Tue Mar 21 2017 20:11:35

eBay Poaches on Seller's Store with Ads for Rivals

By: Reader

I found out something VERY disturbing about eBay this past weekend while working hard on my eBay Store page. I looked at my listings from a buyer perspective (not being logged in) so I could see what my listings look like from a customer perspective.

I found that on almost EVERY one of my listings (hundreds), eBay was promoting other sellers' listings directly under my pictures even before you get to my item description, etc.!!!!!!

That's what I would call poaching on my listing, and there were several more rows of more "suggestions" further down my page!!!!!

I called eBay about this VERY disturbing find, and as I expected I got the runaround that this is the way eBay does their website.

I'm just sick about the fee increases and rules they change every year making it harder to make a buck. I figured I will be losing around $40/month with just the losing of 10% of my discount. It seems the rich just get richer, and we have to just deal with it.

I wonder how many other people are aware of this. I've been eBaying since 1999, and this is how I make my living!!!
B.

eBay Poaches on Seller's Store with Ads for Rivals   eBay Poaches on Seller's Store with Ads for Rivals

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Mar 21 21:45:17 2017

OP... the way eBay conducts business, their corporate mentality is that they, NOT YOU are the only ones entitled to make their living off your hard work. In the end, it's not about you making your living selling on eBay, it's about eBay's ability to inflate their bottom line.

Soon, when you call to complain about other sellers items displayed on your listing pages, you will be told that the sellers are participating in eBay's promoted listing program and that to level the field, you need to pay them and promote your listings too.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 22 07:11:05 2017

Its no different than going to the grocery store. Go into the soap aisle....The brand that pays the most gets the line of sight shelf. The rest get either the top or bottom.

Ebay can do what they want with the page as it is their playing field and we only pay to squat their.

As long as the buy button is still there I don't care what they put on the page.

99 per cent of the viewers don't go any further on the page than the title and the buy button anyway. Just like in the grocery store, customers are to lazy or don't care enough to look up or down.

by: TrickyMick This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 22 07:23:50 2017

It's been going on for a while now, sometimes it worse than other times for me.  Also eBay loves to hide your listing if it's priced super low... they rather someone sells the same item at higher price (as long as it's lower than amazon)... they get more commision.  There AI is just cover for more control more money.

Also at the end of every month I get a huge surge in sales on items that are for pick-up only. From buyers across country.  For last 7-8 months.  I think because the delay of getting FVF back... they are buying more time for their job... at eBay.

by: thriftyattireandstuff This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 23 00:17:47 2017

This is absolutely true. Even worse it will put ads from NON-eBAY sites up there.

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 23 00:24:15 2017

Personally we plan to close our ebay store the end of this month.  Constantly increasing fees, lack of sales and lack of views.  This past 2 months my sales minus ebay store fees, final value fees and paypal fees I have lost money.  It don't even take into account the cost of the merchandise I am selling.  Checking today, I have 59 auctions, 226 fixed price listings. Out of those 285 active listings, 12 have 15 or more views.  No longer worth it.  We will start promoting our own site & brand instead of the failed ebay brand.

by: elcheapoposters This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 23 01:22:02 2017

OP: did you just fall off a turnip truck?

by: Vangoe This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 23 08:56:43 2017

Hello all,

There are plenty of good and upcoming websites that compete directly with eBay. You all complain about eBay, but do nothing and keep paying them. Better sites are out there. Do some research and realize that their traffic depends on you using them. Do not expect 100 sales the first week you post some items. Most do not charge you a penny unless you actually sell your items. (or you can just keep paying eBay and complaining).

by: ySirTinLee This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 23 10:13:09 2017

Confucius say listen to George Bernard Shaw who said: ''I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it.''

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 23 10:18:55 2017

We are almost at the point of bailing from eBay. Stuff is just sitting stewing with almost no views while our alternative venue (fairly stiff monthly fees, but no FVF and good targeted advertising with NO eye candy competititors' listings stuck all over our pages) is going gangbusters.

Sales in the first 6 weeks of this year on the alternative site got us to the break even point for fees for all of 2017.  So from now on, our sales are pretty much gravy.

I certainly wouldn't do an auction on eBay any more.  Far too risky.  I buy there a lot though -- great prices!

by: elcheapoposters This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 23 14:47:54 2017

My apologies... I did not intend to berate the OP.

The point is, Ebay's been doing this for well over 10 years. I see my own ads on seller's auctions all the time.

I always thought it was kinda tacky for ebay to do this, but everyone put up with it by continuing to list.

In a better world, there should be a tick box that says: ''Listings are FREE if you allow ads - otherwise you pay.''

... but it's not a perfect world.

On the upside, I've made loads of sales piggybacking off of other's ebay listings not only from ebay but amazon also.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 23 21:17:25 2017

Paying for shelf space visibility - an apt analogy....up to a point.

What if you paid for that shelf...albeit on the bottom way down at the end...and the store still insisted on obscuring what minimal 'real estate' you 'rented' by placng a big sign in front of YOUR items pointng to the one's already holding prominance, or alternately, to your neighbors?

Would you sit still for that?

How about if the checkout clerk, as you waited to pay, holding up your potential payment while declaring there is THIS OTHER particular alternative available on another shelf...perhaps you missed it...have you compard prices (even as the proffered product may be a different size, color, quality...just as likely from a whole different aisle)?

Would you appreciate the unsolicited 'suggestion' shoved in your face even as it's occurrance is delaying you getting home to keep your ice cream from melting?

And, as the seller of that item being obnoxiously compared, would you want that customer so bombarded every time a customer chose yours in the first place?

What's that you say?  Grocery stores wouldn't do that?  Of course not.  For good reason - it turns off customers. AND vendors.

So...if I PAY for shelf space, I'd expect get it.  Without the store interfering with that space.  They want to advertise a more 'preferred' vendor - or even another store (!?) - they have a huge front window, many other alternatives.

And if, (as eBay has) that store persisted in hypocritical promotions of 'alternatives'  a while denying YOUR placement of your OWN x-promotional placards on your shelf - and then told you it's THEIR way or there's the door....

Well, is it any wonder so many have chosen to walk through it?

Leaving even MORE space for their 'promotions'.