Fri Mar 31 2017 08:22:53

Beware Spoof Messages Targeting Amazon Sellers

By: Reader

Just a heads up: I've received two emails in two days spoofing Amazon Services claiming a payment due on my account. (I'm not an Amazon seller so can't vouch for how realistic the messages look.) The messages have an attachment with a trojan payload.

What's interesting is the emails are sent to an address I use exclusively for buying on Amazon. So either Amazon's email database was hacked or (more likely) the source was one of Amazon's third party sellers.

Your readers who are Amazon sellers should be on guard.

Thanks as always for providing excellent, timely, and reliable information to the online seller community!
D.

Beware Spoof Messages Targeting Amazon Sellers   Beware Spoof Messages Targeting Amazon Sellers

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Fri Mar 31 10:59:43 2017

I have seen a great increase in scam / phishing e-mails lately, thankfully none from Amazon.

One I received yesterday was titled ''You Get A Parking Ticket''. Another had an invoice from an established computer parts company for around $1000.

Both had click-on attachment links to obtain more information (of course, I did not go to them). And they weren't worded correctly.

MEMO TO THIRD WORLD WANNABE SCAM ARTISTS: If you are attempting to steal from us so-called ''Rich Americans'', at least use proper English and punctuation!!

What a bunch of scumbags........

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 31 13:31:57 2017

Amazon third party sellers have not had access to buyers emails since October 2008.  Maybe your email provider was compromised.  You said you are not an Amazon seller, so they are just guessing.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Mar 31 14:12:01 2017

@eXtinctBay - I got those same two e-mails over the last two days! If you look, the e-mail sent from address is marked ".ru" so Putin is trying to get our money! Not only was the English a mess, but as to the parking ticket, I don't drive and I don't own a car so it would be rather hard for me to get a ticket.

I was contemplating responding with a few choice "bleep" words, but decided not to waste my time since being called out as a scammer is not going to make them stop.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Mar 31 14:32:36 2017

Me too.  I've had three or four emails stating that I have a parking ticket.  It is from: noreply [kuvv@selfindulgence.org] and the title is always: Parking ticket #7315782.

In the body it says:
You got a parking ticket!

28-205 - Parking of motor vehicles or otherwise obstructing fire lanes shall be prohibited at all times

Required to appear in court

Parking ticket number: PDN7310832

Parking ticket

To pay your parking ticket, download your ticket and choose one of 2 convenient ways:

1. Online
Pay online by Visa or Mastercard, $2 processing fee.

2. By phone (automated system)
Pay by Visa or Mastercard at (866)561-9742

With respect,
Traffic Police Department.

The emails I've received do not have attachments, but it does have a link inside the email.  I just delete the emails and put them on my blocked list.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Mar 31 15:53:31 2017

Since I posted my last comment I have received one more e-mail from both the computer place and the "Traffic Police." Now the traffic ticket notice is coming from ".nl" in the Netherlands. The funny thing is, the number 866-561-9742 is the actual phone number to pay online for tickets in Los Angeles County. I'm assuming they expect you to click on the link before you check the location of the phone number.

So, yesterday from Russia, today from the Netherlands. I guess this scam is traveling the world.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 1 16:20:58 2017

Folks, the sad thing is that these foreign criminals that are doing most of this are IN OUR COUNTRY!

Most of this is being done by illegal aliens that came here with travel and education visas and never left... And they are not from Mexico! They are from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, South American countries, India, and many other places.. They say that there are 11 million illegals here, but I'd bet its more like 30-40 million..

Its the #1 occupation that they have in America, to SCAM Americans.. All the identity theft, skimmers at ATMs and gas stations, email scams, all the phony phone scams, the ebay/Amazon scams, and this stuff.

Its not people overseas doing it, there are RIGHT HERE IN AMERICA, and we need to get them the HELL OUT! Support your President on this as otherwise we are doomed.. AMERICA FIRST!

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 2 10:17:43 2017

@ Frank - they don't have to play with emails, all they have to do is arrive and start collecting health care, welfare, food stamps, SSI, Medicaid.....

I have absolutely no problem and WELCOME people from other countries who come in LEGALLY and intend to be good citizens and productive in their new country. I think most of us have ancestors who arrived that way, usually with NOTHING and there were no government handouts welcoming them.

What I do not understand is, what part of ''ILLEGAL'' do people not understand. Illegals are circumventing the system. They are a horrific insult to anyone doing their best to come in legally.

