Thu July 6 2017 08:53:41

eBay Seller Reports Problem with Phone Support

By: Reader

Has anybody ever brought it up to your attention what's going on with the eBay phone contact page?

Normally, once you dialled the number, and the automated system answers the call, a bespoke code is generated to flag up your phone number and an automated search matches the number to an account, then the verification is completed when you're asked to enter the code, similar to a captcha routine.

For the last two or three months, this application seems to break down half way through the call; the code is generated, but the automated system is totally unaware of its existence, and it starts a lengthy interrogation process to identify the caller.

The painful part about this hiccup is that once you are identified, the call is thrown into a global pool of call centres, and in my case, it's either a centre in S/E Asia, or South America whereas in the past when the system worked, I was always allocated to a UK or Ireland call centre.

Apart from an obvious language barrier, a general low level of knowledge of eBay rules and regulation is very frustrating, not to mention a total ignorance of issues such as local shipping systems and bank holidays etc!
Thanks for listening
Manny

eBay Seller Reports Problem with Phone Support   eBay Seller Reports Problem with Phone Support

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 14:30:08 2017

With 5 anchor stores we have never had a problem with CS phone calls. Most are answered within a minute or two. Never longer.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 6 15:28:58 2017

@froggy

What happened to your dedicated CSR since you are an anchor store owner?  With 5 of them, you should get quick CS.  As I'm sure you know, with the HUGE anchor store fee increase came a dedicated line to call or something like that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 6 15:31:29 2017

I have many times had the problem the OP describes.  It has been going on for years.  Even when you know which dept you need to talk with and tell that to the first CSR, most times they will not transfer you until you have explained everything to them.  They try to advise you, you insist you need a different dept yet the first CSR in confident they know what they are talking about.  After much to do, they will finally transfer you.  I've had this happen more times than I can count.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 17:40:10 2017

@Marie

Gesh I thought you would know. Anchor stores don't have a dedicated person per say. What happens when you have that anchor store the phone number you use is what gets you (special treatment that you pay for). If we call from our home phone we get routed to the anchor store CS usually within a few minutes. If I call from say my daughters I have to inform who ever answers the phone that we are an anchor store. Never a smart idea to call from any phone other than the home phone as the wait is longer.

So yes Marie ANCHOR stores have their perks. Just like the carrot jumpers except one has to pay for the store and the jumpers have to rush around and fret each day.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 17:42:26 2017

Oh and Marie with over 40 thousand listings one would be on the stupid side not to pay for the 5 anchor stores.

You see we are a business not hobby sellers and as such have learned to pick our fights with ebay as most problems are just common sense solution types. Nothing to get all bent out of shape over.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 6 19:47:03 2017

@froggy

Thank you for the info.  I had an Anchor store [just one] until be big price increase, then I dropped to Premium level.  I don't run anywhere near the number of listings you do.  I am a full time seller on Ebay, just not at your level.

I had heard about the problems with the Anchor Store CSR perk, I just wasn't sure if Ebay had fixed that yet.  Obviously not.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 6 22:47:15 2017

So....the solution to solving eBay's horrendously frustrating, hypocritically operated and ineptly outsourced CS is to pay them money for an Anchor Store?

No doubt, if they're paid enough, they'll park a rep in a seller's driveway too.  Then THAT seller can claim categorically there is, without doubt, absolutely nothing to possibly get ''bent'' about.

Let the rabble make their ''noise''.

Or maybe, and this is just a wild haired idea here, eBay can actually operate in a manner both consistent to how thay claim (aka ''as described''), and with what it takes to sucessfully support BOTH the 'superior' ''business seller'', and the lowly (shudder) ''hobby seller''.  Oh, and perhaps toss in some clarity in their ''communications'' with their paying customers (that would be the sellers), as well.

Then there would be much less NEED to contact eBay to fix, clarify, correct, or report something.

Of course, that would mean the price of the anchor might have to be 're-valued' somehow - but that's probably no biggie to those guys.  They've had a lot of practice spinning.

A lot.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 7 08:16:59 2017

@snapped

AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN...Get over it. Move on

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 01:05:59 2017

Anchor store CS works great for me.  American agent who could and did solve a problem in just a few minutes.

by: RedSqrl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 01:22:15 2017

I have only a basic store.  I've always been routed to what sounds like India based on their accents.  I wouldnt care where i was routed, but every single time it's a drone reading a script mindlessly. Theyre asking me irreverent questions and love to tell people clear their cookies.  If they cant solve It, They get off the line by saying they need to research it and will call back.  I've never in my life had any ebay support person call me back -- theyre such liars.

There's no way to get an issue escalated. If I call back tomorrow I have to start over from square 1 because todays rep isnt able to read notes from my last call.

I dont know why they have a phone number if they cant do anything more than read help pages to me.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 04:16:22 2017

I always call the anchor store number they never do anything special for me but say stupid things in English. They never fix anything and never refund anything. But they do answer the phone quickly, so I guess that is something. I  usually call in the mornings so maybe that helps not sure.

This user has validated their user name. by: Jono

Mon Jul 10 05:59:17 2017

@Barbbie would you care to share the anchor store number with us please? You could prevent me from jumping off the nearest bridge next time I have to call them.

by: Jim Y This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 10:31:31 2017

I always get through, but it is most always answered by inept people from other parts of the world.

by: JWsax This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 10:50:09 2017

My last time speaking with a US based rep about a problem she was clearly indifferent to and kept referring to our wasting time.  She would not escalate the call or do anything for me and I've since taken $70K in inventory off ebay and am moving to other platforms. My approx $10K in fees per year meant nothing to her/them. What I really thought was that I was getting "old white guy" treatment as her tone was contemptuous from the moment I spoke.