Sat June 3 2017 09:38:44

Is eBay Tinkering with Search Again, Seller Asks?

By: Reader

I am wondering if eBay has been fooling around with searches again. Recently I tried to do a search for golf cart in the active listings and I could not do a search for highest or lowest. The search would always revert to best match. However, I was able to change the search parameters when I went into sold listings for golf cart.

I didn't try any other categories but I had a friend try the golf cart search and he had the same situation. It's very annoying.
Ann

Is eBay Tinkering with Search Again, Seller Asks?   Is eBay Tinkering with Search Again, Seller Asks?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Jun 3 12:00:19 2017

I looked at the Golf Cart category

I got 213 results and could put them in order high to low or low to high.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jun 3 18:04:03 2017

I'm not having any problem with my search set up, but I am having other issues.

My daughter wanted a perfume by Burberry.  I did a search for Burberry Body and it returned and I got a little over 1000 returns.

But if I do a search and reverse the words to be Body Burberry I get over 1700 returns.

I'm not so sure they are actually messing with the search as I've had similar problems off and on since Cassini went site wide in April of 2014.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Jun 3 20:07:15 2017

I had the same situation as the OP a couple of days ago. The search did not allow me to see anything other than Best Match. I cleared up about ten minutes later.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 4 07:39:42 2017

So, basically now we have another situation where we wonder if this is a glitch or purposeful on Ebay's part like a question that was posted on this site a few days ago.  By the way, the person who did the search for me to confirm my observation was another tool guy -- loves Ebay and can't say anything negative about it.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 4 12:23:14 2017

Ebay according to popular belief DOESN'T TINKER WITH ANYTHING

THE MORONS KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING. LISTENING TO THE NOISE MAKES THEIR DAY.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Jun 4 12:45:06 2017

To quote The Offspring: This s__t is f____d up

Marie, I did a search like you did and got the same results.

Why would it matter if the words are switched around?

EBAY has LOST it's WAY

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jun 4 13:04:08 2017

@toolguy

Thanks for checking, at least I know I'm not the only one seeing this happen. It makes no sense at all as to why Cassini does this.  It isn't logical at all.

It certainly can have a lot to do with why sales are down.  On top of Ebay hiding listings periodically, there is the malfunctions of Cassini.  No wonder sales are so bad right now.

I just came off my worst month EVER for sales and I've been at this a very long time.

by: Vernfern This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 00:35:49 2017

I ran into that while searching for computer memory the last 2 nights, and not as a seller checking sold prices but as a buyer looking for the best price.

Sure enough, once I entered the details on the RAM I needed, the price + shipping order was missing. No option to search lowest to highest. However if I used less details, I did go on and see the old pages.

The first thing I felt was eBay was making my selection for me as if they had the best solution for what I was looking for. That dreaded ''eBay is doing the shopping for me'' total BS.

I felt ''screw this'' - I will buy elsewhere. Another total eBay screwup in the works. Another example of how business at the top is totally upside down.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 00:50:30 2017

Well on the positive side, Ebay has a fun new commerce out.

gn-amazon-fill-your-cart-with-color

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Jun 5 00:55:52 2017

''EBAY has LOST it's WAY''

This comment is from the biggest (and perhaps only) eBay cheerleader on eCommerce Bytes.

You're pretty fly for a white toolguy (another Offspring reference).

Be true to your school, Tool!!

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 09:13:06 2017

This is just a daily occurrence for me in one form or another. Endless search glitches have been reported here.....

just another day in the pits

by: Bidderboy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 11:11:05 2017

Just tried this with a search I use all the time. Flipped the two words and got over 4,000 additional listings returned!!!

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 5 20:32:33 2017

This smells very much like an A/B test to me.
They are probably experimenting to see what the sales outcomes are like for either search.
(But yes, it could still be a glitch).
As eBay have no change logs, it's always hard to figure out if changes are temporary glitches or permanent feature changes.
As for the differentiated search results based on word order - this is Cassini and it's always been this way.
Even punctuation marks make a difference - try using an apostrophe ie womens vs women's.
That's one hell of an advanced search engine lol

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jun 6 06:57:38 2017

I wanted to see every item by a brand called Barbour.  I simply typed "Barbour".  Search did not show me everything.

I actually had to type "Barbour shirts", "Barbour shorts", "Barbour pants", "Barbour belts", etc. (all separate searches) to see it all.

WHY oh GOD WHY eBay?  I wanted to see everything!!!!

by: pebbles This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 6 11:21:51 2017

Try searching Juicy Couture glasses vs Juicy Couture eye glasses.
That latter yields far more results... I thought more words narrowed the search, not the opposite!
Tool Guy, get ready... Your probably about to join the ranks of many other starving sellers. It started slowly for me as well.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 6 14:44:34 2017

@rexford

There is no good explanation or defense Ebay could come up with for this mess.

It doesn't make sense why you had to make those separate searches to see all the stuff.  And it certainly doesn't make sense that just reversing the words could make a difference in your search as it did in my example above.

There is no viable defense for this.  I firmly believe the mess has a whole lot to do with the ever shrinking sales.  Buyers just can't find our listings because Cassini is significantly damaged / flawed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 7 07:13:46 2017

Marie you are correct.  And the word "mess" sums it up perfectly.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 7 07:26:58 2017

Here is something else that I have learned recently and it is interesting in light of what we have recently learned  about eBay ending sellers' listings without their permission.

I was viewing images in the 3rd party listing site that we use recently, deleting old images to free up space.  I noticed that some of our items, while still showing on eBay (at least on our end), had not received views in hundreds of days. These are popular name brand items that are relisted every 30 days.

It is clear to me that just because I can see them in myeBay it doesn't mean that they actually exist on eBay as it relates to buyers finding them.

As a result, I have to now meticulously go through many hundreds of images to see which ones are actually visible and getting views. I will have to refresh them all.  It will take months of work.

I am not quite sure how this does not constitute as fraud.  Sellers pay for a service.  When listings are intentionally hidden, and sellers pay for listings to be seen, it is clearly fraudulent to hide them.  Yes, I know that it is in the user agreement, but we all know that user agreements are nothing more than CYA documents.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 7 08:55:31 2017

I have a search issue of a slightly different nature:  I was searching for 5 x 5 padded shipping envelopes and got mostly Chinese sellers...I don't want them.  So I changed my search on the left side to US Only.

You guessed it, same result, all the Chinese sellers still included.

ebay directive:  You WILL buy from our favored sellers! LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 7 09:16:36 2017

OnlyPollyPocket, yep, and when I get something like that I head right off of the site and buy them elsewhere.  :)