Mon May 1 2017 21:35:37

Buyer Says eBay Global Shipping Program Delays Delivery

By: Reader

It was suggested I write to you to tell you about how frustrated I am with eBay's new "Global Shipping" program in where the items I buy from eBay that used to take 3-4 days to get to me now take 10-14 days if I am lucky...and now sometimes 21 days in Saskatchewan.

This is ridiculous and the "Global Shipping" program seems to have partnered with Canada Post, our federal postal service that does not actually "courier" packages to my house, but rather drop ships them to their own postal "outlets" and sends a card in the mail for the buyer to "pick-up" the package.

It is literally ridiculous and I can't imagine any Canadian online shopper that isn't looking to buy anywhere other than eBay now if they can help it...go Amazon!
Randy

Buyer Says eBay Global Shipping Program Delays Del   Buyer Says eBay Global Shipping Program Delays Del

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 1 22:14:35 2017

How can that be....Ebay just got kudos and pats on the back for their global shipping program.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Tue May 2 01:23:57 2017

@Froggy

Yea, the awards eBay received for the GSP were presented by Pitney Bowes. The program is administered by.......Pitney Bowes, who also takes in a great deal of profit from it.

Since this was introduced, the number of complaints way, way outnumber the compliments. I would NEVER, EVER give a third party permission to inspect my package, and then have the opportunity to confiscate the merchandise.

And, as I mentioned the last time this subject came up, buyers in some countries do not have to pay Customs every time a package is signed for. These folks have become very upset when they discover the every-so-often fees were all of a sudden mandatory.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 2 06:03:09 2017

RANDY.... Chill Out.  Don't stop using eBay for items shipping from USA.  The Dam-Fool Global Shipping Program is OPTIONAL for the seller to ELECT to use or NOT USE.  I hate it as much as YOU and will NEVER EVER use it.  I was "(un)-lucky" enough to have been INVOLUNTARILY JAMMED into that God-Forsaken system TWICE over 2 years ago.  Thankfully purely by ACCIDENT I "discovered" that I was involuntarily "opt'd in" and immediately took steps to VOLUNTARILY OPT OUT. A single DVD that I sold and shipped using International First Class to Canada would have JUMPED UP from $10-ish to $25-ish.  NO FOOLIN'... 2.5 times as much for the exact same Less than 8 ounce package.  To U.K. Germany France POLAND it was more like $33 had I let them JAIL all of my 1,400+ DVD listings in the GSP system.  Crazy enough to pay $10-ish to get a DVD from Houston to Yellow Knife or Churchill but $30+ to send to Berlin?  I also ECHO the sentiment that I'd NEVER let someone else open and RE-package my shipments NOT only because of the risk that they would CONFISCATE and SELL my sold and paid for property just because it shipped thru Pitney Bowes.  By the way... MOST of the RE-packaging is done to MINIMIZE the PACKAGE size so that PITNEY BOWES can Reduce what they pay for Foreign Carrier delivery.  If YOU as a seller are selling anything DELICATE and elect to put the DELICATE item in triple layers of bubble-wrap and then FILL the remaining BOX with foam peanuts... you can EXPECT that the P-B Way of shipping will be to remove from THAT box and CRAM the bubblewrapped delicate item into a SMALLER BOX or even a USPS International FLAT RATE Priority box.  As you clearly ALREADY know about and READ here on eCommerceBytes you should also have noticed that very VERY few sellers who post here USE GSP .  Any time you find anything you WANT on eBay usa site just use PRICE plus SHIPPING to winnow out the GOOFS who do use GSP and then ALWAYS take the extra step to VIEW the "details on shipping" to see if the one that LOOKS cheapest to YOUR destination mentions GSP and then DELETE that seller.  Good Luck.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue May 2 07:52:20 2017

I noted the press release regarding eBay receiving an award for GSP.  That article, or press release, doesn't appear to be written by the Steiners.

As far as I am concerned the press release issued by Pitney Bowes is the equivalent of fake news.  Or at very least fake award.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 2 10:55:32 2017

I'm pretty the articles said Pitney Bowes handles the Global Shipping contract for Ebay, and was the one giving the award.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 2 12:45:05 2017

@Rexford

Yes, it appears you just missed seeing it.

