Thu Sept 14 2017 10:25:42

eBay Seller Needs Help Viewing UPC Noncompliant Listings

By: Reader

Not only dealing with the Seller Hub, this week I also received an email concerning UPC codes. Any items without UPCs will not renew next month.

I called customer service to ask where I can access the listings without UPCs. I was told it would be great if there was a tool on eBay to give me those items, but sadly there is not.

No tool to see what items still need updated, I will need to go line by line through 4,000 items or they will go into my unsold items. Once again, these items will be easier to sell on Amazon.
Steve

eBay Seller Needs Help Viewing UPC Noncompliant Li   eBay Seller Needs Help Viewing UPC Noncompliant Li

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu Sep 14 11:57:56 2017

They have promised to ''pull'' all listings which do not have UPC codes for a while now. What eBay does not realize is that there are many items which do not have barcodes which are vintage and collectible. And they sell.

There are many, many examples. How about a rare private release CD from a popular band which does not have a UPC, and is worth over $100? Not to mention vinyl records. Will eBay tell a seller ''Sorry that we pulled that $1000 Beatles 1966 butcher cover LP from the site, but it does not have a UPC, is not in our catalog, and these are now the rules''.

Same goes for DVDs- there are rare (and valuable) films that were produced by local PBS stations, for instance, which were never sold to the public, so have no barcodes. I have sold many of these, and for very good money.

How about electronic parts such as transistors, resistors, vintage glass tubes, and the like? Though they in many cases are new old stock, they were produced long before UPCs were even thought of. And there are many of these which are coveted by collectors of old audio equipment.

So will these and other rare items (which most are not in Amazon's catalog) not be allowed for sale on eBay just because of another silly rule which makes no sense? This is a perfect example of why eBay is failing.

And here's a memo to toolguy: What if your vintage aircraft and machinist tools also fall under this category, and are no longer allowed to be listed, even though they are selling well. But since they do not have a UPC code, your items will be not allowed on eBay anymore. Good luck moving them on the River!!

Not a smart idea to enact a ''one size fits all'' policy which would get rid of the many unique items that can be only found on eBay. Then what would the site be left with?? Chinese junk and dropshipped Amazon Prime new items. And if they also begin gating items like Amazon, their value of gross product available will plummet to nothing virtually overnight. This cannot make investors happy.

This policy must be rethought before placing into actual practice. Hopefully for once they will listen to their customers (both buyers and sellers) before pulling many unique and good selling items off the site strictly because they were produced before the days of UPC codes.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 14 13:24:28 2017

My approach is I am not getting all worked up about this.  I don't like it any better than anyone else, I have just chosen not to go crazy because of it.  What I'm doing is changing and/or correct those that I find between now and then.

The rest will wait for Ebay to close them.  I will then correct those and relist or sell similar, whichever benefits my listing the most.

I know this may not work for some of you, I'm just sharing what my game plan is.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 14 14:23:46 2017

@eXtinctBay

Not a single Item I have listed has a UPC code

eBay has pulled ZERO of my listings. . .

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 14 14:39:27 2017

We just don't care anymore. We let Bayzon delete them and then relist them with DOES NOT APPLY.

Can do about 100 in 30 minutes.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu Sep 14 14:58:07 2017

@Marie

The question I have is: Is eBay going to permanently delete these so-called ''bad'' listings, or place them in an Unsold folder so we can use the Sell Similar function and re-list??

I simply do not have the time to start hundreds of new listings from scratch. And the items still will not have UPC codes, and won't be ''legal''. Maybe the plan eBay has is to sell barcodes to enable vintage items to be listed. With their many other attempts at money grabbing (like Promoted Listings), this idea is not too far-fetched.

Or perhaps they are taking the advice of many on this forum, and plan on starting another site or division for the listing of older banned items without required identifiers.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu Sep 14 15:11:33 2017

@Toolguy

''.....eBay has pulled ZERO of my listings. . .''

