Mon Apr 3 2017 10:58:11

Pitfalls of Paying to List in a Second eBay Category

By: Reader

Most of my items for sale on eBay are vintage jewelry and in particular vintage patriotic WWII jewelry. Because of this I usually list an item in both the vintage jewelry and collectibles/militaria categories. I receive 50 free listings a month. If I list a WWII Sweetheart Pin in both categories, the first category is free (comes out of the free 50) and I pay 30 cents for the second category.

The first thing that irks me about this is that I have to pay for the second category instead of eBay just deducting 2 out of my 50 free listings.

To add insult to injury, I only get additional exposure through "more like this" "people who looked at this also looked at" and "see what other people are watching" for the first category. So I am paying the full fee for the second category but reaping none of the extra exposure of what would appear at the bottom of the page.

Last week I had an unusual collectible/jewelry item listed. It got the exposure of the "more like this", "see what other people are watching" "people who looked at this..." in the collectible category since that was the first category that I chose. There were only 3 or 4 other items that would have fallen into this category in jewelry, but since I chose and paid for jewelry as my second category, my item did not reap the benefit of any of the aforementioned bottom of the page click throughs because eBay doesn't/doesn't have the ability to/hasn't thought of a way to, give the same benefits to the second category listing as the first.

As a matter of fact, for this unusual item, there were only 3 other similar items listed at the bottom of the page info with plenty of room for more (meaning my item that I paid to list), but my item simply did not show up there because it was my second category.

With all of the changes that eBay is making, one would think that they could find a way to give the same benefits and exposure to the first category as the second. And if not, don't charge me the entire listing fee for a second category that will not receive full listing benefits.

Yes, I know that many of your readers will think my "problem" laughable in the scheme of things, but my tiny business and what I pay for to list and the exposure that I receive for that is as important to me as any large business seller.

This, of course, is just one of the many issue I have with eBay and all of the non-working/not up to snuff features on their site. There are many others that I still send "tell us what you think" comments to, but these are for broken links and non-functioning features that I have "telling" eBay to work out for going on over two years now.

Do you think that eBay would be able to deduct second category listings from the number of free listings, and do you think that eBay is able to give same exposure to second category listings as they do to first category listings?

Thank you for being my only reliable source for what is going on with eBay.
Sincerely,
Very Good Vintage

Pitfalls of Paying to List in a Second eBay Catego   Pitfalls of Paying to List in a Second eBay Catego

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Apr 3 12:58:05 2017

I have a rare military item that I listed in two categories, and it is not showing up in search. Thought it would increase traffic, but with eBay's "artificial intelligence" system, potential buyers are directed to an unrelated category, and will not find my listing.

So everyone loses here. People who are seeking this basically OOAK auction item cannot find it, and I (and eBay) will not make as much money from the sale. Frustrating.

Perhaps the Steiners can have another "Marketplace Search Game" on eCommerce Bytes since AI was brought on board, and post the results. Doubt there has been any improvement in search since then, in fact the opposite may be true.

This just in: The Three Card Monty or Shell Game methods they now employ to search for items is NOT EFFECTIVE. A grass-roots organic system (before Cassini) needs to be put back into place.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 3 18:50:39 2017

and the fleabay downward spiral continues...

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 3 21:08:06 2017

Ummmm.  Not sure you are on the right track here whatsoever. To the LIMITED DEGREE that eBay search can even be SAID to "WORK" .... it only Only ONLY looks at the 80 characters you WEDGE into your Subject line. If any one wants to FIND / BUY a WW2 Sweetheart Pin I'm of the opinion that FEW if not NONE of them would even THINK to TRY to limit their SEARCH to any given category.  Just pick the one that BEST FITS your item and don't waste your EFFORT, TIME or $$ on any second category.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 3 23:05:50 2017

Look at it this way.  One can't put one item on two different shelves simultaneously.  It may work for commoddities, but OOAK items need a focus.  Save your limited funds.  Don't contribute to eBay's ability to boast X 'volume' effectively falsely inflated by this scheme.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Apr 4 10:14:01 2017

Ah the 2 category dilemma. . .Been there doing that!

There are a few factors in deciding if this is best for you or not.

The 1st category is the one you'll pay FVF fees on.

I usually choose eBay Motors Automotive Tools & Supplies because it's only 8%

I choose Business & Industrial as my 2nd choice because they charge 9% FVF on that category but it also has better exposure in search (per eBay's search team).

A 2nd category costs me .20 cents. I save 1% by using eBay motors, so on a $100 item I save $1 for the .20 cents spent on a 2nd category.

Remember when picking 2 categories to put the cheaper one on top as the main category.

I use 2 categories on over 50% of the items I list. It saves me money in the long run. . .

by: imbloated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 00:37:44 2017

toolguy: brilliant!

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 00:49:44 2017

The search looks at more than the title.  It includes item specifics.  I find items searching by UPC or model number and find them even though they aren't in the title.

I think search is the thing though.  How many buyers browse vs. search?  I rarely browse a category as a buyer, and catching browsers is the only advantage I see of a second category.

Within my store I have items in more than one category, but there I get people browsing because they are now combining shipping, so there's a reason to look at all my listings.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 08:56:55 2017

I figured out that didn't work for me years ago. Do not waste your money. (My category's are all the same price) If you cannot decide on a category, just slightly change the title and list 2 so you get both free, if you have 2 great, if not, look at your views and see if one is performing better than the other, then pick one for next month if it has not sold and free up your 50 free listings for another item.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 10:36:26 2017

I stopped using category search myself many years ago. I have just used key word search and I think most others do same.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 6 16:44:35 2017

I tend to wait until I have several items on which it's hard to decide which of two categories to use.

I will list all of them in one category - some in one, some in the second . Hopefully interested bidders will look at ''seller's other items'' and I make it in your face obviously clear to check my other items, for more similar listings.

Good luck !