Sat Mar 25 2017 16:30:35

The Consequences of Rising eBay Cancellations

By: Reader

As this is starting to happen to me more often, I thought I'd run it by you and the posters here - concerning a situation that (again) makes me say "what is eBay thinking?!"

As you know I sell electronics. Most of my sales come from "watchers". They see a product, put it on their watch list, then buy it when they get paid (every week, every 2 weeks, birthday money etc).

That system works out well for me ... except when a person buys that watched item, and then does a cancellation 5 minutes later.

eBay (johnny on the spot to make sure the buyer gets his funds back) says and does nothing (ie the buyer doesn't get into any trouble for that game), and as a seller - I lose all around. Yes I get back the FVF, but I lose the potential REAL buyer/sale since the item (and its item number) are no longer valid (since the item was "sold").

The average number of watchers I have on an item is about 10, but most of my items have at least 3 or 4 watchers. So, when a buyer buys, pays, then cancels, I lose the other 9 people and the potential sale. The item loses its ranking, and the other 9 DONT get notified (how could they?) that the item is available once again for sale (since it's not "sold"). Since this happens to me more and more often - I was curious if this was happening to others as well.

If it was once in a blue moon - then ok fine - but now it happens to me 2-3x a week!

"Don't keep the buyer waiting - see the cancel details and reply to the buyer by Mar 20, 2017."

Don't keep him waiting? How about punishing him/her for making it harder for me to make that sale!

Best regards,
Pace306

The Consequences of Rising eBay Cancellations   The Consequences of Rising eBay Cancellations

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Mar 25 22:42:39 2017

I've had 2 of these so far this year.

Item bought, paid for, then canceled.

It's a hassle but I caulk it up to doing business on eBay. . .

Let's hope that the 2 are the only ones I have this year!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Mar 26 02:45:48 2017

I agree, I think this is a real problem for some sellers.  I too feel Ebay should pay attention to the numbers and nick buyers if they do this on a regular basis.

Now the only thing I know of that can help you in the current situation, is this is the about the only time that doing a RELIST is better than a Sell Similar.  If you click on the RELIST button on the listing that sold, it will notify those buyers that were signed up to watch the original listing that it has been reposted.  Well if they have their account set up to get such emails.  But I think many if not most do.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 26 09:32:47 2017

In eBay's limited eCommerce 'mind-set', a cancelled sale that effectively eliminates legitimate potential other buyers as described is not an issue, because they assume there are dozens of others 'on the shelf', much like is true in most 'retail' stores.

Back when selling here was a matter to boast, buyers were held accountable for non-payments via (albeit invisible) 'strikes'.  That tended to help reduce the number of fizzled sales to less than a percent - at least in my case.  Which was important because, like the OP, our items were OOAK.  'Lost watchers' were indeed an issue.

However, when eBay became blinded by their desperate attempts to become competitive in volume retailing and insttuted their no-accountability 'cancellations', our UPI RATE shot up to an unsustainable 1 in 10.

Which also was 'no problem' for eBay because even though fees were 'refunded', those weren't yet 'booked income' to eBay.  Moreover, such 'cancellations' need not be accounted by them as any kind f 'loss' since they have no investment in the transaction itself.

However, they can still 'show' the 'sale' as a success to those searching for item sale history, and to shareholders when they boast GMV 'growth' and conversion rates.

Thus - no 'consequences' for eBay.  No 'consequences' for the buyer (they are desperate to 'please').

As for consequence to the poor sellers...no concern to eBay.  In fact, it seems their 'retailer' model doesn't support any allowance for believing thare actually ARE such consequences as the OP describes.

And any that 'may' be, are buried in ''noise''.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 26 10:59:54 2017

after a buyer pays for a item fleabay likes to send the buyer a email showing the exact product purchased for a lower price.

pay pig still keeps their .30 cents

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Mar 26 19:42:04 2017

@RL15

I have NEVER received such an email from ebay on any of my 3 accounts!

by: The Not So New Guy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 00:25:00 2017

If an item is on my watch list and it sells I usually get an email that says "it got away" or an "update to my watch list" or something. If I click it I can many times see "seller relisted another" or something like that. I'm not sure that helps you but it's what I've seen.

And I know many will jump all over me on this, but when I get these almost 90% of the time I will ship the item. 75% of the time the sale sticks. Yes, I've been screwed and had to pay return shipping for some unscrupulous buyers but most times the sales stick. Just my 2 cents, do with it what you will.

by: Bebe This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 00:38:30 2017

I have been on Ebay for 18 years with about 200K a year in sales.  I used to get one or two canceled sales per year.  I have had 3 just in the last week. Followed by an email from Ebay to "not keep my buyers waiting." If I canceled three sales in one week I would suffer severe consequences. What is going on?

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 00:56:11 2017

Set your OOAK item to ''Good to Canceled'' and use the ''Out of stock'' option.  If the buyer cancels, and has been refunded, (or never paid), revise your quantity from 0 to 1, and all your watchers remain on board.

This user has validated their user name. by: RavenNightMyst

Mon Mar 27 01:32:33 2017

Just relist from the sold item. Anyone who's watching will see that you relisted the item, click through and watch or buy the relisted item.

Another responder mentioned the eBay email stating that an item ''got away''. Many times it will also say, ''but there's more'', or ''good news, the seller has another''. It is irritating to play their games, but anyone who really ''is'' watching will find it again, if they really are interested.

