce difference in weight can cost you around $11.00.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 10:46:58 2017

As for "rounding" - 2.01 ounces = a 3 pound shipment.  If I end up in that circumstance I try somehow to remove enough weight to make it qualify for the next rate down.

@ Froggy - you would not believe what some of these local postmasters do not know. It's not because they are stupid, it is because they have not been told by their superiors.

I recently filed a "Missing Contents" insurance claim for a Priority package that apparently had come apart and the contents disappeared. This was via the $50 coverage now provided on Priority Mail packages. My PM had not been told anything about deadlines, details, how to help me file, etc. And this should be one of the more common procedures.  There is little incentive for PMs to try harder when they are stonewalled from above.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 18 20:59:18 2017

@ Whatever.

Capital acquisitions require a competitive bid, unless COTS equipment serves, in which case multiple options must still be considered.  As with all 'govt. controlled' organizations, there are requirements to consider US and small/set aside eligible businesses over a given percentage of the annually budgeted operating funds that are used to purchase.

Your local station being newly equipped is not indicative of the whole organization being so upgraded.

In any case, the USPS relies entirely, 100%, on proceeds from postal products and services they sell to pay their bills.  Including the one that takes them from a consistently profitable operating quarter to a loss, that being the Congressional mandate to pre-fund their pension fund 75 Years(!) into the future.

No tax dollars are, or have ever been expended on the USPS.  Unless one counts Congressional salaries and overhead spent by YOUR elected representatives to overregulate and micromanage.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue Sep 19 00:03:30 2017