Sun Jan 15 2017 16:20:14

eBay Not Forthcoming on Returns Resolution Program

By: Reader

A while back eBay sent me an email telling me I was part of their new Return Resolution Pilot Program and touted how this was going to improve the returns program for sellers, especially with scammers.

I'm a member of several forums and other sellers are part of that program. Several of them have had the need to contact them and use the program, but eBay Customer Service keeps telling them they've never heard of the program and it's not working to help sellers at all.

Have you heard of the program and do you know how to use it?
Thank you for any help.
D.

eBay Not Forthcoming on Returns Resolution Program   eBay Not Forthcoming on Returns Resolution Program

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jan 15 17:43:10 2017

The program supposedly started in November 2015, and then eBay advertised for sellers to join in January 2016. Beyond that, I don't recall reading anything regarding the cessation of buyers' scams thanks to the program.

And why am I not surprised that CSRs don't know anything about it?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 15 17:44:50 2017

Just more ebay forked tongue snake speak.

Even they don't know what they are saying half the time.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 15 18:33:00 2017

I was invited in and then POOF - like "Seller Protection" that came before it - it was gone.

The "special CS people" never materialized and the only contact (way back) was how eBay was the best in the world with returns since they were going to grant me a special power to decide how much of a refund I was going to give their snowflake.

No protection of course - but thats how eBay works.

Its all smoke n mirrors.

eBay:

Step 1: recruit sellers
Step 2: ??
Step 3: profit

(and yes I cribbed it from Southpark - underpants gnomes episode with Tweek)

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 15 22:56:26 2017

Ebay's idea of a 'New Return Resolution Process', based on past innovations, probably works like this:

1. Buyer complains
2. Refund is instantly removed from your bank account
without any possible recourse by seller

Imagine all the time and energy this will save us, clicking on useless resolution center radio buttons.

Ebay's new motto: our streamlined return process saves sellers time AND money!

by: etailer This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 16 00:25:52 2017

It is coming......much like what Amazon has done.

eBay mimics Amazon's moves like a monkey - learn more about it here:
=316251

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 16 02:48:40 2017

Pace is correct.  It was here a few months ago and now it seems to have disappeared without notice or comment from Ebay.

Here is some added information on this subject that was posted here.

I
have no idea what the status of this program is or why it has appeared to have disappeared.

by: Go tell the Spartans This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 16 03:00:31 2017

The best solution is to build your own web store. Takes a lot of work, but in the end, all this nonsense goes away. With the right cart, you would spend about as much time as you would loading items on eBay - a lot less headaches and NO BS. We just had our 2nd anniversary and our carts sales out pace eBay 5 to 1. In the next phase we will start reducing the items on eBay, add them to our store cheaper than at eBay and then email the customers using eBay to encourage them to move - even give them enticements to move over.

by: Jim S. This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 16 09:08:34 2017

I have been on the eBay Returns Resolution Pilot Program for a while. It's better, as it allows for partial refunds and disallowing refunding of postage. But it's not perfect because it still won't allow you to initiate the return. IMO Amazon's is still the easiest for managing returns (but they charge that extra nuisance fee on return amounts).

by: pebbles This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 16 10:45:10 2017

I've seen the options to withhold the shipping cost 2x. The only other new option I've seen is giving an immediate offer for partial refund, which by the way, if the buyer declines gives the buyer the option to immediately escalate the return case. This resulted in an unresolved case ding against my store because I requested the buyer return the item. Complete bs. Buyer didn't have to return the item and got full refund within 2 days of opening the return. Yet another fine example of eBay allowing buyers to steal from sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 16 12:22:46 2017

@pebbles

What you describe is why I've always recommended when you are dealing with a request for return, only check the box for emailing your buyer.  I continue to communicate via email inside the request until we come to an understanding.  Once we have reach that and only then will I check one of the other boxes that represents the agreement we have come to.  By doing this I rarely experience a claim that gets escalated.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jan 16 12:25:39 2017

I was invited into the program but saw no reason to join.

I DON'T HAVE RETURNS

so it was pointless

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 16 20:01:11 2017

Well Tool, once you smoked the 420 - theres nothing to return.

As well, people who buy used airplane grade impact hammers generally dont return them.

Try selling something abit more common before you "explain to us all" how your "situation" is "OBVIOUSLY" the hallmark for the REST OF US.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 17 07:18:12 2017

A tiny bit off topic, but does anyone experience a slow down in sales after a return, even if the return is a smooth one and there are no complications during the process.

Perhaps it is purely coincidence, but I see this every time I accept a return.  I also recently had a customer state that they did not order an item that was ordered "by them" on eBay, and they immediately filed a fraud case with PayPal.  Sales on that eBay site stopped immediately and I haven't had a sale since, even though I worked with the customer and PayPal to resolve the issue.  eBay and PayPal are supposed to operate separately, but I'm not buying it.  I still think that they are joined at the hip in some ways.

Do returns cause sales to slow down?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 17 09:47:04 2017

Rex :)

Complaints on the forums about how bad eBay is, complaints here, arguments about eBay policy with cs agents, returns etc all cause you to "accidentally on purpose" get "ignored" sales wise.

Its what petty people do to get even.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 17 09:54:01 2017

pace306, as much as it sounds like conspiracy theory, I do think that you are correct.  I know that we all deal with patterns in our lives, but this pattern is too consistent not to be true.

No wonder so many people continue to leave eBay, and moreover, refuse to buy on eBay.

by: bpm This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 17 13:52:56 2017

Rexford - yes, a return hammers my sales for a short but noticeable while. I'm sure there is a special algorithm designed especially for this purpose, because, why not? It is Ebay after all.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 17 15:35:09 2017

bpm, eBay love a lashing. Thank you for your comment.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 17 16:49:20 2017

Rex :)

While I can document MANY eBay illegalities, wrongdoings and other eBay anomolies .... this one I cant ..... its just (as you said) a pattern that seems to repeat itself over and over.

While that is not concrete in and of itself - the fact that it happens "all the time" is telling.

Each time I get warned by a Lithium mod about how I shouldnt call JD the "head of the eBay/Paypal crime family" and list the comparisons between eBay and the Sopranos .... the little door next to my name changes from Blue (has had active sales in the last 24 hrs) to Red (no active sales) ... I wonder why.

The "doors issue" (GD rest jim morrisons soul) is of course not documented either - but again this is eBay, and if you read the forums, theres alot of "double secret probation stuff" "they cant tell us for fear of something ...) (just ask Trinton).

Another day, another eBay lie/falsehood/anomaly/drime etc.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 17 20:45:36 2017

Rexford,

Yes I have noticed a slight decrease in sales activity when I receive a return request. Once I respond to accept the return, things seem to go back to normal. Until the item is delivered. Then sales drop again until the refund is issued. God forbid there is a problem with the return, then it becomes do I refund to save the sales, or dig in and take the hit. There is no winning selling on Ebay. They gently tighten the screws to get their way every time. I have a case pending now. Buyer claims he didn't receive his item, even though the post office delivered it. Not one response from the buyer since he opened it a week ago. Four notes later and I am very much afraid to ask Ebay for help. My sales have been down all week. Selling on Ebay is like dealing with the IRS. Guilty until proven innocent. And even innocence won't mean anything if Ebay can benefit otherwise.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jan 18 07:10:55 2017

So while none of us can prove that eBay stifles sales if we take a return, many of us have the same experience--low sales or no sales after we take one. I haven't had an instance where it didn't happen. This would constitute manipulation by eBay to damage our businesses. One needs business to continue as usual to keep one's metrics up.

This company is truly despicable.