Fri Jan 27 2017 22:36:54

Seeking Advice in Dealing with Local Post Office

By: Reader

I've become a loyal follower of EcommerceBytes in the months since I have been a subscriber, and am hoping that one or more readers might be able to provide assistance. As a seller on eBay, this particular issue isn't about eBay (believe it or not) but about mailing eBay packages.

I have had REPEATED run-ins with USPS regarding my local branch (missing packages, closing cases I've opened without reason - confirmed by national USPS, etc.

This has all been reported to national USPS, but since all reports/complaints have to go through the branch I'm reporting...nothing ever happens.

Do you, or any EcommerceBytes followers have any information on how to contact regional/district offices?

Thanks in advance,
Please don't use my email address or name.

Seeking Advice in Dealing with Local Post Office   Seeking Advice in Dealing with Local Post Office

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jan 27 23:08:10 2017

Here's the online complaint form to the office of the USPS Inspector General. Would this help?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Jan 27 23:19:17 2017

When you ship a Priority mail package, the office after your office on the tracking is usually a regional office or what they used to call a sectional center.

Your Postmasters boss is at this office.

That's the 1st step over your local Post Master & supervisor.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 28 10:46:09 2017

dealing with usps personnel is very frustrating. one will lie and the others will back up the lies. going higher up the chain is also very frustrating, as its pretty much the same, lies and more lies.

for missing packages, try filing a stolen mail report, that you suspect a usps employee is stealing.

good luck

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 28 11:29:55 2017

Good Luck trying to get the problem solved.

The Post Office has become an entity of elitist WE DON'T DO ANYTHING WRONG.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jan 28 12:54:24 2017

I had an issue with the USPS person that use to deliver mail to our home.  To say she was  different would be an understatement and she was often challenging to deal with.  Once she left me a note saying she would no longer pick up packages / carrier pick ups from my front porch.  I would need to leave them by my mail box or some other location of her choosing.  She said it was too dangerous during the  to walk to my front porch.

Well NO! She further stated due to the design of my porch she felt she might fall.  There was no reason I could think of for her to feel that way.  We have a very nice front porch with oversize and and extra deep concrete steps.  We had them structured that way so they were less dangerous in bad weather.  Plus they were textured.

Well there was no talking to her.  She felt she was risking body and limb when coming to our porch.  So I called my local postmaster which did me no good.  He just said that if the worker felt it was too dangerous he would not force her to walk up to my porch.  I then went to the USPS website and sent in a complaint.

Within a very reasonable amount of time, someone called me for more details.  They assured me that my concerns would be passed along in a way to get it resolved.

The next day I had my local postmaster calling me for an appointment.  He wanted to come to my home.  So we agree on the next day.  He came with a lady, also from the post office, and they looked things over.  They both agreed that there should never have been an issue to begin with.  And they assured me that things would go back to normal.  And they did.

If I were the OP, I'd keep complaining until someone actually listen to me and resolved the problems.  We have every right to expect good services since we are paying them for these services.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sun Jan 29 01:00:27 2017

I had an issue once many years ago about a front counter person who happened to be one of the many "supervisors" and I sent a complaint in from the web site. I got a call from them and then from my local postmaster and the next time I was in I sat down with her ( a very nice lady ) and the supervisor was not there any more. I have always been treated very well at my Post Office and they know me and I know them on a first name basis but I do live in a small town and it is a lot different then having to deal with the big city people.

by: kenhotlanta This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 00:34:56 2017

I had repeated problems with my packages not getting picked up plus the fact that the local PO never answered their phone. I made a complaint using the 1-800 number and in a couple of days got a call from my local postmaster. She profusely apologized and said it would never happen again and it didn't. My carrier said the problem was they didn't check or pickup the scheduled pickups every morning per procedure and the carriers didn't know there was a pickup. The situation was fixed once and for all immediately after my complaint.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 00:35:13 2017

Call  one  of  the neighboring  Towns  or  Villages  PO's  and  ask  them WHICH PO  is  the Regional Office.  Then contact  the Post  Master  there.

Trying  to  find  the "upstream"  sort  centers  is  possible BUT  they  seem to not  have phones that are  accessible  to the public.  Getting  an  actual  human  on the phone or better  yet  face to face  usually  will get  the job  done.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jan 30 00:53:12 2017

You want to speak to the Consumer Affairs *manager.*

by: chippers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 00:55:41 2017

Sue the Bastards and you will never have no more trouble with them!
The P O does not want to go to small claims court and they will be contacting you to resolve your complaint! c/m

This user has validated their user name. by: SparklingSisters

Mon Jan 30 01:08:40 2017

A few years ago I had a lot of problems with my local PO.  After many repeated complaints, I received a call from a rep at my local USPS Consumer Affairs dept.  She was great and helped me with my issue.  Since then, we have developed a great relationship and I contact her directly every time I have a late/missing package or problem with my local PO/sort facility or even just a general question.  She contacts whomever necessary and usually I don't have to deal with anyone but her.  If someone closes a complaint without a resolution, she opens it back up and demands action.  She escalates if necessary.  She doesn't always get the resolution I’m looking for but sometimes it's just not possible to get one from USPS.  But she does her best and doesn't let any issue just fall through the cracks.  Sometimes she gets busy and I have to follow-up with her but then she’s right back on the issue for me.

