Thu Nov 30 2017 22:49:56

Seller Not Happy with Etsy Responses on Company Goals

By: Reader

You must read the newest Q and A in Etsy Forums under Discussions. It was a huge insult to sellers to have an advocacy admin wanting us to ask questions about Etsy's new, what really amounts to an ad campaign, guised as social and economic advocacy, "Make Commerce Human".

The inability of Etsy to recognize the humanity of Etsy sellers and what it means to be human within the company's business practices and treatment towards Etsy sellers, left everyone in an outrage. Not one question was about the topic initiated by the admin, although references were made, from sellers in order to let their voices be heard.

What I found most intriguing was the answer concerning Etsy's new goal of "increasing sellers" (not buyers) on its platform as stated by Mr. Silverman during his recent Nov. conference call to shareholders. And a new internal growth target based a on "meaningful seller income."

Thanks for what you do!
M.

Seller Not Happy with Etsy Responses on Company Go   Seller Not Happy with Etsy Responses on Company Go

by: kie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 1 18:23:07 2017

now that you're aware of their goals... take action now to put your ''eggs'' in multiple baskets. Etsy loyalty is to investors and someone has concluded that sellers are the golden goose. Best option is your very own site and paying money toward your own advertising.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Dec 1 21:07:48 2017

Sounds like Etsy equates sellers as cattle. Herd them in and squeeze as much profit out of them that they can get.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Fri Dec 1 21:08:11 2017

▲ What “M” said above ▲

“M” said: “What I found most intriguing was the answer concerning Etsy's new goal of increasing sellers (not buyers) on its platform as stated by Mr. Silverman during his recent Nov. conference call to shareholders. And a new internal growth target based a on meaningful seller income.''

HUH ??? WHAT ???
“Etsy's new goal of INCREASING SELLERS”  ???
— (Must need more people selling FAKE handmade)
“New INTERNAL growth target based a on MEANINGFUL SELLER INCOME”   ???
— (Will SOMEONE PLEASE just shoot me.   I can't even address this one)

I've been  following the above referenced thread, and can vouch for it's being ANOTHER of the MANY threads that Etsy has initiated, that has no REAL purpose, in that NOTHING will ever be done about any of it, and it just upsets everyone.  I guess their focus groups tell them that sellers feel better after venting, and consequently they believe things will get better.  NOT !!!

RE:  “Keep Commerce Human.”
IMHO, Given Etsy's propensity to feature sellers and products from countries with massive amounts of underpaid & slave labor rates, that destroy the shops of the good people that built Etsy, it seems to me that the “slogan” is more than just a bit absurd, preposterous, and loathsome.

Oh, and Mr Silverman: ,  In order to show you that I want to BE one of your “New Internal Growth Targets”, and wish to have MEANINGFUL SELLER INCOME,  you may contact me in order to verify my tax returns..... and ''All You Got To Do Is, Pick Up Your Telephone'', And Dial 634-5789.....

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 1 21:38:05 2017

I found it disgraceful that Etsy would choose a young woman of color to do its virtue signaling with regard to the latest hoax of "making commerce human."  This whole charade was an insult to the loyal Etsy sellers who have stood by, through thick and thin, trying to make some money off this Godforsaken site.

Another highly offensive bromide by the Powers that Be- the usual claim to want more "diversity" at HQ and in their employees.

Here's a pro tip for Josh & Co:  you want diversity AND experience?  How about hiring a bunch of people who are over 50, preferably women who are trying to earn a living on Etsy.  You might actually learn something about the real world.

Not a chance in  hell that's ever gonna happen!

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Fri Dec 1 23:21:11 2017

None of this stuff is written down.  You learn it from your superiors, and as you go.  “50 somethings”  is one way to go.  Gets rid of the immature garbage we all have, well into our 20's, real quick.

In the 60's I worked for JCP, in one of their biggest stores.  We hired departmental management trainees, right out of college, with just about ANY degree.  If we had 20 department managers, they had 20 different degrees.  Right down to the linens manager, with the Phy Ed degree, and NO selling, management, or linens experience AT ALL !!!

No one cared about the degree itself.  It was about applying yourself, and getting through college.  They all had to learn everything on the job anyway.  The degree showed they could learn.  Meetings were cordial, with coffee & cigarettes only.  And NEVER on the roof.  Everyone's ideas were welcome. The boss chose a direction, we went down that path, formalized the details, and that was that.

