Thu Feb 2 2017 22:05:54

Could This Be Why My Sales Are Down, Seller Asks?

By: Reader

I hope you are having a great start to the New Year. I'm not. Sales are down on eBay from last year over $1200.00 just between Nov and Dec. Being a small seller, this hurts. A lot.

I wanted to check with others that sell on eBay if they have had this issue and if they are not aware of this, they should check.

We all know that there is an increase of people using their iPhones to purchase off eBay.  I was checking one of my items and noticed it said "14 Day Returns". Well that is not true, I always offer a 30 Day Return. So I got a hold of customer service and as I understand it, there is no technical support to contact directly with any technical issue.

Here is my issue (which is huge considering so many people buy using their mobile phones!).

I sent customer service 2 PDF files, identical item, one screenshot from my PC and one from my iPhone.

- Return policy on iPhone says 14 Day Return

- Return Policy on my desk top computer shows 30 Day Return

All software is up to date on iPhone and home PC.

I was then told by customer service to make sure I have my return policy in the body of my listings so potential buyers would see it when they review the item.  I think the Customer Service/Technical Support that isn't missed the point.

If a mobile buyer is dependent on eBay showing correct information on the abbreviated version of eBay on a mobile phone, 9 times out of 10 they will pass mine by and go in search of a 30 day return (if they see it at all!). Which of course everyone now expects 30 Day Returns from eBay and anyone with less than a 30 Day Return gets downgraded in search.

I was wondering why I had a deplorable December! And really, I think this is why.

To all other sellers, please check your listings and do not let this go. If you find you are having an issue, it won't go away. I have no idea how long this has been happening but am pretty sure it has been at least since November! My sales just reeked!

Maybe you can reach out to eBay if anyone else reports this issue to you?
Thank you Ina!
A Deplorable Seller

Could This Be Why My Sales Are Down, Seller Asks?   Could This Be Why My Sales Are Down, Seller Asks?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 00:40:30 2017

I  hope  you are  NOT  an actual "Deplorable Seller"  and  rather that you are  just  using  the term  to describe  less  than  normal  sales!

We have run "Tests"  like  you  did  using  several  different  cell phones;  tablets;  laptops  and  even a Kindle.  ALL show  different  info OR  what  info is DISPLAYED  is  different.  Of  course--ebay does not care.  They  want to push mobile  device  buying  but  they do not want to LISTEN  to US  tell them what  the problems  are--problems THEY MADE!

Just  last  week  I had an over seas  buyer  who  asked a question  I KNEW  was in my listing;  I asked him if he could  see  this   info  (after we  got  chatting)  and he said HE  had not been able to on his PHONE but his SON had  been  asked for help on it and he  figured out WHERE  to  look and found  the info.  We  were both surprised  and happy to at  least  know  what  was going on;  and I  gained a new  customer  for  some export  business!

I have also had  unhappy customers  when they THINK  they have  all the info  displayed and they DON'T.

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 01:31:50 2017

Something is up and I have had several people say they cannot see all of my listings if they are on mobile.  We sell like new name brand clothing for unreal prices and still are slow.  If we are lucky we may get 1 or 2 sales a week. Can't rely on only eBay anymore

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 01:35:01 2017

I sell about $60k a year on ebay and i have a 'no return' policy. Having to deal with amazons returns is annoying enough. If im losing 10% of sales due to my policy, so be it. The time i would waste dealing with them wouldnt offset the increase in sales

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 01:53:01 2017

Well, My Dec sales were actually higher then the year before and I thought was do to people being happy about our new President however Jan is down and I think is do people haven't received their tax refunds.

I checked eBay on the iPhone and return policy is the same as on the PC.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Feb 3 02:30:55 2017

OP

While the problem you describe is certainly concerning, I really doubt it is the reason for your lower sales.  But it is a problem that Ebay needs to pay attention to and fix.

What a buyer sees should not IMHO differ between different devices.  It should always read the same.  Anything less just causes unnecessary issues for both the buyer and the seller.

Most buyers know that the sellers stated return policy isn't the final word.  No matter if you say 14 days or even no returns, ALL sellers have a 30 day return policy because of the Money Back Guarantee policy of Ebays.  So it is very doubtful that the return policy seen just on mobile devices cause you such a decline in sales.

Also another note, that was BAD advice you received about putting your return policy in the body / description of your listing.  That kind of advice would only come from someone that has never sold on Ebay or has only been selling the last several years.  Because they just don't know or understand how time consuming that can really be.

Sellers fought long and hard for YEARS to get specific fields for certain things on our listings.  There was a time when every time Ebay released new rules that had to do with listings, many times we had to go in and change the body of a listing one by one by one.  For some of us that was 1,000s of listings.  For some it took weeks to get all the listings updated.  And then Ebay would come out with something else and the cycle would start all over again.

The first concession was Ebay agree to stop with all the constant changes and only release dramatic chances to listings no sooner than 90 days apart.  For the most part they have kept to that.  At least most of the time.

