Thu Jan 26 2017 16:20:32

Top Spot in Vintage Is eBay Australia's to Lose

By: Reader

I have a problem: eBay offer "Promoted Listings" in Australia - the details can be found at sellercentre.ebay.com.au

The promotion is that you can have your nominated listings appear as a "sponsored" listings on eBay pages appearing to the buyer. You nominate what % final value fee you want to pay for these sponsored links, and you pay the extra % nominated FVF only when the item sells.

I sell secondhand, antiques and vintage and collectibles. Today, I thought I would bite the bullet and try the promoted listings. However, as I began the process of the promoted listings I found that it appears that only the few brand new items that I have listed came up as being available to promote. 99% of my listed items aren't available to promote.

I scanned through all the conditions and terms of service, and, unless I am blind, cannot see that anywhere is stated that the promotion is for brand new items only. There isn't even anywhere to ask, you just get re directed to the terms and conditions.

The other reason, I thought that I may not be able to avail myself of the promotion on 99% of my items is because the promotion is for multi quantity items, which my few new items that came up, are. However, another seller has told me that they have been able to promote single quantity items, but brand new. If the promotion is linked to multi quantity, then yes, that would automatically exclude the majority of secondhand and vintage and antique items etc.

The message to eBay sellers and buyers in Australia appears to be very, very clear. eBay do not want to deal in secondhand, antique, vintage or collectible, unless, of course, it is brand new.

eBay do not want promoted "sponsored" listings to appear on any buyer page to entice buyers to buy secondhand - eBay are driving brand new sales only.

Add to this the clear message that has come with the rise of an auction listing fee to $3.00 from the 14th Feb for store holders, and the message is crystal clear.

eBay has the marketshare in Australia for secondhand and auction. It is beyond me why any company would deliberately throw away pole position, as eBay AU is doing.

I can only hope that when Amazon come to Australia, that they diversify a part of their platform for antique, vintage and collectible. Our only other saviour here in Australia for sellers like me may be Facebook, who are increasingly rolling out a sales platform.
Concerned Seller

Top Spot in Vintage Is eBay Australia's to Lose   Top Spot in Vintage Is eBay Australia's to Lose

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Jan 26 18:20:33 2017

Selling the same as you here in the US. We had the same promotion here and I think the UK did too. Yes it seems eBay is on a quest to rid the eBay world of vintage, antiques, secondhand and collectibles and oh, their ''monkey on eBay's back'' auctions.

Back in June their focus was on unique but not the unique definition most of us think of but it seems to be redefined to mean unique in terms of commodity. That's right, flooding the market with multiples of unique commodities. Doesn't make sense you say? This is the eBay way.

Sorry Australia is being subjected to this, IMO, ''upside-down limited growth mentality''. Unfortunately Amazon mainly sells items that are current and name brand with used items generally found in books, DVDs, and other media categories.

Other selling sites will, I am sure, arise there once eBay's embargo on used and auctions take hold.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 26 19:51:35 2017

R E L A X , You are fretting over exactly NOTHING.  Promoted Sales System thru eBay here is USA is the sort of thing that is somewhere between PIFFLE and the SKIN on the ONION of actual completed sales.  I tried it when it was first offered to me over a year ago. Relatively Painless as to the COST of the few... I do mean FEW sales was additionally offset as MORE of the promoted items DID SELL during the promotion time, BUT the buyers did NOT click thru the "eBay Generated Promotion Mini-Listing". Win-Win.... but few and far between.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 27 11:18:20 2017

Original poster stated that there was an eBay message raising auction listings to $3.00 (for store owners).  Where is that message?

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Jan 27 15:11:04 2017

@smallstuff

Here is eBay's announcement:

Also
Ina's blog Jan 10, 2017
Ebay Assault on Auctions Continues

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 27 18:05:40 2017

Looks like that charge is for Australia only.  US Basic stores get 250 free auctions in collectible and fashion categories.  25 cents each otherwise.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jan 27 18:34:37 2017

I don't see this as an 'assault' on vintage & antique items as some might.  It may feel that way, but there are many other sellers out there in different categories that feel they are under fire as well.  And in my opinion more than other categories.

At least vintage & collectible sellers get an additional 500 auction style listings for free a Premium store, 250 with a basic store and 1,000 with an Anchor store.

There are a whole lot of sellers out there that sell in other categories [I am one of them] that get ZERO free auctions no matter what store level we have.

by: papertrail This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 31 18:48:43 2017

COLLECTIBLES - it would appear that not all sellers are aware that the majority of vintage and antique items do not fall into the collectible categories and therefore are not free to list. An antique book does not fall into the collectible category, neither does a vintage lace doily. Just because an item is vintage or antique does not mean it is a collectible in Ebay's eyes. Ebay's collectible field for actual antique and vintage items is very narrow.