Tue Oct 17 2017 20:12:48

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

By: Reader

I've seen this happen twice now: A few days ago I found an item for $400. I signed out and signed back in with another ID (the one I buy with). Went back to the item immediately to buy it and it was $450.

I asked the seller if they had changed it. No, it had changed without their input and so they set it back to $400.

Just now I found an item for $5.77. Same thing, sign off, sign on. Now it's $6.77. What's happening?

I've heard of this happening on other sites, but eBay?
Thanks!
Smart-Bidder

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 18 01:26:25 2017

what other sites do that?  That's definitely a glitch and it should be reported to ebay:
@ askebay on twitter
downdetector.com

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 18 03:24:26 2017

Doesn't ebay still show the listing revisions? Check the timing on that.

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 18 07:51:08 2017

They better NOT change MY pricing. If I catch them they owe me some MONEY.

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 18 09:09:44 2017

good lord - now what?

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Wed Oct 18 11:53:14 2017

Don't worry. Bob Kupbens is working with coders which are not eBay employees to fix these and other glitches.

Wonder if Amazon is paying these contractors more money than eBay is giving them to repair the site to break it???

Then, when the stock tanks, they can pick up eBay at a bargain basement price.

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

by: IndyTom This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 18 18:49:02 2017

So, other than some wisecracks, nobody knows anything?  This man is asking a serious question.  I saw it yesterday where a set of pliers on EBay was $42,000.  I contacted the seller and they were shocked, and they fixed it.

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 18 20:08:07 2017

@IndyTom
"I saw it yesterday where a set of pliers on EBay was $42,000"

Maybe that was the US Gov't portal price....?!?

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Oct 19 02:21:15 2017

And maybe the seller made a typo.

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu Oct 19 13:07:32 2017

On Amazon, a seller has the OPTION to purchase an auto-repricing program from a vendor. The site does not adjust the prices for a 3P seller, the software purchased by the seller does the work.

Will eBay soon tell their sellers in the TOU that they reserve the right to set and change prices for merchandise, as well as the fact they can show (or hide) a seller's listings when THEY choose to???

Perhaps this is a 2016 Winter Seller Update preview. If they think they will be allowed to adjust prices without a sellers permission, this has to be illegal on so many levels. Of course, though, following the law and doing business ethically doesn't seem to be eBay's strong suit.....

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Oct 19 13:36:19 2017

@extinctbay

When and where did Ebay state they were going to be releasing a Winter Seller Update?  I know you said 2016 [which we didn't have a winter update in 2016], but I'm assuming you meant 2017.

I only speak for myself, but I have no fears and I'm not worrying about the possibility of Ebay starting to determine what we have to charge for any given item.  I really don't see this as a viable thing for me to spend my time being concerned, but I completely respect that you see it differently than I do.

Unless it is in a gated category with a specific mission by Ebay.  Meaning sellers would have to meet certain requirements to be able to sell in a specialize category.  But again, it wouldn't concern me as I wouldn't sell in a category that Ebay forced me to charge the price of their choosing.

Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?   Is eBay Doing Dynamic Pricing?

by: Bignfuzzy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 20 10:15:44 2017

There is repricing software for ebay.  I use PriceSpectre, and several of my competitors use it or something similar.  Probably the most likely explanation, if the seller was a large-ish seller.