Wed Feb 22 2017 15:58:12

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

By: Reader

It's been quite a while since I've written to you regarding eBay. Due to very poor sales over the past year, I actually have pulled all of my items. I made more money in my garage sales last year than selling on eBay. But I digress...

I have two bones to pick with eBay.

First, after I signed into eBay, I see a little "i" in a circle to the left of the URL www.ebay.com. Ironically, I've been dealing with this very issue on several of my own web sites. You see, the "i" can be opened and it reads, "Your connection to this site is not secure. You should not enter any sensitive information this site (for example: passwords or credit cards) because it could be stolen by attackers."

I fixed the problem for my own stores. My web host helped we walk through the steps and it was an easy process. Now, my sites show Secure and https:mydomainname

However, pray tell how can eBay operate without an http"S": on their web site? I am already signed into eBay and I'm still being told the site is insecure. Can you please ask if others are seeing this too? No wonder, sales are down. We are being told NOT to trust the eBay web site! Why do they not have a secure "s" site?

My other complaint with eBay? They have owed me a $25 credit and my spouse a $7 credit from accounts that have zero inventory for several months now, and you think they could auto-refund us? No, they just send monthly statements stating the credit.

If they can take money from us via PayPal, why the heck can't they refund us without having to ask? I bet they are hoping to keep refunds from old account at some point. I contacted them through the web site today and asked for a phone call. Never got a call. Surprise, surprise.

I welcome whatever you can find out, especially about the unsecured (no http"S":).
Wellspring

Note from the editor: This reader's concerns over the security of the eBay site, sent on Monday night, are valid - see today's report in The Register.

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns   Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 17:49:30 2017

Not sure how long its been for you but when we closed a store last year we had a 1.25 credit that showed on statements for six months. On the seventh month they credited it to our paypal account.

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns   Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Feb 22 23:37:21 2017

eBay has not been using HTTPS on there regular pages for a long time and they have done nothing about it. They will soon be up against it when the new GDPR guidelines go into effect. They new a few years ago that this was going to come about but they would have to rewrite the code on hundreds of thousands of pages since a lot of the base code goes back to the '90's. An example is what happened a number of weeks ago when you were getting pages that looked like eBay in the '90's. The OP who remarked that it was easy to fix on their web site is because their web site was probably using up to date CSS and it was an easy fix. One of these days soon every web browser that is up to date will not allow the user to go to eBay because of the insecure web pages. The eBay and all of the sellers will be SOL.

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns   Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

by: elcheapoposters This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 24 00:35:48 2017

:) Even Ina's site is still HTTP. Recent browser updates made the non ssl ( non https ) connection throw scary errors, including that little ''i'' in a circle so.. sure, now is the time.

However, it's not all that simple for a large site. Heck, I just migrated 10 sites to 100% SSL and am still finding some places that got left out. I can imagine this will be a nightmare for ebay as so much of the site spans decades.

The other thing about 100% SSL is it has some performance costs that will force ebay to roll out slowly. They're probably already working on.

About the other issues: Sure, everybody's sales went down over the years on Ebay. The golden age is over.. BUT... there is GOOD NEWS on the horizon....

Ebay is moving forward with new BUY and SELL APIs. What this means is that more sites ( blogs, ecommerce, wordpress, anything ) will soon be able to actually 'sell' ebay products on their own site and I don't mean just their own products - I mean yours, mine, anyone's. The downside is that you must be a TRS to have your items included in the feed. Can you say carrot and stick?

This will most likely mean lots of new inroads from affiliate members. I think it's a smart move - it will increase ebay's online footprint thousands of times making the likelihood of sales better. I can imagine niche collectors sites featuring specific categories of products, all the way to mega listers hosting large portions of the entire ebay inventory.

It's not just your mom's plain old affiliate site... it's the shape of things to come. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm sure everyone else ( Amazon, Walmart, et al ) will join in.

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns   Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 24 00:51:05 2017

I've had a credit on my account since Jan 2016 that has yet to be refunded.

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns   Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 24 02:15:12 2017

Most sites only have the checkout https. I have only see a couple of sites jump on the https for all pages but they are smaller newer websites with all the newest technology. Most will eventually roll it out, lots of work. I agree the browsers are confusing non tech people but I don't believe that is the reason sales are down. Sales are down on ebay because they messed up with google several years ago. Now ebay is not always the top product. Ebay tossed a lot of sellers/buyers out the 175th floor window and now wonder where they all are. Amazons buying system is so much better. Younger people think ebay is an old site which is not as hip as facebook, poshmark, offer up etc the list goes on and on with new selling platforms popping up. Also people don't have as much disposible income that they did 10 years ago. Most are just making ends meet, which would explain the mass amount of lowball offers. As a seller you need to learn to adapt to the times. Sell on multiple market places, use social media. You no longer can just list something and hope the world will see it. You need to put a little work into it to earn your money.

Think of it like a tv channel. Back in the day there were only a few so everyone was basically watching the same shows. Now there are around 1000 channels. Is everyone still watching the same channel? No, they are watching a 1000 different. You need to get in front of as many customers as possible. You can't do that listing on 1 channel.

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns   Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 24 04:33:40 2017

I was a TRS , never again. Sales are slow, that is the new normal.

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns   Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 24 10:59:16 2017

Explains all the SPAM & PHISHING attempts in eMail inboxes that MATCH the PayPal address you have entered on your eBay SELL form.

Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns   Ex eBay Seller Raises Pair of Concerns

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Feb 24 12:29:43 2017

I've had an eBay credit since February 2008 when I stopped selling there. Maybe they'll refund it next year on the tenth anniversary.