Sat Feb 25 2017 22:37:51

Should eBay Penalty Apply in This Case?

By: Reader

Discovered the first late shipment I've ever had on eBay on my report this morning. Been a long time top rated seller. I always ship immediately.

This was for an item that I discovered a flaw after I received payment. I was waiting to hear back from a message to the buyer on a possible partial or full refund. I didn't want to waste money on shipping if she didn't want it at all. She did want it, I issued the partial, shipped immediately after that.

The report says it was delivered late. Here are the details:

Paid on Saturday February 4th, 2017
Issued partial refund on Monday, February 6th (late in the day, first I heard from buyer)
Shipped on Tuesday, February 7th
Delivered on Friday February 10th (via priority USPS)

Not sure what I did to deserve this "late shipment". I called, got tossed around 3 times, heard the same thing, it's the rules, it sticks.

So, from now on, I guess I just ship right away, regardless, and handle any issues after that. I like the 24 hour window as I can and do ship right away, and I want them to know I do, but I guess it doesn't allow taking care of your customers.

Wished I hadn't wasted my time calling for nothing. I should have known,...
Anne

Should eBay Penalty Apply in This Case?   Should eBay Penalty Apply in This Case?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 26 03:02:56 2017

Wait! EBay's punishing you for doing the right thing????  Say it isn't so!

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 26 05:09:10 2017

Maybe it would help if all of your stuff was checked for flaws etc BEFORE YOU LISTED IT FOR SALE.

Buyers are usually wary of sellers who tell them something happen and the item isn't as described.

I would consider myself lucky not to get a negative for the item.

Carrot jumpers have to be extra careful. The rest of us just sit back and relax.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Sun Feb 26 08:19:43 2017

Shipping an item that is not as described just to avoid a late shipment ''ding'' doesn't make sense. It will get a seller in more trouble than anything else.

Just explaining to the buyer (with photos) about what was not noticed when listing is the correct way to handle this. If the shipping window was missed, so be it.

Ebay support likely told the OP to relax, and you are allowed a certain number of these before you lose TRS privileges. Or maybe this seller is on the cusp of losing their top-rated status due to other late shipments.

The bad thing is that there was a great deal of time wasted trying to get this ''strike'' removed. Sometimes there are circumstances like this that happen, and not every transaction is perfect.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 26 08:54:23 2017

@FeelingFroggy "Maybe it would help if all of your stuff was checked for flaws etc BEFORE YOU LISTED IT FOR SALE"

Things do happen after items have been check. I had a piece of clothing that when I took it out of bag with hanger that it got snagged for a final lint removal and packaging.
It just happens.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 26 09:31:23 2017

Something like the dog ate my homework.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Feb 26 11:11:27 2017

@FeelingFroggy - Occasionally things do get noticed after a listing, and I'm a person who documents in meticulous detail any thing that someone might be concerned about.

Back when I was still selling on eBay, I listed a rare, old metal lunchbox which ended with a high final bid. As I was packing it for shipment, the light hit the surface just right and I could see superficial cracking in the design. I immediately contacted the buyer to ask if they wanted to cancel the sale, but they were so happy to get this lunchbox that they were fine with the cost. And I didn't get a negative.

My personal opinion is that a buyer would not be "wary" but be appreciative that a seller was honest enough to contact them and give them the option of canceling the sale.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 26 11:36:57 2017

@FeelingFroggy: you may have a dog eat your homework, but I have cats that write A+ papers for school.  LOL

I love the summer because of being able to use natural light. I take a lot of items outside to do my proofing and inspection of items.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 26 12:22:26 2017

The more I read this stuff, the more I feel like ebay thinks we are children,

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sun Feb 26 14:59:23 2017

Ebay wants you to either ship it per your listing or refund the buyer.   They lack common sense everywhere.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 26 17:59:14 2017

Silly sellers.

Don't you know you are just supposed to take another from your inventory and ship that one instantly instead?

Oh, you say this was a one of a kind sale?  You mean you are not a mega item retail store?  There's a unique diversity to your offers?  Potential for individual nuance in your transactions?  A need for individual, personalized customer service?

That does not 'compute'.

Ding.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 26 22:02:54 2017

What caused the ding was not shipping on Monday if you operate on the one business dy shipping model.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 27 09:21:01 2017

Ming, I bet you are right on correct. If retaining a seller status was involved, the deadline is 1-business day following payment.

According to OP's post, payment was made on Saturday. That means 5pm Monday was the absolute latest it could have been mailed without penalty.

