Sun Oct 29 2017 09:05:47

eBay Stores Display as Unsecured in Google Chrome

By: Reader

I don't know if you are aware or are even interested in this or not, but eBay finally got my listings secured on Google Chrome, but not my Store, and I checked some other stores and they also are displaying as unsecured.

I have talked to eBay support several times over the past 2 weeks about this. They have tried to change my store address from http to https but can not do it and have been opening reports to eBay's tech dept. As of today eBay stores are still unsecure.
C.

Note from the editor: As part of the Fall Seller Update, eBay announced; "As of October 16, 2017, eBay will use the HTTPS communications protocol for all listings, as we announced in our 2017 Summer Update. In the future, eBay will move all store pages to HTTPS as well."

eBay Stores Display as Unsecured in Google Chrome   eBay Stores Display as Unsecured in Google Chrome

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 29 12:19:59 2017

So you believe everything ebay tells you. They couldn't find their way to the bathroom without a flashlight and a road map.

Just because ebay says they will change stores doesn't mean they can.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 29 15:33:16 2017

it's completely a disgrace how ebay is operating today , who ever is in charge of this should be terminated immediately , this is not some random error this is neglect and irresponsible  100 % not acceptable.

even my small secure website which i run myself is tested that every page is secure and working , and does not show any issues when checked on all browsers , its as basic as it gets

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Mon Oct 30 01:13:11 2017

Yes the old My eBay is not secure and I think that all of the stores are not secure. Right now Chrome will not show them but only a small amount of people use chrome on their desktop. The real problem is that Android if it is up to date will not show it either.
eBay has known about this for years but they would not spend the money to reprogram the site until a year ago when they started scrambling to get up to date.
I doubt if the stores will ever be secure until some one puts up a big beef because they do not care.

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 10:19:37 2017

@ Bill
I have to disagree. Chrome is far and away the most used browser. Here are very recent figures:

According to StatCounter, Chrome is No. 1, with 58.4 percent of the market as of December 2016. By its count, Firefox is second with 13.45 percent. Safari is in third place, with 10.54 percent, followed by IE, with 8.92 percent, and then Edge, with 3.09 percent.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 30 11:31:52 2017

Reason number 1000 why we started out own website and got off the failing ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue Oct 31 00:02:25 2017

Toyman,

Yes, you are correct. I did not realize that Chrome was so powerfull. It has been awhile since I had my own website and IE was at the top back then according to my google webmaster tool of people that were searching my site and the key words they were using. They do not even call it that anymore.

So that means anyone who is paying for a store on eBay is getting hardly any hits because it is not secure. All you are getting is are cheaper listings and discounted fees.

Again more crap from eBay.

by: andanotherthing This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 1 07:37:05 2017

Funnily enough, I noticed a very strange thing on ebay UK with regard to the URLs. None of the URLs (on different pages or views of the listings, whether logged in to ebay or not) are the same, and in most cases the ENTIRE item description is missing from the URL. So far I have counted 5 different URLs - and I'm sure there are many more. Could ebay have possibly buggered up the listing URLs when it changed the http to https on listings last month? That might also account for the drop in sales (rather than increase that should happen at this time of year) that a lot of buyers, certainly many in the UK, are experiencing?

by: marty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 2 03:18:45 2017

I checked a couple of stores on ebay, all start with http. Perhaps they fix it as a Christmas gift

by: eBuster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 4 18:05:06 2017

The eBay Stores (ALL OF THEM) URL security lapse continues, as of today; as a known issue it has definitely adversely impacted sales and traffic over the last 3-4 weeks.

We are opening product sales on ToucanDeal.com ASAP as a full backup, on their fully secure e-commerce platform that imports listings to include images from eBay.

There they seem to avoid much of the legacy issues with basic code unfortunately long overdue for a fix on eBay.