Then they gave us page 2 of a listing when you view one.  It has some separate fields that were desperately needed.  Now we can change things in bulk because we could zero in on specific fields.  Unlike when it is in the description area of a listing.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 03:22:47 2017

Bottom line.  Mobile devices (phones) are the worst way to see items and shop.  Period.  How are people able to see the full view & description using their phone ?  It makes no sense.  Not every smartphone is made alike, not every O/S is the same.  I think these concerns are with almost every retailer out there.
I tried unsuccessfully to shop on Urban Outfitters and could never get my log-in information to work.  And don't try to call/contact these online retailers.

Remember, the majority of buyers still go to a B&M to buy stuff.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 03:30:15 2017

OP, try this site for your mobile viewings: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test
This ebay site is supposed to help make your listings more "mobile-friendly".  There's a YT video that explains how it works.  It's a big*ss pain to do it for several listings.  Lots of time consumed.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 08:28:11 2017

With over 30000 listings in 5 stores we have no returns and a 20 percent restocking fee.

In the past 12 months our sales have been great. For the month of Jan we changed everything to 30 day returns and no restocking fees.

Sales didn't change at all. We went back to the no returns and a 20 percent restock. We have neither the time or energy to babysit Ebay buyers who refuse to read.

Ebay marks all our auctions as extended shipping time ( 5 days ) and no returns with a restocking fee. We could care less as it does probably cut done on the rift raft.

Sales so far this year are great just a tad above last year.

by: macsbaby This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 10:27:51 2017

I dont think that is the reason. Someone local mentioned how their ebay sales were off about 30% from last year....and as you can see, others are just fine. My sales on another site are actually up....not relevant but I thought I would throw it out there. Just an opinion. People shouldnt care about 14 to 30 day return except the borrowers, and you dont want them anyway!

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Feb 3 10:58:33 2017

If you've ever seen the kind of code that comes out of these development shops, you wonder why _more_ info isn't warped or lost.  The situation is very quickly moving from an economics issue (jobs) to a national security issue (infrastructure has to work).

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 12:07:48 2017

I can't begin to tell you how often a Mobile Shopper has messaged me with a question that was clearly answered with detail AND photos, in the item description.

It happens because eBay does such a poor job of making it easy for phone users to see their available options.

We have gone to using the ''Used'' option for ALL our items, used or not, so that we can put ''Click the Description Link'' in the box that goes with the Used option.

Even then, most people on their phones DON'T READ what is available, just look at the main picture and the price.
I'm surprised there aren't MORE returns than there are now.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 12:58:24 2017

Another oddity  happened  to me-when using  my phone to  buy something I HAD  looked at  thoroly on the laptop (just  needed to check  the kid  for  her  proper  size)  the site  SWITCHED  my  actual  address to one I had used  YEARS  before  when my kid  was in college;  of course  they no longer  lived  there so  this turned into a BIG  mess;  finally solved  when  the seller  got the package  back  and I paid  for a new  shipment.

Ebay of  course  had NO  idea HOW  this could  have happened and offered  no  help-===they some how had  switched  this and I was  somehow  at  fault!

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 13:22:46 2017

Putting it in your description won't help.

When I look on mobile there is NO description of any kind shown.

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 14:28:05 2017

However, tucked away in a small corner of the mobile screen (left side, if I remember) are the words Description Link. That is the problem. NOBODY sees it.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 3 19:20:27 2017

I think this sounds like a glitch on Ebay's part and they should correct it. Any information you have in your Ebay website should carry over to mobile and, if not, it's Ebay's problem that they should fix. Unfortunately, they don't have any skin in the game as far as a problem for their sales so they don't care and probably won't fix it. However, I think you are just reading into this as being the reason your sales are down so much. I doubt that's the problem. Sales are just down because Ebay doesn't promote our items AND they also promote other items at better prices within any ad a buyer is looking at. Who's going to buy something from you for $19.99 if they are notified by Ebay at the time they look at your listing, that they can buy the same thing for $12.99 (and even if there were no returns with that item, they would still buy from the other person because the return policy is only important if there is something wrong with the listing.

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 11:12:14 2017

Everyone and I mean everyone who is pushing this metric about how ecommerce sale items being viewed on smartphones is over 60% and on the rise is doing so for their own agendas whatever they may be and every one of them is obfuscating the actual truth of the matter.

Views on smartphones are up purely as a coincidental effect of everyone now having the devices. THAT IS ALL! The only thing that matters is purchases and the real numbers show that even though "views" on mobile devices are up and up, that actual purchases are being made on non mobile, home devices be they PCs, Laptops etc.

While someone may be perusing your item on their phone during downtime or a break or while working out etc, who knows or cares, when it comes time to buy they are doing the real looking and buying on a PC.

Obviously there is a benefit to push this mobile agenda or companies wouldn't be doing it and going to the effort of misleading people so badly, but the bottom line still is that it's all whooey!

by: Jake613 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 9 12:40:21 2017

While we may all have some -or many- gripes about Ebay, I don't think it's mostly their fault. Fact is, 8 years of reckless Govt. spending by the Obama administration have caused the coming recession. I hope Prez. Trump can fix things in time, but this downward trend is not just happening to EBay sellers but to many service based sites as well as professional service based people such as dentists! Brace yourself folks for a tough selling year in 2017 and who knows after that!?