OP look at it this way - indeed, it was a mistake, deliberate or not, it happened. A penalty is involved. Accept the penalty and be thankful it was not a SNAD or something worse, and all you lost was time and not money.  The late ship demerit will go away before too terribly long and won't mean anything if you're careful to not make any more errors before enough time goes by.

I am in the same situation: buyer paid on Saturday and it is Monday AM and I have the box on my desk waiting for me to print up a label and get it to the P.O.

Good luck, and I am sorry this happened to you. It will to all of us once in a while.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 27 09:48:21 2017

I hear your pain. I sell from an inventory of close to 20K items. At times the paperwork doesn't coincide like it should and something that is OOS sells. In 15 years of selling this has happened maybe 5 times so it isn't like I do this deliberately. I found another copy and had it shipped Priority to me as I don't drop ship items. I want to inspect them first. I kept the buyer in the loop the whole time, I didn't make a penny and actually lost quite a bit, I got a late shipping ding on Amazon as I too do 1 day shipping. I didn't like seeing that ding on my metrics, but I would rather offer marvelous customer service than worry about potential dings. Same reason I got a package to the PO at one minute to closing on Friday. I printed the label thinking I could get it out in time for the mail pick up but she was delivering faster than usual. I knew if I didn't get the package scanned in at the PO on Friday I would get another ding. So I went out of my way to do so.

This is one of the things I like best about ecrater. NO dings because you are trying for good customer service. Actually no dings at all. We are treated as adults that know what is best for our business unlike Amazon and ebay. I do understand those venues thinking as they are too big for individual exceptions in keeping everyone doing the same thing so that customer service is essentially the same no matter the seller.

@feelingFroggy - I agree with the others about potential changes in condition after listing. Life happens. Sounds like it has never happened to you, but if you stay in this business long enough it will happen to you as well.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 27 09:53:40 2017

After reading and posting about the above letter, I see further in my digest this headline: "eBay to Grant Amnesty for Mardi Gras Delays" Due to Mardi Gras festivities in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi, packages may be delayed between February 24 and February 28. Apparently there is a dispensation for things not getting to those areas or from those areas on time. Does eBay even do this for Christmas a much bigger and busier holiday? Why is Mardi Gra being given this ding free time? Sounds fishy to me.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 27 10:20:12 2017

Moonwishes, you are the kind of business partner everyone hopes for.

None of the good online venues like eCrater and others want their fingers in their stores' business dealings, and it is refreshing to find ones that are sticking to their role of only providing a selling platform that individuals simply cannot afford on their own.

As you said, that does not include Amazon and eBay. Perhaps this is one more annoyance that they can insist on, in what can appear like a mission to convince small sellers to get out, leaving them with the Asian behemoths that require no ''customer service'' from their venue.

I sell on Ruby Lane, which goes so far as to give me the option of communicating with customers through the RL email system, or just using my own personal account.  They send copies of correspondence so I'm free to email with customers on my own if I want to, instead of having to always sign into RL to do it. Especially with repeat longer time customers this is really terrific because I'm not always signed in to the venue.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 27 10:22:44 2017

RE the Mardi Gras situation - I wonder if it is a security thing.

Depending on the areas involved, post office locations etc., I bet ''they'' are prohibiting larger trucks and it may be impacting on the USPS service schedules(?)

Just a guess. Why else ?

This user has validated their user name. by: RavenNightMyst

Mon Feb 27 10:26:39 2017

I think the OP did the right thing, but what would be prudent would be to advise the buyer that you would need an answer by a specific day and/or time. You could explain that you must ship or refund by ''X'' day in order to be in compliance with eBay's rules. It's the truth.

by: Golddustwoman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 27 10:45:12 2017

I always inspect items BEFORE I list them, but sometimes after being packed or moved around something could happen to an item. When that happens, I immediately send a refund explaining I found a flaw when getting ready to ship, and that I don't ship unacceptable merchandise to my customers. Buyers always respond with "thanks for being honest and for the immediate refund" and they leave great positive feedback. So, I don't even bother with shipping something that could possibly cause issues.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 27 11:18:55 2017

There was once a time that sellers could provide great customer service. Then along came JD with all his changes that took good customer service away from the sellers. e.g. defects, etc

by: toyspast This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 27 11:24:46 2017

OP, I have no idea why you're stressing over ONE late penalty. Unless you sell hardly anything per month, eBay built in leeway to account for stuff like this. I'm an average seller and at the beginning of the new requirement, I ended up with something like 25 dings and still retained my Top-Rater Plus status. I would have done the same thing, withheld the item until I heard from the buyer and just take the little ding from eBay. Better then taking the ding from the buyer. Chill and relax on this one.