Sun Aug 20 2017 08:35:02

Guitar Straps Lead to Questions about Amazon Handmade

By: Reader

I don't know the experience of other handmade sellers on Amazon but Amazon does not appear to be enforcing their listing categories in the Handmade Department, at least when it comes to handmade guitar straps.

Currently, there is no way to list handmade guitar straps without abusing the listing rules, yet numerous "handmade" guitar straps appear if you search the Handmade Department for guitar straps. So many are listed now that I thought I must have overlooked some notice that a Music Accessories category was now available, tried to apply, and received an email from Amazon that no category was yet available for my products.

I have reported, on more than one occasion, these improperly listed handmade guitar straps with no action taken by Amazon to remove them. I know that my category of products is being misused. I just wonder at this point how many other sellers who play by the rules are seeing similar listing abuses with no action by Amazon to enforce their listing categories.

Thanks for listening to my moment of grousing.
Sincerely,
Terri

Guitar Straps Lead to Questions about Amazon Handm   Guitar Straps Lead to Questions about Amazon Handm

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 21 07:42:21 2017

So typical for the Zon. They frequently look the other way when it's convenient to do so or when it's a Chinese seller. Chances are one way or another that those ''handmade'' guitar straps were made in China.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 21 08:34:49 2017

Write Jeff Bezos direct - jeff@amazon.com.  His assistants will reply.
Also there is a "report a problem" link on the page site.

by: Coolstraps This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 21 08:41:12 2017

I've reported the problem several times. All my reports sit in my log file as "pending."  I might try contacting Bezos directly if this isn't fixed. Thanks for the advice.

by: zenbreeze This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 21 09:31:24 2017

I've seen in the forums where sellers have asked Amazon where to list items and been instructed to list them "in the closest category" if none were available.  So, no surprise they don't remove improperly categorized items.

by: Coolstraps This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 21 13:26:47 2017

The process for listing in handmade is fairly clear. There is no way to inadvertently interpret or miscategorize a guitar strap listing in Handmade. These folks have them listed under "electronic accessories," "handbags and accessories," "belts," "fashion accessories," categories that are clearly not what they are listing. Sometimes the same seller will have their guitar straps listed under more than one of those categories. I think they know they're abusing the listing process.

by: ever-on This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 22 02:48:05 2017

Hi,

I agree that improper category use is annoying, but as a seller of athletic apparel on Amazon for quite a while I gotta say:  their listing categorization process is very confusing at times.

Their "search for category" while listing, has gotten a *little* better, but sometimes searching for "boys' shirt" would bizarrely only bring up 2 categories like "ice cream maker caps" and "women's driving vests" (I didn't even know they made caps for ice cream makers!).  Sometimes I would pick not completely accurate categories just to get on with listing, while I completely would have preferred to have the item in the correct one.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is while there may be some who are purposely listing in wrong categories (although not sure why - I don't think it really adds any particular advantage on Amazon, especially if it's the completely wrong one), there are just as many who are confused by the process and just want to get listing.

Best,
Steve

by: ever-on This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 22 02:49:22 2017

Hi,

Their ''search for category'' while listing, has gotten a *little* better, but sometimes searching for ''boys' shirt'' would bizarrely only bring up 2 categories like ''ice cream maker caps'' and ''women's driving vests'' (I didn't even know they made caps for ice cream makers!).  Sometimes I would pick not completely accurate categories just to get on with listing, while I completely would have preferred to have the item in the correct one.

Best,