Wed July 19 2017 11:50:52

eBay Designer Reminds Sellers of New Image Requirements

By: Reader

Thank you for your article about the PhotoBucket mess! I am one of those eBay designers who had many seller/clients who used the free PhotoBucket account to hold the graphics for the templates and stores I designed for them over the last 10+ years. You can bet this has caused a whole lot of work for me to update my clients' eBay pages.

One thing sellers who are revising dozens, hundreds or even thousands of eBay listings now to replace the URLs of their PhotoBucket images should know (or be reminded of) is that eBay recently announced that in the next few months, they will require files such as images on eBay will have to be on a secure website. (You can tell if a website is secure as it's URL will begin with https rather than http.)

Because of this, I recommend those changing the hosting of their images away from PhotoBucket, should put the images on a secure site so they don't have to revise all their listings again in a few months.

To that end, I created a secure site for my eBay client's images; I sure don't want to go through this again when it can be prevented.

Since you are one who has informed so many eBay sellers over the years, I thought letting your readers know to "kill two birds with one stone" would be a service they should appreciate.

Thanks,
Sally
MiloDesign on eBay

Note from the editor: Here's more about the new policy announced as part of the Summer Seller Update:

"New requirements for secure images, listing templates, and functionality in item descriptions: To align with new industry security standards, eBay will begin exclusively using the HTTPS communications protocol in the coming months to send and receive information between your desktop browser or mobile device and our site. We have used this protocol for many years for transmission of most sensitive information and are expanding its use. Item descriptions that contain externally-hosted cascading style sheets (CSS), images, or HTML5 video may be affected. To ensure that your item descriptions and images display properly, ask your hosting provider or third-party partner to support HTTPS and update listing templates or descriptions accordingly. For optimized display on both web and mobile, we recommend that you upload your images to eBay."

eBay Designer Reminds Sellers of New Image Require   eBay Designer Reminds Sellers of New Image Require

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 19 14:38:41 2017

One would be a fool not to be using a secure website for anything that they do.

But there will be those that say " I;ve never used one and never had a problem" HA HA

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jul 19 18:57:21 2017

I keep all my photos on my desktop computer.  Does this mean I will have a problem?

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 19 22:06:44 2017

@ Marie

Are you saying that you keep all your images on your PC and are hosting the images when called for by whom ever may be looking at your item on eBay? Or are you uploading a copy of the image(s) to eBay or some other service for use by eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 20 02:25:07 2017

@Tom

I just upload them as needed.  It really has never presented a problem for me or a need to have them hosted somewhere.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 20 03:18:13 2017

Marie:

I believe this applies to third party hosting only, where eBay (actively) retrieves listing content from a third party.
Shouldn't affect typical 'communications' and uploading for eBay 'hosting'.  If it did, it would freeze out most eBay users.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 20 03:31:42 2017

Thank you Snapped.

by: sallymilo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 20 11:21:42 2017

Item photos which are uploaded from one's computer to eBay during the listing creation process will not be affected by anything photobucket or another web host will do. It is those with templates of graphics hosted on photobucket or who have added GIFs or extra product images in their description from their photobucket account who will see (if not already seen) the photobucket ''blackmail'' images.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Jul 20 11:23:48 2017

It's pretty stupid to require an SSL certificate just to host images.  People need to try learning something about computers instead of shutting down and sucking their thumbs like frightened children.  Otherwise we'll all wind up locked inside of walled gardens unable to do anything not approved by the gatekeepers.

Besides...if I was to put myself on the hook for the additional recurring fees (that will, surprise, be passed on to customers) for that certificate, why wouldn't I just host the entire storefront myself and cut eBay out of the picture completely?  eBay's duhvelopers are as lazy and stupid as their executives.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 20 23:37:45 2017

Hey RKTOYS, I have a lot going on in my life right now and learning html and protocol and image crap is not high on my priority list. But I certainly don't "shut down and suck my thumb" either. I found your comment insulting. Why not try being helpful instead? Just a thought.

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 20 23:50:22 2017

RKToys is right.  There's no need for SSL when you're just transferring pictures you don't mind, and in fact want, people seeing.

Buying an SSL cert just makes my own site that much better.

by: marty This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 21 06:40:52 2017

"To ensure that your item descriptions and images display properly, ask your hosting provider or third-party partner to support HTTPS and update listing templates or descriptions accordingly. "

If you don't have too many images, this can be done rather quickly. If yo have several thousand images embedded in your description hosted on a third party server, you will have to change every link in your description from http to https. Bonanza has been requiring this for quite some time.

This user has validated their user name. by: SalesBoy

Fri Jul 21 09:16:44 2017

I use two methods of uploading photos to eBay.  One is simply to upload copies directly from my PC, which is not affected by the new rules on eBay.  I'm not a mega-seller, so this works well for me.

The other method is to supply them to eBay via my listing service, SellerSourceBook, which uses the https protocol.  I use that service when I want a sharp template to jazz up my listings.

So, this particular change won't affect me, but only God knows what other changes, usually unannounced, they must have up their collective sleeves to disrupt our businesses!

This user has validated their user name. by: SalesBoy

Fri Jul 21 09:24:09 2017

P.S. Regarding RKTOY's verbiage, it might be better to dial back on adjectives like "lazy", "stupid", "duhvelopers" and "frightened children".  A high and mighty, smarter-than-thou attitude isn't usually the best way to convince others.

by: hashtaggs This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 21 11:12:00 2017

just get a secure cloud or use an external hard drive to store images and upload them directly into your listings, I have always used an external hard drive, I may need to reuse a picture again

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 24 02:46:13 2017

I agree that an https URL for images is just a warm-fuzzy, but certificates are now free:

This technology is now built into modern website control panels. It only takes one click. The rest is fully automated. I still use a normal $2.99/year certificate for my primary domain.

--David