But then, even US citizens may be bilking ''the system'' - I heard not long ago that government benefits (if you do it right) total around $90,000 yearly - so why work??

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 2 10:23:17 2017

RE: spoof/phishing messages - I think increasing numbers of scammers are trying to find gullible victims for the picking; or else maybe more and more of them are getting more desperate to make money without having to expend any efforts to work for it?

Indeed maybe they are getting into new sources of email addresses ?

I am suddenly getting more of these messages too, mostly through business connections.

I have learned to always RIGHT CLICK and read the PROPERTIES - usually the message source is a good spot to find where it actually come from.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 2 10:29:14 2017

@ iheartjacksparrow - I cannot stop laughing !!!!!!!!!!

BEWARE - if you start corresponding with a .ru email address you may discover you're being ''SURVEILLED'' ..... by our government???!!! I wonder if they can sort out the phishing scams from the real things....

If you send a ''REPLY'' to one of these things, are you engaging in a ''conversation'' and may have to answer to Congress........ ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

by: simerivergun This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 3 08:18:15 2017

Hello, Ina.  Can you please run an article on POST OFFICE not scanning packages thus causing TRS plus loosing their standard. Here is more:
Hello, Ina.  Thanks for article.  USPS is not scanning packages left in the receiving box at Post Office in Jupiter, Fl. Staff does not want to scan them when we stand in line. Some items are scanned up to 5 days after deposit.  I will soon loose my TRS Plus rating because of USPS incompetence.  I contacted Washington Post Office complaint department and got no help. I also talked to PO manager and she said "we do NOT have to scan the packages if we don't want to".  I am frustrated and I still stand in line for an hour or more for hand to hand scan. Can you get us some help for this problem?
Thanks Sue

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 3 09:51:51 2017

I got an email from Amazon the other day which seemed completely legitimate including our first and last names. Supposedly a Survey. Asked Amazon about it and they said it was spoof even though they had an example of that same email on their site. This is getting frustrating to say the least.

I got up today and just cleared out something like 10 emails all with the topic that included something about Goosebumps - like I care about that.

I'm sick of scammers and phishers and all the rest of them!

@Jack - right around the time my son who lived in PA and the closest he ever got to the Pacific Ocean was Yellowstone Park when he was 6 months old got a parking ticket from a Los Angeles college campus for parking there illegally! It took a long time on the phone with someone to convince them that he had never been there, didn't have that type of car to drive, etc. Since the nonsense had arrived via snail mail, it wasn't something to completely ignore.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 3 14:01:56 2017

@Moonwishes - how helpful of Amazon to post a ''sample'' for scammers to copy?

But it sounds like a lot more involved if they got your names from somewhere... clearly a good hack job into some Amazon file, to get actual seller names. I hope you are using an email address that is totally separate from any other of your accounts. At least that's a start to prevent Amazon related hacking from infecting any of your other dealings.

I don't know, I will occasionally buy something but will never SELL on Amazon, after what they did to a good friend trying to sell books.

And re: the ticket, that used to happen a lot. Usually the reason was the meter maid wrote a numeral(s) that was misread by whoever recorded the ticket in the office. With them having electronic hand units to input plate information now, that shouldn't be happening, but it certainly did back then. My father dealt with it in the 1960s. Worst, it was ''guilty UNLESS proven innocent.''

by: Twiganne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 3 19:56:02 2017

I suppose when it all done and over they will unmask all the names of the gullible.  The press wants a piece of Trump's red meat but what about a side dish of RICE lol.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 4 13:19:22 2017

This all started some two or three decades ago, when everyone in America received a fancy large envelope in the mail from a magazine company.  It stated that ''You are one of the top FIVE finalist picked to win ''MILLIONS AND MILLIONS''!''.

Then that scam from Nigeria came along received either faxed or by mail.  ''My uncle is the Nigerian finance minister and needs to transfer millions of dollars to an America bank account.  May he use your bank account?  Of course you will be paid thousands of dollars in fees.''

These days, I must have fallen on hard times, as the only spurious offers I receive in my spam folder are offers of free 50 buck gift cards from Amazon or Walmart.

But you have to love these class-action lawsuit offers from law firms.  ''Fill out this form to receive your share of the lawsuit.''  From the time when Paypal was burned in a class-action lawsuit for $50 million to now, I have never heard of anyone receiving a dime after the lawyers took out their ''small'' share.