R>From
the article: ''''Pitney Bowes is privileged to partner with such an elite group of commerce innovators to help move our businesses and our industry forward.''

There is a link in the article to the actual press release by PB, where it says the quote above again.  If that is of any interest to you.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm no fan of GSP, it isn't right for me.  But I respect that for others it works very well.  It's an individual decision.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 2 23:16:09 2017

randy, there are plenty of sellers not participating in gsp.  i don't know why any buyer would use it as the duties are always more expensive and they even duty items that shouldn't be.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 3 00:45:21 2017

A few years back we sold 3 things using Global shipping. Two arrived smashed and the bubble wrap, etc. that we packed the items in were missing. The third item a nice pair of brand new Levis, arrived in Kentucky and that was as far as they got as they disappeared off the map. That did it for us. I would never use anyone that repacks an item and puts into a paper envelope. Insurance paid for the loss of the Levis, but that does not help the buyer who wanted them or us who sold them. Time and money wasted.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Wed May 3 02:00:44 2017

No thanks to 5-7 tracking numbers, 30 extra day delivery (on top of normal delivery), and multiple emails from buyers "where is my item?!?"

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 3 03:30:01 2017

While I have a few hundred complaints about eBay, the GSP is not one of them. The couple dozen sells I've shipped through it, have all gone well.

This user has validated their user name. by: mcfiver

Wed May 3 04:21:47 2017

Thanks to the ridiculous increasing cost of international postage and eBay's sneaking into my account and opting me in to their global shipping option (even though I've turned it off several times), I no longer ship outside the USA.

As a seller, the idea of conceding control of the inside of my package to anyone else after I've prepared it for shipping is an absolute no-go for me.

eBay has essentially created a landmine field for sellers to navigate through when considering offering international shipping while USPS has increased prices without added value.

For us, it's simply not worth the time, energy and headaches.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 3 07:59:36 2017

I don't know about the timing for Global shipping or the high cost since we never know what the customer actually gets charged, but I have had two great instances where I was covered. I sent a $300 teapot to Europe and it arrived broken. Since Global shipping is supposed to check first to see if it was secure when it arrived in KY, they covered it and gave the refund to the customer direct. Second time, the package arrived i in KY fine and it didn't arrive at the final destination. Again, they paid. I don't sell as much with global shipping because 50% of the people who buy don't pay due to the high expense but I like not having to worry about damage once it does arrive and I sell china so that's a plus.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 3 08:53:48 2017

I don't really care if GS works well for some sellers because that is totally beside the point as far s I'm concerned. I'm a Canadian seller and on the rare occasion these days that I buy anymore I refuse to do so from sellers who use GS. The reason is twofold as some others have pointed out.  The program charges duty where NONE IS APPLICABLE and it jacks the postage to a ridiculous amount.

I can buy any ''not new'' item from the US and it is not subject to duty - occasionally I might have to pay sales tax when Canada Post delivers, but that is rare.

C & P From Pitney Bowes own website:

Overview

Import duty and taxes are due when importing goods into Canada whether by a private individual or a commercial entity. The duty valuation method is FOB (Free on Board), which means that the import duty is calculated exclusively on the value of the imported goods.  In addition to duty, imports may be subject to other taxes such as GST/PST/HST and excise.

Duty Rates

Duty rates in Canada range between 0% and 35%, where the average duty rate is 8.56%.  Some goods are not subject to duty (e.g. certain electronic products, antiques, etc.).

Because of the free trade agreement with the US, I have NEVER in 19 years of selling to the US had one single customer tell me he has been charged duty on items I have shipped to the US. I have always filled out the customs info on my postage so I can only assume that most items are duty free. There may be exceptions, but I haven't hit any yet.

Just to be clear, to the US I have sent some new items, but mostly previously owned, vintage and antique. Over the years that has included everything from electronics, books, albums, silver, clothing, glass, ceramics, toys, games, linens  etc etc.  There is hardly a category in antiques or collectables that I haven't used at some point.  If all that stuff was duty free going Canada to US, then under Free Trade it would also be duty free from the US to Canada.

