Thu Aug 3 2017 17:19:36

Amazon Offers Advice in Wake of New Returns Policy

By: Reader

I read your article (on Monday about Amazon's new returns policy), and after being told on Tuesday by Amazon Seller Support that the buyer would be charged for the instant prepaid shipping label, I contacted Amazon again on Wednesday.

Amazon told me that the instant prepaid shipping label that will be given to the buyer when they request a return from 3rd party sellers will be charged to the "seller", however the seller can then request a refund from Amazon for that label once the return has been received and the refund has been issued to the buyer.

They have also stressed that we can charge restocking fees of 20% or 50% based on the Amazon return policies.

Third party sellers are always allowed to charge a restocking fee on all returns. 50% restocking fees would only be if the item comes back in a condition other than it was sent in.
L.

Amazon Offers Advice in Wake of New Returns Policy   Amazon Offers Advice in Wake of New Returns Policy

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 4 03:13:31 2017

I think you have to have a minimum of the $40 store on Amazon to be able to charge a restocking fee.  Sellers that don't have a subscription can not charge sales tax either.  There are perks that are not offered to non subscribing sellers.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 4 04:40:45 2017

Excuse me? Charge a restocking fee for an item returned NOT in the condition it was sent?  What about non-functioning products What about products broken in shipment? What about products missing parts? What about products of shoddy construction? A restocking fee of up to 50% would encourage devious sellers to sell something such as any one of those conditions & gain a 50% sale through this allowance.

by: cosqueen This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 4 07:29:47 2017

Amazon customers expect to be refunded 100% PLUS shipping regardless of how the item comes back, when it comes and back and why it comes back. Charging a restocking fee invites negative feedback.  I encourage sellers to watch their returned merchandise from fba.  Numerous times customers returned items they did not buy from me, including placing a different item into the box and then returning it to fba.  Amazon does not care. They refund everything.  I have also had items returned to me that i did not sell.  It's out of hand.  Again, amazon does not care.  Their comment about this is "we want the buyer experience to be positive."  Really??????? Even if they have proof the buyers are stealing?  Can someone please explain this to me.......

This user has validated their user name. by: VV

Fri Aug 4 07:41:31 2017

Charge restocking fee and get hit with AtoZ. Sure.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Aug 4 09:08:07 2017

Cosqueen says "Charging a restocking fee invites negative feedback."

Bring it on. If someone is scamming me I will do what I need to do to protect my business and my bottom line.  I am not infallible however.  I would not charge a restocking fee if I missed a product flaw.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Aug 4 13:36:20 2017

"Charge restocking fee and get hit with AtoZ. Sure."
This is exactly what happens and Amazon will rule against you every time unless maybe you paid $7 out of pocket for signature confirmation (and then they only hit you 95% of the time).

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Sat Aug 5 13:11:04 2017

@Marie

I no longer have a $40 pro selling plan. And I can charge a restock fee on a buyer's remorse return.

Amazon cannot take away the right of any seller to issue the appropriate refund when a buyer either doesn't read details or changes their mind.