Thu Apr 6 2017 10:48:37

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

By: Reader

Two letters arrived from sellers reporting a recent slowdown in sales - do you have any advice for your colleagues?

Do any readers have any thoughts on why my eBay sales have been in the tank since about the middle of March just about the time these Promoted Listings rolled out? Up to that time I had been doing very well and thought it was going to be a good month.

I've now had 3 sales since the 15th. I've been listing every day and even set up a couple of promoted listings at my friend's insistence.

Something is going on and I'm becoming very suspicious as to what is up.
Thanks.
Diana

***

eBay sellers are panicking due to huge drop in sales, and are offering to sell their business on Down Detector. Can't make this stuff up.

Something is going on. If you know Down Detector, not many people complain.

After 20 years (I was there since the beginning), I am going to get job and use eBay as supplemental income. Sad, but it's time to go, no fix in sight or eBay admitting there is a problem.
F.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 12:18:11 2017

Sales have been steady and up from last year due to a number of reasons- listing more items and taking lower offers on stuff to move it out.  I cannot complain.  It's nothing like a few years ago but it's steady.  Just stay the course is my advice.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 13:14:51 2017

If your using Ebay to support a family or buy food your best bet is to move on to a better site.

If your into just spare change or a hobby than Ebay would fit the bill.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 13:21:34 2017

There's always someone who miraculously is having great sales, etc.  Prove it.
I can show reams and reams of data, graphs, stats, trends, patterns, etc. that prove and validate the exact opposite.  The monthly surges and suppressions (if somehow you have ''made too much'' in a month - the next month, you are punished).  This stuff...you CANNOT make up.  I have no doubt, other sellers can provide the same info related to their product lines and we would see similar trends...so, this is not an anomaly related to a particular product line...but rather, ebay's manipulation of the game.  The game is rigged as they say....

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Apr 6 14:15:30 2017

As our Anonymous Annie used to say, prepare an exit strategy, including setting up your own web site (like she did).

Diversification is the key if you want to maintain a successful online business. List on as many different marketplaces as you feel comfortable with. I strongly support eCrater since they are truly just a venue and don't micromanage every aspect of a seller's business. And they don't slap a fee on listings or shipping.

Depending on eBay to continue to provide great sales is delusional. As we've all seen over the last few years, eBay continues to raise fees; punishes sellers with burdensome policies, throttled sales, and buyer-centric protection; and constant and never-ending glitches which they are unable or unwilling to correct.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Apr 7 00:51:17 2017

@Scotty

"There's always someone who miraculously is having great sales, etc. Prove it."

How many do you want?

5, 10, 15 or 20?

I have a whole list of sellers who sell plenty every week of the year.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Apr 7 11:22:04 2017

I would just say that Amazon is every bit the accomplice to thievery that eBay is.  Your best bet is to harvest e-mails from the reports and drive traffic to a website that can't steal from you, whether it's your own or some less vertical outfit like eCrater.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 7 13:00:04 2017

looks like tool boy got his pom poms back

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 7 15:20:32 2017

@Tool

Ok...give me 10.  Make sure to back it up with stats as I describe....3+ years of sales graphs, volume, etc.  I guarantee there are the trends described.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Apr 7 19:42:35 2017

@RL15 - Whenever Toolguy eats his special brownies he praises eBay as his wonderful selling partner and all of us complainers are nuts. When he comes back down to earth he complains, too.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 8 13:48:52 2017

@iheartjacksparrow

he sure eats a lot of those special brownies

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: JoeysZoo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 9 00:51:13 2017

I finally closed my ebay store today.  Pitiful sales.  I know it's not my prices or products, I have a few listings on other sites and they are selling well. Dumb to stick with ebay when they keep raising fees with nothing in return.  Moving my inventory to greener pastures.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 00:34:55 2017

ADVICE:
1. RAISE minimum wage so people have MONEY to SPEND and don't have to COMPETE w/ YOU by SELLING -their stuff- to RAISE CASH.
2. Get LEADERSHIP in WASHINGTON that doesn't SCARE people & cause the STOCK MARKET to fluctuate wildly so CONFIDENCE returns.
3. RAISE TAXES on the RICH if they DON'T SPEND and LOWER TAXES on middle class who DO spend.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 00:37:41 2017

I closed my feebay store for just this reason.  Constantly changing rules & benefits.  Out of 300 items in my store, 247 itemss less than 10 views.  Sales suck.  So, we promote our own site where we run our business, not a 3rd party.  We are also now selling directly off our 19,000 like Facebook page using Shopify.  More sales off of Facebook in 1 week than the entire last month on eBay.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: Aahz This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 00:39:36 2017

9 pieces of proof that sales are up for some of us, because it's easier to make a single composite image of 9 than 10.

Each graph has two datapoints (30 days ago and year ago).  Of the 18 data points here, only 3 are down and in each of those cases the sales for the account as a whole are up, it's only the eBay selected categories that are down.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: Aahz This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 00:40:35 2017

So where's your proof Scotty?

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 00:41:36 2017

It really depends on what you sell. If you are constantly listing and you still are not selling anything then its either your prices or what you are selling. Adapt to survive. If coffee mugs are not selling like they did 2 years ago then take a hint and stop selling coffee mugs. Don't just come online complaining about how your sales are down. Some markets dry up or there might be too many sellers racing to the bottom in your category. How is your competition doing? That's a good way to really see how your niche is doing.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: trader_chris This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 00:58:43 2017

If your sales are dropping, you need to change your inventory, sales method, or both. I have consistently sold about $250K / year on eBay  over the last few years, but I sell a variety of hard-to-find / high demand items. Pre-sale research is essential to my success. E-mail me for help.

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: EvilCorpBay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 00:59:04 2017

The doubters will Only shut up when it happens to them....And it will happen. Throttling is Real. I was a doubter once myself...now I am a believer. Promoted listings is the nail in the coffin. Cassini, Promoted Listings, DSR, Returns, Policies, Etc, Etc. Yup it was all part of the the master plan to rid Evilcorp of the mom and pops who pay their bills selling on ebay. Must be easier to support and deal with a thousand big sellers like Best Buy, Fila, Crocks, Oh and the Chinese sellers, Etc. Than to steal..I mean collect $300 - $3000 a month from the millions of us mom and pops. Haters going to hate, doubters going to doubt...But this former non believer will keep my Tin Foil Hat as I have seen first hand whats in store for us mom and pops!

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 01:04:45 2017

Lets see...
number of orders each month on ebay and Amazon

month az ebay
11/1/2016 179 58
12/1/2016 199 55
1/1/2017 198 74
2/1/2017 171 68
3/1/2017 161 82

Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?   Any Advice for These eBay Sellers?

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 01:07:59 2017

How about ebay sales for the last 7 months. What is throttling? How do I figure out what my monthly cap is?

$6,545