Look online and see if you can find out where your nearest Consumer Affairs dept is and contact a rep there.  Good luck!

by: handmedownheaven This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 01:12:02 2017

Luckily living in a small town, our post office still cares about quality

This user has validated their user name. by: Philo

Mon Jan 30 04:51:38 2017

remember that Seinfeld episode....its real.

I was missing a tracked gift card for $200.  After almost 30 days of being out for delivery and working with the seller I was getting no where.  I was having issues with my carrier with other things going missing too.  I drove to the next town to ask them what the procedure was about getting my lost mail and the mailman with stuff go missing.  I had an informal conversation with the girl there and she said I needed to go to my local office and figure it out.  The next day, the missing mail shows up with a note attached to it saying that he knew I was looking for it and should have approached him....extremely bizarre...The only thing I can figure is that the girl looked at my return address on on of my outgoing packages and reported it up then back down the chain to my office.   Mailman is gone and no issue with the new one.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 07:24:01 2017

Send your complaint thru the USPS website and then send a followup email to the Postmaster General whose name I forget but it's on the site as well.

If you send it thru the800 number or the USPS site it gets filtered down to the Postmaster at your office.  If you don't get a response, send another complaint.  keep doing it til they straight this out.

It's not up to us to "train" them, or monitor them.  But you have to kick the bucket a lot sometimes to get the local office to move. Took me 3 years.  But no problems for the last 7 years.

The other thing I did, in a different post office was take a pile of my PO receipts (and Paypal shipping receipts) total them and show that to the Postmaster.  Tell him/her directly that you're moving to UPS because of the nonsense and TRUST me.. I don't care if your receipts are only $1000, none of them want to lose your business cause it affects their # of employees, and their budget drastically.

Make a racket and they'll learn to snap too and take care of things for you.

by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 08:10:22 2017

I would follow the advice posted in this thread and DOCUMENT EACH THING I TRIED.

If the situation didn't improve substantially, I'd contact my senators and representative.  They have staffs both in Washington and in their districts to address just this kind of issue.

I worked for the Social Security Administration for 30 years and know that they do look into their constituents' problems and that documentation is very helpful in getting a fast resolution.

Don't forget that there is a strong postal union.  Managers are bound by contract rules.  That's no doubt why some of the things in this thread happened as they did.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Jan 30 09:44:57 2017

@FeelingFroggy: "The Post Office has become an entity of elitist WE DON'T DO ANYTHING WRONG."

Already operating like a business!  As they say, be careful what you wish for...

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 11:07:52 2017

Don't complain about USPS to USPS.  I've done it many times, and they simply don't care.  If you have a solid case against them, contact as many government representatives as you can.  Make sure to keep all documentation (both digital and physical) to forward to these offices.  Unfortunately, the fact is, most of these offices don't care either, but if you contact enough of them, you might find one that does.  Which people/offices apply to you differs based on where you live, so I can't recommend a specific person/office.  I have had a lot of success with my Congressional Representative, Brendan Boyle.  I have heard of some people having luck with their Senators.  Also, each state has an office of insurance commissioners.  If your issue is about insurance claims being denied, you can contact them.  I would recommend contacting the one in your state, and also the state(s) that your packages were shipped to.  I had no luck with insurance commissioners, but I have heard that some people have.  I think it depends on the state in question whether they are willing to help with that kind of issue.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 15:22:34 2017

@ Marie, LOL I had the same problem but in reverse - during one winter on at least one stormy day, instead of leaving mail in the mailbox, carrier made her way to a set of concrete steps we never use - frozen/unshoveled/icy - crawled up them and left a pile of mail at the door we do not use in winter, on our roofed but otherwise OPEN side porch! We found out by accident days? later and who knew how much blew away or what!?!

I live on a rural route and have had run-ins with carriers about leaving packages safely.
One carrier used to just dump them on the roadside at the mailbox. I filed formal complaints with the Regional facility and got orders issued to not do this (guess what, they kept on).

I finally gave up and got a PO Box at a different post office - OP maybe this might be a consideration?

Also an important consideration is I did not want any ''enemies'' who had access to my mail - who knows what they would do - ''lose'' it for one thing! It is not a good idea to make an enemy of anyone who is in a position that they can harm you. Better to switch than fight!

So, with the PO at another post office I no longer have to worry about sabotage. This happened sometime ago, so perhaps the current staff are OK but I don't have to deal with anyone there any more.

I no longer want mail delivered to my home - my PO Box post office is SO much nicer to work with! Helpful, pleasant people. Also, the PO box gives me a GREAT layer of security. People who assume I have a physical ''store'' can't just ''drop by'' (and find out I do not). If I want to go away, no more forgetting to stop mail delivery.

by: Postalwizard This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 30 16:54:34 2017

I suggest getting involved in your local PCC (Postal Customer Council) Service Reps and most Managers attend these.  Get to know all the folks who manage operations at the district level.  Then it is easy to bring up challenges or concerns and these folks will help you get it resolved