Fri June 23 2017 16:30:52

Seller Says PayPal Has a Problem with Walmart?

By: Reader

I wonder if others are confused why their PayPal Debit MasterCard is declining at Walmart / Sam's Club locations when there are absolutely no issues with their PayPal account and more than enough funds available to cover the charge?

After noticing repeated declines while using the card at Sam's Club (but no other merchant), I learned PayPal auto-declines those attempts as they are having "a very difficult time with fraud with that merchant".

I was advised by a PayPal Debit MasterCard representative to call before I am going to purchase so as to avoid the embarrassment and time wasted after it declines and you are forced to call PayPal for approval.

That has been my routine now for the past 5 times I was headed to Sam's to make a purchase. They verified me before I went in and cleared my card for the charge. Seems a bit amateurish for a giant like PayPal ... but for my business purposes I want those Sam's charges to be off my PayPal balance.

Today I was told they couldn't do that by a supervisor. That the only way PayPal Debit MasterCard holders could use their (perfect account for 13 years) PayPal Debit MasterCard in a Walmart or Sam's Club was to have the charge decline ... call PayPal ... go through the verification process ... confirm the amount ... then have the merchant run the card again.

Pretty rinky-dink for a big player like PayPal, don't you think?
Tom

Seller Says PayPal Has a Problem with Walmart?   Seller Says PayPal Has a Problem with Walmart?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jun 23 21:32:45 2017

My wife's card was rejected at Walmart earlier in the week.

My card has had no problems at Walmart.

She was embarrassed to say the least when her card was denied.

Thank God she had some cash stashed in her wallet.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Jun 23 23:42:33 2017

Walmart and Sam's are set up so that when you use a debit card it will only go through as a debit card because they only pay a small amount for the debit card transaction. They themselves decline it and not PayPal. This has been happening since the middle of last year when I first ran across this with my card after they switched to the new chip card readers. Eventually all debit cards will be only able to use as a debit cards with the new readers. That way PayPal will not have to pay the cash back on their debit cards when you use it as a credit card.
I ran across the same problem with one of my bank cards since I was to lazy to use the pin but it went through OK as a debit charge and I had to use the pin.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 24 06:12:06 2017

I'm wondering if the REAL ISSUE is with the way the PayPal Card ... HAS NO CHIP.  I can easily see that INTELLIGENT stores will start FLAT OUT requiring that only CHIPPED cards are accepted.  Very few in the public ever SNAPPED to the HUGE- change RISK that un-chipped card acceptance now holds for stores.  Prior to the BIG BANG change over to CHIP verification any BOGUS charge by an unauthorized buyer or with a STOLEN charge card was the responsibility of the BANK THAT ISSUED THE CARD for Charge purchases.  NOW the MERCHANT is responsible for any NON-CHIP charge even IF the card was STOLEN and used by the Card-THIEF.

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 24 08:07:21 2017

Sounds as if llama has hit the nail on the head!

So if I understand - PayPal has "fraud problem" with Walmart, but in typical PayPal fashion, it's a problem of their own making!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Jun 24 16:06:00 2017

Too bad PayPal doesn't demonstrate the same level of concern for ebafia's fraud problem buyers.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 25 07:26:55 2017

PP has the process in place to 'suspend' transfer of credits to eBay sellers whenever a 'payment' is made with unverified funds.  Effectively, their action is rendering the 'Merchant' (seller) as the responsible party pending resolution.  This might 'inconvenience' the buyer as well of course.  It's the price we all pay to fight fraud.

If they don't have this process in place for their relationships with other 'merchants', it seems reasonable they'd have no compunction acting unilaterally to achieve the same result for themselves as they deem fit.

The 'chip' aspects requiring at least two attribute (something you have, something you know) verification can work for non-chip cards by simply requiring a PIN at POS regardless, but that's on the merchant to enact.  Seems that should be enough though to preclude need for PP to 'otherwise 'ensure' their gazillions are not diluted via buyer fraud.

And yes, mechants SHOULD be held responsible to ensure validity of the BUYER. Or rather, whoever controls the POS.  But the viability of the instrument (the card) remains the ISSUER's responsibility.