Not yet. According to this e-mail, soon all GTC items which do not have a UPC code will not renew automatically. Time will tell.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 14 15:33:57 2017

@eXtinctBay

I don't do GTC listings.

I manually renew my listings every 30 days or so. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 14 15:47:05 2017

@toolguy

Not all categories require UPCs.  So just because this is not an issue affecting you does not mean it does not exist.  There are plenty of sellers out there that this is a real problem for.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 14 15:48:07 2017

@feeling froggy

The option for Does Not Appy will be going away for those listings that are ones that require a UPC.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 14 15:50:38 2017

@extinctbay

An EXCELLENT question.  I too have asked that question of Ebay.  The CSRs I've talked to about this say no they won't be deleting them.  But I still do not have confidence this is true.

So I've pulled all my listings into Turbolister for safe keeping.  I encourage everyone to do that if they can.  Even if your don't have TL, maybe the 3rd party program you use for listing [if you have one] will enable you to do the same thing.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 15 02:34:38 2017

It's just one more thing.  On top of the last thing.  And the one before that.  And the previous three.  Month after month.  Quarter after quarter.  'Seasonal change' after change.

Eventually, one has to reach their limit of resigned 'appeasement and disadvantaged adaptation' to this nonsense, no?  To this involuntary enlistment into an unsound and too often, unapplicable agenda.  Some seem to have an almost unlimited tolerance for pain though, judging by how much each of these constant, ceaseless 'compliance' changes are unfailingly minimized or declared to be 'non-impactful'.

As for it's method of implementation, would it not make sense to allow existing listings to attrite normally, rather than arbitrarily yanking them on D-day?  And THEN require new post starting gun listings to be myopically compliant?  Maybe (to have been given) a 90 day limit on GTC's - though granted, that time has elapsed in the current compliance scheme.

No.  Not to eBay.  Their edicts are not so thought through.  Their notices - when they bother - are nailed to the tree before the ink is dry on them.

As for the code 'handle' itself, eBay is (still) so desperate to have something to use upon which to base their 'catalog', and to support their desire to control inventory 'exposure', that they are willing to inconvenience their customers and justify it all by declaring how much it will aid sales by supplying a metric that can be used by buyers for comparison.

Which they don't use as a search metric.  Or at least didn't need to for any of the 20,000 individual unique items they bought from my listings - none of which had a UPC.  Ever.  And I am by no means unique in that 'eBay experience'.

But that was before I had reached MY limit of acceptance and appeasement on how eBay demands sellers should conduct THEIR business.

While once again, in this case, their astounding incompetence even to supply reasonable assistance for being compliant is evident, albeit just yet another 'thing'.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Sep 15 07:54:32 2017

I am guessing that this will eliminate more than 1/2 of eBay's inventory.

So much for finding "IT".  The quest to be Amazon continues.  They really are working hard to be bought by Amazon.

And Marie, as you likely know, I would never put any faith in what an eBay CSR says.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 15 08:05:44 2017

eBay and Amazon are totally incompetent regarding UPC and other ID. Many and I mean many manufacturers / brand owner reuse the same UPC on multiple items. Most often on upgrades or different versions of the base item (same UPC but five or six versions of the item -- they are not the same item but presented as such).

Another game some play is one UPC for a piece of clothing for multiple sizes and colors.

Toy and puzzle manufacturers are some of the worse.  For example,  I have puzzles in a series of same UPC on each but up to seven different puzzles; highest I've ID'd so far.

Regardless of what they might announce, Amazon has not actually solved the duplicate, multiple, false UPC problem and I very much doubt that eBay will either as neither actually controls any of it (well, Amazon does control it on their own branded items).

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 15 11:13:19 2017

dw should quit wasting time and just pull all the listings except for the Chinese junk sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 15 12:28:37 2017

The drive to have UPCs has NEVER been because of Ebay.  Ebay has actually resisted it as long as they could.  They have been trying to implement this for over 3 years now, so it should not be a surprise to anyone.

