Mon June 5 2017 11:06:03

Another Costly Shipping Problem for eBay Sellers

By: Reader

I'm writing to let you know of a major technical issue that my store is experiencing for the past month now. It seems eBay is displaying and also charging my Canadian customers an overcharge in shipping.

I use calculated shipping on my listings. Listings are generated on eBay.ca (I'm in Ontario, Canada) but for some reason if a buyer is viewing my listings on eBay.com then this is where eBay is displaying the incorrect shipping amount. It's usually about 40% higher than it should be.

Obviously this is affecting my sales if potential Canadian buyers are viewing my store on eBay.com instead of eBay.ca. On eBay.ca the shipping amount is accurate. It also only affects Canada destination and not USA or International.

Wondering if you've had or seen any other similar reports from Canadian based eBay stores? You're welcome to view my listings and see for yourself. Just make sure to select Canada as the shipping destination and enter any Canadian Post Code. You will see that the posted shipping rates will be considerably higher if viewing the exact same items on eBay.com

Let me know if you have any questions for me. Thanks.
E.

Another Costly Shipping Problem for eBay Sellers   Another Costly Shipping Problem for eBay Sellers

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 12:13:23 2017

Its so hard to understand WHY ANYONE uses Ebay or Paypig Shipping. There are many sites that charge the same price and are a lot more efficent on their sites.

No Glitches, Down Time, Overcharge.

How hard is it to transfer the tracking number to ebay site. In fact why bother as tracking is for the sellers protection not for the buyer to sit in front of the computer and check it hourly.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 5 13:46:36 2017

@froggy

That all depends on which method of shipment you are using.  While Ebay's FCP Domestic is the same as every other site out there that offer's online shipping, the other rates are NOT the same.

Ebay negotiated a very good discount on FCP International.  It is about 14% Less that USPS stated rate.  The Ebay rate is LESS that Amazon, Stamp.com and most likely others, but I've never checked.

The problem isn't in what Ebay's rates are for USPS shipping, it is that darn shipping calculator.  That thing has had problems since it was introduced many years ago and Ebay has never fixed the darn thing.

It will go along and work just fine for certain periods of time, then suddenly there are issues.  It is charging too much or its charging to little.

For these reasons I NEVER use the Shipping Calculator.  I do realize that it isn't always easy for a seller to avoid using the calculator, but you should be aware that it does have issues from time to time.  You can and should report them, but they just don't seem to do anything about fixing the program.  The glitch will come back or it may be a new one.  But a glitch nonetheless.

These glitches are NOT the fault of the shipping rates Ebay has, but a problem of the calculated shipping program.

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 6 13:16:37 2017

WE are having the same issue as the OP we use our own Fedex shipping but the rates quoted are on ebay using ebay's shipping calculator

It has been adding about 40% to calculated shipping and sales have dropped by 50 %

eBay has turned a deaf ear to tis issue

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 6 13:22:29 2017

@truk

Ebay does that and I have no idea WHY???  The program has had problems for YEARS.  Complaints have happened for YEARS.  Yet here we are, years later and the same problems happen off and on.

It is the Shipping Calculator program that is faulty and always has been.  The best thing for a seller to do whenever possible is have stated shipping.  I know for many sellers that won't work well for them and they need the calculated shipping program to work.  I just don't know how to get Ebay to pay attention and fix the program.  Nothing has worked so far.

by: Trying-My-Best This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 6 16:17:00 2017

eBay is focused on spending money on advertising  "colorful tape".  Their other shipping issues are in-important.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 7 05:07:56 2017

WILD GUESS as to why 40 percent TOO $high shipping shown if Canadian buyer VIEWS and attempts to buy from a CANADIAN SELLER using the USA eBay website. GSP Global Shipping Program.  Some brain-dead eBay flunky has likely made the Command Decision that anyone in that odd situation should EXPECT to see the GSP version of what that shipment should cost. Why? No Legitimate Reason, but to be consistently about 40 percent TOO EXPENSIVE is pretty much in line with how much TOO EXPENSIVE it is to use GSP to ship from a USA seller to a CANADA buyer. GSP is not only $higher shipping right from the Get-Go, but it also IMPROPERLY applies the "percentage tarrif" on items IMPORTED into Canada even if the STATED VALUE of the item is below the threshold $value where the TARRIF is triggered and charged.

by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 7 09:33:57 2017

Problems with calculated shipping have existed since it was first available.

It isn't just ebay that has this problem.  Fedex is notorious for showing an exact cost based on package size, zip, commercial/residential address, etc. and then billing later for additional (often unidentifiable) charges.

I would be delighted to use calculated shipping if I could trust it to be accurate.  In the meantime, I will continue to use flat rate I calculate (time-consuming but as accurate as I can make it).

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 7 11:13:41 2017

I have been using ebay's calculated shipping for USPS for years and it is spot on.  Only problem I have is with combined shipping.  My rules state to ADD the weights.  But if 2 packages weigh over 16 ounces, ebay simply ADDS the 2 costs together.  Usually not a big deal...it will cover the priority cost.  I had a sale where sending separately would be less expensive than shipping together, but I could NOT get the items to uncombine.

But overall, no problems with ebay's calculator using USPS.

by: lalaland This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 9 00:58:51 2017

I add a paragraph to my listings that says the calculator is often wrong, so if rate seems out of line, to please contact me for exact shipping cost.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 9 05:19:54 2017

ALL calculated shipping is shown at the end of the search results.

ONLY USE calculated if you have NO CHOICE. Otherwise it won't matter if it works or not, you are probably not gonna sell it anyhow.

by: skl3255 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 9 07:26:23 2017

I quit using the calculator years ago.  Instead I charge an economy flat rate based on the zone furthest from me and list my shipping as economy. If they are in a zone close to me  I send the package Priority to account for the overage in shipping collected. But I rarely sell anything over 3 pounds either.  Many times I see these outrageous shipping charges so I write the seller to find out if that $36.00 they are charging for that 3 pound package is correct.  I'll also ask if they would consider shipping economy over expedited.  I wrote one the other day to ask if his $32.00 charge for a cookie jar was correct. He told me it was because he uses 4 pounds of packing materials to send it.  I'm looking for another cookie jar that doesn't have four pounds of packing materials to unwrap.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 9 08:58:23 2017

This has always been on ebay.  What some do not realize the calculated shipping charges are an estimate.  If you do not know the exact weight of the item before shipment it is impossible to know exactly what the shipping charges will be.  I have lost money from these shipping charges before and sometimes it is maybe a dollar or two over but it averages out in the end.  I normally when its over, I offer my customer a 20% discount on another item purchased from my store within the same month.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 9 10:59:13 2017

Minnie got this one right - there is NO problem with eBay calculated shipping. The only problem is the seller putting in the wrong information. The old adage - GIGO - garbage in, garage out. I am thinking many sellers are not aware that the box size is now more important than the weight.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jun 9 16:58:33 2017

@spooky

That most certainly is an issue from time to time, but your dismissal of glitches is just not backed up by the facts.

There has been several articles on this site over the years of various problems with the calculated shipping program.  Yes some are seller error, but others are not.

Ebay has even acknowledged this on occasions.  I'm not disagreeing with you that sellers make errors too, because they do and they have.  But that simply does not mean that the program has not had countless glitches over the years since the time it was introduced to the site.

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 13 08:01:29 2017

The way around it is to calculate shipping and charge a flat rate.

The calculator likes to malfunction. I have only been been doing calculated shipping in the US depending on size/weight.

I charge flat for anything a pound or less.

Flat to "Worldwide" and have a totally separate flat price for Canada because the amounts are so different.