Wed Sept 28 2016 21:39:30

eBay Seller Has Problem Using Turbo Lister with Windows XP

By: Reader

I know in June eBay has decided to end Turbo User. I decision I wish they would reconsider, especially with no program to replace it in place and no answers when it could be ready (but that is a whole other argument for now).

OK, I got some time to pick a 3rd party site and try and move my 10,000+ items I keep in Turbo Lister. But now, it seems you can't use TL with Windows XP, items will not upload any more. Really eBay, right before the Holiday season? With absolutely no announcement, explanation or workaround from eBay, just the sound of crickets.

Some may argue the use of XP, maybe they have valid points as to upgrading, but there seems to be a lot of people still using XP and can't list either. So instead of getting ready for holiday sales, the effort goes into how to be able to make listings and list them.

I swear my head feels like it's spinning sometimes dealing with all this. eBay is like a 4 year old child with a ball of Play-dough, always trying to make that perfect shape, but always mashing it and changing it and never happy.

PLEASE keep Turbo Lister eBay, I'm willing to upgrade my computer if XP will not cut it anymore, or even pay to still use it!!!
M.

eBay Seller Has Problem Using Turbo Lister with Wi   eBay Seller Has Problem Using Turbo Lister with Wi

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 28 22:43:02 2016

Nothing wrong with using XP at all. Some of us just don't want to learn a new system that is worst than the ones we have.

We currently use windows 7. If you go to your local computer store they will tell you that you can only buy a computer with windows . We have no desire to upgrade to 10. For those of you who are interested you can buy new computers with windows 7 as we just purchased four of them from Toshiba online. Prices are comparable to any of the other windows and we don't have to learn a new system as we already know it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 29 02:33:54 2016

I don't think you can blame this on Ebay.  Microsoft is no longer supporting XP.  You may consider updating your computer.

We have quite a bit of time before Ebay closes down TL.  They stated it would be late NEXT summer when they close it.  So there is no rush to find another provider at this time.

Per Ebay's announcement on this subject, you can do everything in the new Seller's Hub.  I personally have not tried it nor have I switched over to it as so many are still complaining about it.  So I have no first hand knowledge of how it works or anything.

by: Bignfuzzy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 29 08:58:26 2016

If you have 10,000 items, buy a refurb HP or Dell from woot.com for $400 , then switch to Sixbit.  All the features of Turbo Lister and more.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Sep 29 11:27:13 2016

Marie, don't be so quick to blame XP here.  This is clearly the consequence of slipshod development/infrastructure work on the server side that, as usual, was neither tested nor communicated to any affected parties.

by: drew This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 29 23:33:23 2016

It would be really cool to see an Operating System that looks like XP and is just totally devoted to eBay selling and VERY easy to use. Start button format and no extra junk. Something that is not resource hungry but just had the necessary tools like Word, Excel, a day planner, a calendar program,  and a good Firefox browser. Maybe a dumb idea but just a thought. :)

by: drew This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 30 01:02:07 2016

I was meaning an updated LTS linux operating system that looked like windows XP

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 30 02:58:18 2016

Microsoft does not support Windows 10 all that well either. I bought an $1100 HP laptop with a lot of software. Two times Microsoft stripped my computer of its index and most of my programs including the ability to connect to internet with their constant updates. Once more, and for the third time, they have stripped the computer of its index and half my programs. All three times my desktop icons have been shrunk to icon range the size of a phone screen. Microsoft's answer to the problem is to reset the computer again for the fourth time. The same answer they gave the first two times. I have put the computer on airplane mode so Microsoft cannot get to it anymore, and use it to play solitaire. I am not buying any more computers till someone comes out with one that actually works and Microsoft cannot corrupt. In the meantime I am using my ten year old Windows Vista instead of my state of the art laptop, but as we know those days are limited as well.
I am hoping that one day Microsoft's programmers that have put themselves on a cloud and holler, "Look how great we are!" have to face the Trade Commission and explain why they removed programs that folks paid for, and deliberately corrupted Windows 10 computers.

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 30 10:48:12 2016

Tiffee Jasso;

I'll echo that.  We live in terror of an evil Windows 10 update.  However, we've learnt that when we get the dreaded phone app screen and/or the dreaded completely black screen, we just turn off and reboot.  Sometimes have to do it 4 times, but eventually the spark catches and the cylinders fire!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 30 12:51:09 2016

@tiffee

It isn't that Microsoft is not supporting XP "well", they are no longer supporting it at all.  They announced that a long time ago.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Fri Sep 30 14:52:50 2016

It's _not_ a problem with XP.  eBay simply screwed up something with how it responds to TurboLister.  Imagine if your supermarket just stopped accepting $5 bills one day and never told you.  That's what's happening here.  TL, on XP, is sending the same data it always has and eBay is silently bouncing it back.

People seem to be really confused about what the actual danger of running an unsupported OS is so I'll list them below:

1.  They stop patching everything including security.  That means a hole that somebody finds today never gets closed and keeps working (unless you do something yourself).

2.  Hardware manufacturers stop writing or updating drivers.  This is very similar to above, plus you may not be able to find replacements for parts that physically wear out.

That's really it.  There's no Sandmen sneaking in through the parallel port to wreck up the place just because it turned 30.

by: Idon'tcareanymore. This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 30 22:07:32 2016

Same problem here. Windows XP and TL can not connect to eBay.
After I asked to be transferred to the TL customer service department (it exists and they open at 1PM ...) I was told that last week they had a "major" update and TL will never again work on XP. What I did is I connected my Windows 7 laptop to the monitors and other peripherals, installed TL, backed up the database to an USB stick and restored it to the new computer so at least I have my old listings to use as templates.
Back to work as normal. As much as I don't like letting my old trustworthy XP computer go times are moving I guess. If we don't move we'll be left behind : )