Even if there are items that should have duty, I cannot imagine that the determination is being made correctly in the GS program. Any item I have ever looked at buying from a seller who uses GS has had duty noted. This tells me it is automatically added. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

An interesting question would be to Pitney Bowes.....are they actually remitting those charges to the Gov of Canada?

Even skimming off the ''supposed'' duty of up to 35% incorrectly charged on items under $20 would be a nice chunk of change to pocket.

To be perfectly honest, the GS program has been  boon to my business because it has greatly increased my sales to Canadian buyers. Previously many US sellers who sell the stuff I know specialize in were selling for less than I can even taking into consideration the exchange and shipping to Canada.  Add GS to the equation and I now have a huge price advantage. Throw in US sellers who won't ship to Canada and it has been great for me. That being said, I still object to the program strictly on the basis I believe it is dishonest at the core.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed May 3 08:56:35 2017

Marie, that is exactly what I did see. Did you not see "By Company-Issued Press Release" below the title?

That story either is the press release or it mirrors the press release almost identically.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 3 09:11:30 2017

SO much misinformation.  Pitney Bowes does NOT open and inspect (much less REPACKAGE) every item.  YEs, they WILL under certain circumstances if they feel they have to.  Like if you've sold something that might not be eligible for overseas shipping.  OR if you didn't enter the weight/dimensions of your package correctly when listing it. Etc.

I've shipped overseas through GSP ever since the program STARTED and I've NEVER experienced these "problems".  But I HAVE enjoyed the protections they give their sellers.

If you're a good seller who knows how to actually package properly, knows how to properly list an item (with correct dimensions and weights) and bothers to list it correctly (some items are prohibited from overseas shipping) you shouldn't experience any of the "problems" listed here AND therefore shouldn't see any unnecessary delays.

Oh, and the combined shipping and duties (where applicable) that my customers are charged is many times CHEAPER than what I could ship (priority) for myself.

In other words, don't always believe everything you "read".  Like I said, LOTS of misinformation out there when it comes to GSP.  A LOT of sellers like myself LOVE the program and REALLY love the protection they provide to USA sellers shipping overseas.

by: Valaset This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 3 09:53:21 2017

I have used the GSP for over a year and have had no issues.  I like the simplicity.  I don't need to worry about what is legal to ship where.  I don't have to fill out additional paperwork or figure out fees and tariffs.  Just ship it to Kentucky and EBAY/Pitney Bowes takes care of it...

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 3 11:44:01 2017

From a seller perspective, GSP can indeed be benificial in terms of convenience and protection, and sometimes even cost 'savings' to a seller as has been noted.  And of course, one's milage may vary with the program on any individual, anecdotal basis, regardless.  Much as is true with anything where opinion crashes into experience.

However, considering the excess costs charged to the buyer via GSP compared to direct peer to peer billing, any seller (and this includes eBay since they 'claim' the sale despite rejecting full responsibility for it) who is REALLY concerned with what is 'best', but nevertheless dismisses this aspect, can't be said to have more than their own interests in mind.

Which is fine as far as that goes, up to the point one deems the program benificial to the buyer, as eBay does.

And THAT is where the root rots for this particular monitized fulfillment machination.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 3 13:19:19 2017

@Rexford

I'm unsure of your point.  Are you suggesting that because it was a Press Release it should not of appeared on this site or there is some other problem or concern?

If so I have no answer for you.  Your original question was ''I was very disappointed that ecommercebytes didn't follow up (perhaps I missed it) with an article that mentions that  Pitney Bowes is eBay's GSP partner and shining a light on the bias.''  Why would a followup article be necessary?  I only ask because I don't understand your point, not because I disagree.  I just don't understand why it is important.

While not really prominent, they did say in the article & Press Release that they were partners.  I agree it could have been better said.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed May 3 14:04:45 2017

Marie says "I'm unsure of your point".

Yes, it is clear to me that you missed my point Marie.