And NOBODY talked like all these corporate types do now.  You would have been fired if someone higher up ever heard you talk nonsense like they do now.  And I doubt there was an MBA in the entire district, let alone the store.

Everybody knows that when an MBA graduates from school, they have to start their ACTUAL training.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Fri Dec 1 23:29:39 2017

And as far as more ''diversity'' at HQ and in their employees:

Over 50 years ago, in at  least that one JCP store, there were Women, Whites, Blacks, Jews, Gays, Poles, Irish And Mexicans,  that were both managers AND employees.  Nobody really thought anything about it, and I can tell you NO ONE was hired to fill out any “quota”.

Funny how a decent job, and decent treatment can improve some stuff a lot.

by: pennyemporium This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 3 12:37:28 2017

''meaningful seller income''

at first glance, i assumed they were talking about a *SELLER'S meaningful income* , but after reading that statement again, it's more like ETSY'S income off the backs of sellers.

one might think that if a seller wasn't throttled on Etsy and sold lots of widgets, then by default Etsy would make more income.  this holiday season on Etsy, it's very clear that this is NOT the direction they are going, but instead want sellers to buy more paid listing promos, buy the pattern website duplication, buy the google ads, buy lots of Etsy add-on things with the dangled hope that all this ''extra seller income'' Etsy is generating for itself may possibly result in a sale.

nope, just the transfer of ''meaningful seller income'' OUT of the seller pocket and INTO Etsy's pocket.  Ho, ho, ho!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Dec 3 20:40:11 2017

Yep, Etsy is milking the herd. Referring to their sellers. And what does Etsy and for that matter Ebay do to earn their money...absolutely nothing.. with the exception of devising more and more schemes.

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 3 23:32:13 2017

We have seen this happen before. At Ebay. And what a strange coincidence (NOT) there is an Ebay alum in charge.

Etsy sellers, get out while you can.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ihatethebay

Mon Dec 4 00:00:33 2017

I left Evilbay as a seller from 2000 to 2015 and while Etsbay has been less intrusive and micro-managing of my listings, I know the time will come when I will have to leave Etsbay for greener selling pastures. Shame, shame, shame.

by: odona This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 00:47:47 2017

It seemed to only take minutes altho it definitely was within a month or so after the public offering that I started noticing a decline in sales which has only escalated. I now am doing about 15% of the business I was doing in late 2014...possible people have grown bored (I offer vintage fragrances, bags, costume jewelry) but somehow that doesn't seem like the problem...it seems like the more the "engineers" and MBA directed humans get involved in the process of goosing search, selling advertising to the sellers, etc, the farther and farther response and sales decline. I watched the IPO and subsequent takeover by the "suits" destroy ebay and now, sadly, it seems were witnessing the same thing. My ebay business eventually dropped a full 99%!
Unfortunately, at my age, I'm not in a position to create the venue needed for me and my fellow travelers and I can only try to hold on until I can shift my efforts to another platform (wherever that might be)...
The CEO doesn't know and would NEVER understand what the changes they're making can do to the purveyors on the site. I'm sure he's probably an OK guy but the whole of his loyalty is and must be to the large institutional stock holders, NONE of whom share the values us little golden eggs have. Sorry - I thought I'd never vent but I guess I have.

by: traciking This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 00:59:46 2017

This is what happens when a company goes public.  The shareholders have to be the company's first priority. They have to be satisfied and in order to do so Etsy has to make money.  The only way they can guarantee an income is off the backs of the sellers who are literally stuck on the site.  Dangle a carrot that may result in a sale and you have the sellers taking the bait.  Except it turns out to be a bait and switch and therefore no sale is forthcoming.  Lamenting the loss of the old Etsy is futile.  It is gone never to return. All those question and answer sessions are fake attempts to placate Etsy sellers and ease them into the changes yet to come.

by: traciking This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 01:01:25 2017

By the way Sellers are a dime a dozen, so leaving Etsy is no loss to the site.  There is always a seller to take your place who is eager to give their money to Etsy in exchange for a sale.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 08:07:05 2017

These are great posts from everyone and I really appreciate them.  The truth is, as was said by traciking, the old Etsy is gone, never to return, and new sellers are literally a dime a dozen.

In addition to Etsy and Ebay (micro seller) I have had a brick & mortar store in suburban NY for many years.  If you think online selling is bad, try B&M which is now officially a Dinosaur!