The trick is getting them to work efficiently together.  Or as once better put, ''Aye, there's the rub.''

by: The Not So New Guy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 00:37:53 2017

This has been an ongoing issue for us. The truth is very hard to get because no one wants to tell people what is really going on. What I have found is as follows;

PP cards used at walmart for under $100 are being "forced" though as a pin debit. The fact that you haven't entered your pin means nothing, just look at the receipt and you will see it. Because of this if you call PP and claim the charge is fraudulent PP is forced eat the charge as MC has no dispute ability for a debit transaction. Walmart is aware of the issue and won't correct it.

The only viable work around I have found is this- When you swipe the card change the payment type to credit. Make sure the cashier doesn't press anything on their side because if they do they are forcing it as a pinless debit. The cashiers do not understand this, but this is what the walmart system is doing. So you must stop them from touching anything while you change to credit and be sure it goes through as credit. 98% of the time this effective.

I have not tested the alternative option which is to be sure the charge is over $100 and change to credit then the cashier can press anything they want but over $100 can't be forced through, or so I've been told.

A simple chip would solve the whole issue, but so far no chip cards yet. Though PP says "they're coming".

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 00:40:42 2017

This thread may have explained why I couldn't use my no-chip bank debit card for a payment at Googledomains.  It was declined as too risky.
Google couldn't explain it and neither could the bank.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 07:07:22 2017

It seems paypal is having a problem with lots of people.  I think they have gotten to big for their britches like many companies do and forget who put them there.  They totally have lost touch with the customer.

by: glasspackaging This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 07:34:49 2017

My card was declined at Walgreens and my grocery store on Friday... yet accepted after at a restaurant... been having this issue for months.

The answer is simp,e... moving funds to my bank and just use bank card as PayPal can't explain why this is happening.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 08:27:05 2017

In our area it would be a waste of time for vendors to require cards with chips, since a good half of the ones I see, the ship reader part doesn't work right so we still have to slide our card. I don't bother using my PP card at all. I prefer to transfer the money to my business account and use my regular debit card when needed.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 09:42:05 2017

Out here in Cow Town we have had issues with several places of bhsiness, one being STAPLES, where even WITH a chip card you cannot BUY things.  They claim it is KEY BANKs fault.  So we got a NEW replacement chip card after needing to buy stuff there and being yelled at by the cashier! In that case I happened to have a valid Chip card from the bank KEY bkught us from and that worked ok.But we continue to have issues with the KEY cards, I have to activate mine ( sti using my old bank card) as KEY wont support old cards now but dreading it.  Have to have stash of cash at all times because these cards wont read.  What is the POINT if I have to keep cash on hand JUST IN CASE?
And even with the chips a lot of places dont have the readers turned on.  Canada -- we had an issue, KEY claimed we now have to CALL THEM anytime we are "out of town" to what-get permission to spend OUR MONEY?  SHEESH.   Since we arw ALWAYS out of town this is absurd. Need to shop for new bank I think!

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 09:52:26 2017

So far no issues with my paypal card at Walmart. Barclay with a chip will never go through at Walmart even though I can go right to any other place and use it for more money even though declined at Walmart.
Also, whenever any of my chip cards are declined there, usually the cashier says just try it again and most of the time they go through.  Those Walmart readers probably have to be changed out more often.

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 12:55:45 2017

I have a few declines for no good reason over the years but none at Walmart.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 14:57:29 2017

I stopped using my Paypal MC at Walmart as it was declined almost every time.
When I called Paypal, they said that Walmart is a problem client.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 27 01:00:46 2017

I have the same problem. I have 2 PP accounts, one processes fine at WM but the other one is always declined. PP told me it was because "the WM location zip code comes up in the system as 00000 and PP can't verify it's a legit charge". The ONLY way that particular PP card will go thru at any WM now is if I ask for cash back and enter my PIN. So far, however, the OTHER PP account debit card works fine at WM. Go figure.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 27 22:12:55 2017

Add another store to the declining PayPal problem. One of mine has been declined twice in a row now at Smiths. The other one still works fine.

by: rmendaann This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 28 10:00:24 2017

walmart is about the only store around our area and I go there often.

my card is declined often and I stopped use my tax exempt card since its 99% of the time declined at a regular register. BUT at self checkout,it works 90% of the time and sometimes I have to scan it a few times to get it to stop denying it.

by: CNYC This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 30 21:34:45 2017

I have never been in a Walmart, but if I ever do go I will remember not to use
Paypal.  Thank you for warning people on this.

Now, Staples, I have been going for years and never had Paypal declined.  I always use it there so maybe there was a glitch?