Thu June 22 2017 20:26:40

Has eBay Gotten Lax about Banning Bad Buyers?

By: Reader

As a long time eBay seller of 17 years, I have about 500 bidders on my blocked bidders list. You know who they are. Non payers, folks who make unreasonable or threatening demands.

With that many names on the list, I would notice that every month at least 5 or 6 had been tossed off of eBay. They would show up at the bottom of the list with a garbled ebay name followed by the word deleted.

For at least the last 4 months now, none of the buyers on my list have been tossed off. Not a single one. Or at least it seems that way.

Is eBay not closing accounts of non payers and policy violators now, or have they altered how that appears on my list. I'd sure like to know.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Joan

Has eBay Gotten Lax about Banning Bad Buyers?   Has eBay Gotten Lax about Banning Bad Buyers?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 21:44:37 2017

In all my 19 years on Ebay I have never known Ebay to bad any bad buyers. In Ebays tiny minds there is no such animal as a bad buyer just sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jun 22 22:51:03 2017

@Joan (OP) - Are you sure the word "deleted" indicated the buyer was actually NARU'd? I'm curious to know if you double-checked the names (and I know you said they were garbled, but perhaps you could figure out which IDs they were).

After I had been selling for several years, and had maybe 20 names on my BBL, eBay suffered a "glitch" and about 3/4 of my list disappeared. I still wonder if that was intentional since they don't want the snowflakes to have a bad buying experience.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu Jun 22 22:59:49 2017

Joan,

The encrypted names with ''@deleted'' at the end on a bidder block list are no longer registered eBay users.

They either left the site, were kicked off, or canceled their user ID and then re-registered with a new eBay identity.

Many of those in the third category have already been in trouble for their indiscretions, and then start over with a clean slate.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu Jun 22 23:05:40 2017

@EVERYONE

I suffered the same fate as iheartjacksparrow years ago- my BBL mysteriously disappeared.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to back up your eBay bidder / buyer block list to a folder on your hard drive!!

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 23:36:09 2017

I've always wondered what, if anything happens when you report a buyer? It's momentarily satisfying, but I can't help but think the buyer reports just go into space and nothing happens.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jun 23 03:25:43 2017

Joan

I've noticed the same thing.  And like you, I have no answers, only questions.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 23 09:12:44 2017

I only have around 20 or so people on my BBL ... most are old - no clue if they are still active.

The last few are ones that Ive had dealings with - where I won my cases with eBay and then just blocked them to insure I dont have to deal with them again (revenege buy etc).

Of course this conversation is REALLY part of the one on eBays own forums, where the "blue" goes out of his way to explain that the BBL doesnt really work and is basically ignored. The OP complained that even though he had the name on his list, the buyer was still able to open a new account - same pc, same info and do a revenge buy.

I dont have the thread ATM - but what and how eBay deals with bad buyers ....... is probably the way they handle every thing else ... Sellers bad, buyers good.

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 23 09:42:31 2017

IMHO, it's much more likely that those were VOLUNTARY "un-registrations" - most likely, the bums deleted their old accounts and created new ones.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 23 11:14:37 2017

as far as fleece bay is concerned there are
no bad buyers at all. but, all the sellers are bad.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 23 20:37:53 2017

Now when an unpaid item case is closed without payment the message Ebay sends no longer says 'an unpaid item strike has been recorded', it says something along the lines of 'we will note this for future reference'.

So it doesn't seem buyers even get dinged for non payment any more.

I know I've had buyers not pay me for items with a price as low as $.99 lately - the number of purchases people make and don't pay for are up to %5 or more of my sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jun 24 02:53:09 2017

@hope

I just closed one a couple days ago and my notification said "...an unpaid item has been recorded on the buyer's account."

I don't remember if the word Strike was in it before or not to be honest.  I don't think we can tell one way or another if this has any negative affect on a buyer's account.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 25 06:45:15 2017

When it comes to unpaid items, eBay's solution algorithm is FP[IPR > UPI].  Selling at auction?  Sorry, you're doing it wrong.

As for other buyer instigated issues worthy of 'reporting', a suitable placebo button has been provided.

eBay incurrs no cost for items they don't even own.  You don't really expect they's spend a dime actually acting on mere 'related' reports, do you?

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 25 07:22:33 2017

There are no bad buyers. They all have 100% feedback.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 25 22:09:11 2017

I blocked a buyer and she continued to buy with multiple  different ids. I knew her full name and her address because once she did get a purchase through and I canceled it. I emailed other sellers that had bad dealings with her and found out her other ids. She is up to 6 or 7 now. When I reported her to ebay, I got no help. They told me to cancel the sale but would not commit to saying that it wouldn't go against me. She left negatives and neutrals for just about every purchase under every id and I encouraged the sellers she did this to, to continue to call ebay and complain. They did but it took several months for ebay to actually act upon it and remove the negs and neutrals.Ebay told me she could have as many ids as she wanted.In all of her negs she complained about the item until a seller would refund her and then she retracted. Ebay did not care and still does not care.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 25 22:12:33 2017

I have to say that playing dirty with these type of buyers is the only thing that they understand. I took it upon myself, found out much information from the web and turned it on her and used it against her personally. I cannot say what I did, but I don't see her buying and sticking it ebay sellers anymore.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 01:58:43 2017

Frank Abagnale is right! All buyers have 100% feedback. We sellers are the bad ones ..

by: dasw This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 04:16:25 2017

I have a secret day dream. In addition to my BBL I have a Revenge List. I keep track of all my buyers that scam, not pay, lie, file false claims and chargebacks and who are just plain difficult and/or nasty. One day I will stop selling on ebay. Then I will get my special list out and have some fun as a buyer for those on my list who sell.  What goes around comes around.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 10:04:26 2017

I had one on my list recently who cursed me and ranted about something he himself purchased in a color he did not want told me what a criminal I am for selling it to him and vowed never to buy from me again! (After I offered to do an exchange for him).
Of course, I immediately put him on my BBL. The next day he cursed me out again for refusing to sell to him.
Unfortunately, this is the most fun you can have with a BBL. Ebay will do nothing and it will not stop revenge buying, they always could make a new account with a friend or family name anyway.  They are not committed to even warning them not to do it anymore. Last time I read the rules of buyer behavior, apparently cursing and threatening are okay now; if it didn't pertain to something against ebay it wasn't a problem.

by: Jim Y This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 10:37:59 2017

I get a lot more non payers than I have had in the past.  Although they are in violation of eBay policy, there doesn't seem to be a clear deterent.  What does ebay think they are gaining by retaining deadbeats?  What does Amazon do?

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 26 19:53:33 2017

Amazon is worse. They handle the sale; however, they can leave your unpaid items in pending for 21 days before releasing them and competitors will purchase items with a bad card just to run you out of stock while they sell.