The games on eBay were more than I wanted to deal with, so I quit selling there three years ago. I still know how the game is played, however. It's just not my problem, anymore.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Mar 27 02:23:44 2017

Very interesting post and useful info, pace306.

by: HardWorkingSeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 08:16:40 2017

If this is a frequent occurrence (say more than 1-2% of transactions) then I would question why it is happening to you so much more than other people.  Eg. do you have uncompetitive shipping costs or handling times that the buyer doesn't notice until they see the final transaction terms?  In any case just RELIST the item per the advice above and be thankful that your listing now has a good sell-through history associated so you will get a boost in best match as a result.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 08:46:38 2017

Im the OP on this and it happens to me 2-3x per week.

eBay RUSHES to give the buyers back their money - even though its a legal sale/contract ... with the "dont keep them waiting" BS line!  How disgusting.

SO EBAY - WHY DO THIS??????

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 09:29:59 2017

I get many cancellations each week. It is disgusting. Paypal makes 30 cents. That adds up. I have had people cancel with a followup comment that they wanted a further discount which they may or may not be able to get. I have also had those that change their mind back again and either request me to undo the cancel or relist an item that they just bought out which was on sale. now of course, those are not that much of a problem as you have all the info to send an invoice should they agree.

Ebay is at fault for this.  Continuing after the person buys, they bombard them with the same items (even used when looking for new), which may be less expensive but either way creates an idea for them that they paid too much and they need to either buy what ebay emailed them or shop around more.

I do not believe that within 30 min of purchasing an item a buyers event was cancelled, found out their spouse bought it already, or found out they were suddenly too poor to afford it.

One day last month I had more cancellations than items I shipped. @toolguy you won't have cancellations if you do not have competitors.

I do not cancel best offers, paid for or not. I do not cancel items already marked shipped. And if they buy and then request cancel while we are busy shipping during the day, many get cancelled by ebay as already shipped.

There are way too many that miss the 30 min and want to cancel by message as well. It is way out of hand and ebay should record the abusers of the privilege.

by: E. Tomchin This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 09:52:30 2017

eBay has gotten as arrogant and abusive toward it's sellers as Microsoft has become with regard it's users.  For instance, Windows 10 is the biggest ripoff I've ever seen.  It takes control of the OS out of the hands of the user and then profits further by mining user data and selling it.  eBay is likely doing the same thing.  Between the two of them, they are making their biggest fortunes selling user data to anyone and everyone who can afford it  .  The last Microsoft product I liked was DOS and the last time I liked eBay was back in the late 1990s when sellers and buyers had a level playing field.

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 11:33:15 2017

E. Tomchin, I am with you on that Windows 10 thing. I keep having my Windows 7 OS coming up as not a genuine build after an update, when indeed, the laptop came with it installed. It is due to some random update. When I did some uninstall recently, I must have unchecked "never update" because suddenly the thing was updating and the error 7601 was back with a vengeance. I feel like they do this to force you into 10, but I digress.

I had all kinds of problems with Etsy buyers pulling this stunt on me. They'd buy an item and suddenly cancel a few hours later. Now it is happening more frequently with ebay too. You give someone an inch and they'll take a mile. Ebay already gives buyers the mile, so they want to take it all the way to the finish line and get freebies while they are at it.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 14:42:18 2017

Pace I consider this matter cost of doing business however I do not get that many cancellations. If I was you I would consider increasing my handling or item price a bit to compensate for the trouble, time lost.

Unless it was very, very clear I would not penalize the buyer.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 16:49:19 2017

Donald - thatgs NOT "the cost of doing business" ... its simply how eBay operates.

If a sale is a contract, then why be in such a rush to refund?

eBay just "volunteered" to pay $5 for late shipments - why is this any different?

The LESS that eBay involves itself with things it knows nothing about - the better!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 27 17:17:24 2017

"Worse, it re-positions the item when it has to be relisted, the buyer doesnt get punished, the other watchers go off to buy someone elses item or goes somewhere else... "  You may want to contact Ebay on this.  If you use the Relist function [not sell similar] to repost your item, you should not be losing your placement in the searches.

"If a sale is a contract, then why be in such a rush to refund? And if they are in such a rush, wheres the compinsation for the seller who would loose a sale  "for no reason"."  What rush?  If you agreed to the cancellation, what do you mean by rush to refund the customer?  This would be no different if you bought something at a store.  Got to your car and decided you made a mistake and walked back in the store to return it.

I'm not trying to minimize the problem you are having because it certainly seems as you get more of these than possibly the average seller gets.  It must be infuriating.  I know if I had that many most weeks I'd be upset by it as well.  But I really don't know what you can do about it other that using the relist function to relist them so that you maintain your search status and your buyers get a notification that you relisted.

by: TrickyMick This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 19:10:41 2017

I get 2-5 a week, If you use the relist... your item gets lower buyer exposure... I think eBay's bots consider it a duplicate list.  I take new pictures, change the price a little, and make a new listing... otherwise.. it will sit there for sale for eternity.  It is anoying, I've even relisted and had the same people buy again and cancel Again.... then I put the buyer on the block list.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 27 20:40:57 2017

Pace another thing you could do is to list an extra item. In other words list two when you have one, list three when you have two and so on. That way the listing continues when you sell. I do that a lot.

With eBay we have no choice but to find ways to go around their incompetence and stupidity.