Everyone forgets the one thing that KILLED IT for all of us, namely MOBILE SALES and the SMALL SCREEN.

Face it, you really can't shop on a tiny screen, no matter how much it's optimized.  Plus people have the attention span of a flea.

We are in a race to the bottom for eyeballs- ask any advertising person.

by: MRV This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 08:19:19 2017

As many have mentioned, I had to re-read that statement as well -- ''meaningful seller income'', since it is quite ambiguous.

Is that income supposed to be meaningful to the seller?  Or to Etsy?

Considering the Amway model that they're following, in terms of acquiring more sellers rather than buyers, I would assume that the latter meaning is the case.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 11:08:19 2017

By the time you get this life figured out all your left with is a very expensive education

by: TMoore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 4 14:48:42 2017

I closed my Etsy account in October, thanks to the realization that the reason I had no sales there was that my listings were subject to an interesting attrition program set up by Etsy. A listing was scheduled to last 4 months before renewing. The problem was: listings in certain categories were only displayed up to 250 pages on the site. If a listing slid off the catalog thanks to new listings being posted, it became invisible, and in order to keep it on one had to renew more often than its duration. Also, no sales at a decent price, ever. I was pushed off the catalog by Chinese mass producers selling similar items for pennies on the dollar. Given this situation, there was no way for me to make any money on Etsy, and every way for me to pay more $$ per listing to Etsy. It's a shill corporation, pure and simple, and no one should expect to make money on the deal. Get your own site and find other markets to work with. You will do better for it.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Mon Dec 4 18:22:55 2017

@TMoore:  It became apparent to me YEARS AGO, that if Exsy was going to continue to refuse expanding the Vintage categories, I had to leave.   There was simply NO REASON NOT to expand the categories.  Ebay has thousands and thousands of Vintage cagegories.   Exsy is FILLED with merchandise looking for a category.

And now, sellers like yourself have exposed how Exsy has been playing this fake 4 month game.   Views have dropped severely at Exsy, as you would expect with exposure on page 251.   As said by “@Traciking” above, it will NEVER come back for MOST true Handcrafters and Vintage sellers.

I also see your problem of being on page 251, as the very reason that Exsy simply wouldn't do the obvious in my case:
ADD CATEGORIES!!!
(If you limit your categories to less than 5% of what Ebay has, then a whole lot more items hit page    251!!!

Incidentally, looking up the shops on Exsy, that belong to those who are often cheerleaders in the forums over there, often show those sellers to be what I call AMERICAN FAKE Handcrafters & Vintage Sellers. (as opposed to Asian or Chinese).  At best, they often just buy a fake sterling link bracelet, a fake handmade charm of some sort, and attach it with a ring.  Voila:  HANDMADE!!!  (In Exsy's eyes)

Good Luck, we may get some sort of decent site for real Handmade & Vintage yet.  Exsy and Ebay are about through filling that space.

by: Duster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 5 00:01:13 2017

Etsy did me a HUGE favor when they suspended my shops in May over the PayPal/Etsy Pay debacle.
I no longer sell online, but I now make more $ than I ever dreamed possible as a stock investor.
I look back and remember how hard I worked as a jeweler/mail order dealer for such a small amount of $.
With all that work and diligence I grossed 2 K a year. There are days now that I make more than that. There is no way I'd go back to selling on Etsy.
My mental state is much calmer now. I can still make jewelry as a hobby, without having to be concerned about selling any of it.  My happy, happy husband says he wish they had kicked me to the curb two years ago!
There is life after Etsy!  Sometimes it's so much better than all of the drama.

by: zamator This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 7 00:03:33 2017

For all these reasons and many more, it would be the best for everybody to join Artyah. Because if you don't join, you will keep wining about lack of sales on Etsy. Artyah needs more sellers. More sellers means more items. More items is more visitors, more views, more traffic. Artyah is an opportunity to make a change. Because for you, the only change on Etsy is continue saturating it with Chinese mass produced products, and by therefore making a lot of BILLIONS $$$$ for Etsy SEO, management and shareholders.
You will do a big favor for yourself by joining ARTYAH.
It costs nothing to join, all your items can be easily imported. Further, costs of renewals is not 20cents, but 5c.
Artyah structure is different from Etsy, but it's working. In order to make Artyah grow, we need more sellers, more items. That will create traffic. If you keep delaying joining Artyah, you won't make any change for yourself.