But Ebay is NOT behind this drive, it is GOOGLE and has always been GOOGLE.  I know it is easy to blame Ebay for everything that befalls us that we don't like, but that does not make it true.

I agree that we will see some sellers resist this move to the bitter end and may not return to Ebay.  That is a choice to be made by each seller.  Is it worth it to them to update their listings or is it not.  A personal choice for each of us.

Sellers do not have to shut down because of this policy.  They just have to find the proper UPC for their item.  UPCs are NOT required on all things sold on Ebay.  There are exceptions, lots of them.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Fri Sep 15 15:30:43 2017

@Marie said:   ......But Ebay is NOT behind this drive, it is GOOGLE and has always been GOOGLE.

THANK YOU!!!   I have been warning for YEARS about Google,  and about dozens of issues.  If anyone thinks Ebay & it's stupid rules and ideas are bad, take a look at what it takes to be SUCCESSFUL as your OWN WEBSITE.  Google seems to think everyone should do everything it's way, so that it can index the ENTIRE world, and report even MORE worthless results (soon to be in the trillions).

Google hates anything but white on white pages.  They hate text on photos, borders on photos. Anything that is ''Not Mobile Friendly'' (in their opinion) is penalized for viewing on small devices.  (undoubtedly all devices eventually).  They are worse than EBAY when it comes to deciding just what ''searchers'' are ENTITLED to see.  Where do THEY GET OFF deciding what is best for me, my website, my searchers (customers in my case) ???  How can we have only ONE real search engine, and yet let them SET ALL THE RULES ???

Nobody is more pay to play oriented, and in a better way to force it on to everyone else, for THEIR OWN BENEFIT.   On most of these issues, they would have you think that their rules will bring back more MEANINGFUL results.  Just more TMI !!!   NOBODY GOES BELOW THE FOLD !!!  It's Google's massive results that clutters it all up !!!  I do a lot of real research on the internet.  DuckDuckGo beats Google hands down for any real research, but you can't have a successful site without page 1 or 2 of Google.

Open your eyes..... Google, Amazon, & Walmart are the Elephants in the room, and will be the death of anything resembling free enterprise if something doesn't change.  Ebay is just a poorly run, also ran, of no real consequence, except to you and I as sellers that it takes advantage of.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 15 17:12:36 2017

Regarding Google
I totally agree with BuildingMyOwnSite  and Marie.

And I also mostly use DuckDuckGo, but as BMOS mentions, if you have your own site you really need page 1 or 2 on Google -- unfortunately.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 15 17:41:29 2017

@toolguy

Just because you don't use GTC, don't be so sure you aren't affected by this.  If you sell in a category that requires the UPCs to be on the listing, you won't be able to list them again until you update your listing.

For me GTC is a fantastic function and saves me a lot of time every month.  I would not want to go back to 30 BINs for the vast majority of my FP listings.  Way too much work for the amount of listings I run at any one time.

But for you, you have found what works best for you and I respect that.  Just don't think it offers you some kind of protection on this matter.  While you won't get Ebay closing any of your listings, you won't be able to post them again until you correct them if a UPC is required.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Sep 15 17:47:03 2017

Marie, why does eBay need to conform to Google for items to be found on eBay?  I get the fact that those items without UPCs may not show up in Google search, but if eBay could get their search working as it should work non UPC items would still show up for buyers searching on eBay.  And there are other search engines where eBay items would still show up unless they implement Google like requirements.

I do understand that most sellers want their items to show up in Google search and they must conform to Google's rules for this, but I am not seeing how not having a UPC would prevent buyers from finding those items on eBay's site.  I list UPCs when I have them but many items don't have them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 15 18:03:12 2017

@rexford

They don't.  But if they want to be found on Google in a reasonable manner, they do.

Certainly there are other search engines, but Google is the most popular.  So I for one would prefer to get them showing up on Google in a reasonable manner.

I respect that this isn't important to you, but it is important to others.