Mon Feb 20 2017 22:17:00

Buyer Fears eBay Practices May Help Shill Bidders

By: Reader

I have noticed a new thing with eBay while bidding last week.

I was bidding on a postage stamp set. The bidding jumped above the Scott catalog price. I wanted to check who was out bidding me.

I opened the link to see the bidders, while every bid but my own was by "private listing - bidders' identities protected". That was 26 of the 28 bids. The site also said there were eight bidders.

I commented on eBay's link to look at how we liked the page or service. I told them that hiding the bidder's information was helping people to drive up prices for the sellers.

In the past, we could look at "(User ID)" (mine) how many time I bid with this seller, and if found to be only bidding or doing 90 percent with the seller then it could have been assumed that I was just helping the seller to drive up prices. I also told them that only my friends know who "(User ID)" is so my identity is protected.
JC

Buyer Fears eBay Practices May Help Shill Bidders   Buyer Fears eBay Practices May Help Shill Bidders

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 21 03:14:34 2017

Yes Ebay changed this a while back.  It has been a couple years at least, but I don't remember how long it has been for sure.

While other bidders can't see the bidding IDs, the seller for that specific listing can.  And you are correct, Ebay said it was to protect the privacy of the buyers.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 21 10:53:00 2017

As a buyer I'm glad ebay does this as its no ones business what I'm buying.

As a seller if you think there are shills on my auctions then report it to Ebay.

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 21 16:51:53 2017

Crooks love this feature, which has been around for a LONG time. Every time I see fake art on eBay, the seller uses ''private listing - bidders' identities protected.''

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Feb 21 23:09:18 2017

I'm inclined to believe that this change a couple of years ago was more about higher FVFs than it was about protecting the identity of buyers.

Ebafia protects no one unless it's in their best interests.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Feb 22 00:02:21 2017

Ming:

Amen!

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Wed Feb 22 00:38:32 2017

Privacy = fraud facilitator.

by: imbloated This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 01:45:12 2017

A simple and fair change would be for eBay to leave it to the buyer to decide whether to show full user ID. eBay won't, though, so that shill bidders can make them more money. Ebay by default makes collections public whereas they should allow the user to decide whether private or public is the default. Privacy is not a concern for eBay; profit is.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 01:53:14 2017

I don't like it either cause there's no transparency. In an auction there's has to be openness in order to believe no fraud is happening and here only ebay and the seller knows whats happening. We all know ebay doesn't care or is always missing in action. Either the seller or the buyer can commit fraud.

This was probably one of donuthole ideas.

by: Biglouis This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 03:16:44 2017

This is why I always snipe auctions! I set my max bid in advance. I may get outbid from time to time but I cant be conned into bidding more than my max.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 10:29:46 2017

private listings for auction should not be allowed. we have so little information now anyways it is a crime to take more of it away. By the way - the biggest seller on eBay antiques and artwork (he is well known and from Rhode Island) shilled every single item he lists. If you check items bid history it is filled with different ID's but all seem to be doing 70-90% bidding just his auctions. BLATANT Shill Bidding.

by: dsrothpan This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 10:35:42 2017

This practice has been going on for quite some time and this Buyer's Identity Protected etc. most often is found with International sellers.  Auction format is becoming scarce on Ebay and the ones that are listed I would say most often have more than one shill bidder.  Buyer beware!

by: methuen-web-sales This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 12:08:50 2017

I put in a bid for the highest price I'm willing to pay and if I win it, great!  If I don't, well my life isn't over.  There always seems to be another item I want coming along in time.  If the shill wins it, the seller will have to pay the FVF and relist it.  Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.  When I see someone over bid me and then I'm back on top since they rescinded their bid I back off mine too!

by: fifilapew This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 16:33:01 2017

For $6.00 a year's subscription gixen's mirror snipe bidding service is brilliant! And no, I don't work for this company

I set my max price then walk away. No more sitting by the computer to place your bid during auction's final remaining seconds.

I have stopped placing bids earlier on as, very often, no one wants an item until someone else does...human nature.

by: fifilapew This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 22 16:38:54 2017

I do use a private id when buying on ebay. I have a very nosy family. It is no one's business what I purchase.

How unprofessional!!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Feb 25 15:38:56 2017

@fifilapew

"Another pet peeve, is when you ask seller a question and they post that question to the listing. The question is my business, not the entire ebay world. I've even had a few sellers copy and paste question along with my user id to that listing page."

As a seller who at times posts the questions to my listings. If you feel this way you should so state that when you ask the question. Otherwise how in the world would I know that you don't want it posted to the listing.

Never had a request like that in the past but that's not to say that someone might not like the question posted on the listing.