Wed Oct 18 2017 08:52:02

eBay Makes Seller Clean Up Its Active Content

By: Reader

eBay changed the way they present the items with active content. There HAD been (until today) a link you could click to fix the active content on a listing you are revising.

Today, it comes up with a message that there is active content but you have to manually fix it.

The funny thing is, I have in older listings something that eBay put into the listings - it says "powered by seller manager pro" and is a clickable link.

When revising, if I delete that...the warning about active content goes away.

In other words, the active content I am being warned about was inserted into the listings by eBay originally (as I wouldn't bother putting that into my listings obviously).

So they do something in 2012 or whenever...and in 2017 it's a problem...and I have to clean it up when they are the ones that created the mess in the first place!

Wow.
David

eBay Makes Seller Clean Up Its Active Content   eBay Makes Seller Clean Up Its Active Content

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Oct 18 12:12:05 2017

I've never been so disappointed in eBay for being so dependent on Google that they would make so many sellers change so many listings for NOTHING.

One of my NON COMPLIANT listings is right on the top of a Google search, meaning Google has played eBay and eBay took the bait.

Google needs eBay more then eBay needs Google!

Without eBay Google would be an INFERIOR search engine!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Oct 19 02:39:23 2017

Yes, I reported this issue to Ebay a while back.  If you are a seller that has used or is using TurboLister, that little note it puts at the bottom of your listing when posted is a no no too.  I discussed this at length with a CSR, well actually a couple of them and it is just plain silly that they are counting their own links as being part of the problem.  Ebay should be able to remove them all without the sellers getting involved.

Google is important to many sellers and then not so much to others.  But because it may not be important to you because what you sell is not influenced much by Google searches, other are not the same.  Google is important to me as it is for many other sellers.  Lots and lots and lots of buyers use Google when initially looking for something.

So while these changes are a real pain and I hate all the work they have caused, I see them as a investment in our future and an effort in trying to keep up with the evolution of buyers.

by: Go tell the Spartans This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 20 00:50:28 2017

Unfortunately Google has nothing at all to do with the problem eBay has created. I've never yet seen eBay staff stand up and admit they screwed up and misread or misheard something. In this case Google did not say that all pages that have active content or HTTP content with be marked as unsecure. Google did say that pages that require input from the end user (you and me) such as in login information, the collection of name, address, banking or credit card information that are unsecure  will be shown as unsecure. Hence, your listing require no secure information from you! Unfortunately this is just eBay's lazy way of handle security.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Oct 20 02:44:31 2017

Some may find this information helpful and/or informative.

iring-https-for-secure-data-in-chrome/183756/

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 20 07:31:19 2017

I had the same issue with the Turbo Lister link but also with the code from Auctiva.  Which Auctiva DID NOT remove because I had their "original" scrolling gallery code from years and years back in several listings (ok, 1000 listings) . Actually I think they didn't remove it because I'm not a paying customer. Now I never will be.

I spent August, September and 3 weeks in October removing both Auctiva's code and Turbolister's code. I loved Turbolister but I'm so done with ebay and their nonsense.

They could have easily pushed changes out thru software to update all this crap.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 20 07:37:13 2017

You don't need to use Turbo Lister. It says Powered by Selling Manager Pro.

If YOU don't want that trash in my listings YOU TAKE IT OUT. (although I have been removing and/or altering ALL UNPAID ads in my listings since the dawn of time.

I told them that YOU TAKE IT OUT.

Almost every failure I've had since this BS started is EBAY

Now, to fix it, go into edit, by 500 at a time, and do description.   Find and replace. http:   and change it to https:

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 20 07:44:44 2017

Here is the funny part.  I called and told them, you can blame Google, you can blame anybody you want.

THE END RESULT:   Nothing new is getting listed, further screwing up this site.  The girl says BLAH BLAH.... BLAH WAH WAH.... I said NOTHING NEW IS GETTING LISTED, did you hear me, like, at all??  They call this the law of unintended consequences.  Kinda like the idiotic idea someone had to rate ALL SELLERS and demote the most popular sellers, based on the fact that you guys didn't want to NARU the bad guys by HAND one at a time?? Remember? (wah wah blah blah comes the whiney millennial answer)

I have spent over a full working month fooling with minutia.

So if another thing comes along I will be calling again, and i'm GONNA WANT A CHECK FROM EBAY.. HELLO???  This bs needs to stop.

HOLIDAY SHOPPING, I wonder if those dingbats even remember that season??

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 20 09:02:13 2017

One of the big reasons that I left ebay years ago was the changes (with time frames to accomplish those changes) that they kept giving us. As soon as you got one things done their was another. I spent close to two years 'fixing' one thing after another on an old dial up internet. After those two years, my inventory was way down and my sales had trickled to nothing. My fees were ahead of my sales.

With another seller's encouragement I tried using ebay again using the 50 free listings. I sold one item out of over 20 during two months time. Not worth the effort at this point. I will stick with eCRATER and Amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Oct 20 13:54:52 2017

@Beth

I ran into the same problem with Auctiva many years ago.  It was a difficult and time consuming thing to get rid of that scroll bar.  I had to go into each listing, find the section of HTML and delete it to get rid of the scroll bar.  It was nuts and a whole lot of work.

As for the TL link that appears at the bottom of some of my listings.  That one has proven to be far easier to get rid of.  All you need to do is drop to the bottom of your description area where the link appears, highlight it and delete it.  You don't have to go into the HTML at all.  While certainly annoying, it is much easier than the old version of the Auctiva scroll.