Sun Sept 25 2016 11:19:45

eBay Sends Misleading Price Notifications

By: Reader

I've had a weird thing happen twice in the past week. When creating new listings, I always click "sell similar". Well, twice now I've gotten an e-mail from eBay the day after a new item has been listed. The e-mail states, "Price lowered on (name of item)". The contents of the e-mail will then state the discount "for a limited time".

The problem is, these are new listings and the price has NEVER been lowered. eBay's system seems to be taking the price of the previous item and applying it, at least in terms of the "sale" to the new item.

For instance, I had an item that was listed at $39.99. I used that item to click the "sell similar" and created a new listing with a price of $11.99. This morning I get an e-mail from eBay, "Price lowered on (Title of NEWLY listed item)". The e-mail shows the original price as $39.99 with a "limited time" price of $11.99.

With the exception of the price actually being $11.99, the rest of the e-mail is blatantly false. The price was never $39.99 AND the current price of $11.99 is NOT temporary!

Why I'm getting these e-mails on my own listings, I don't know. But, if others are also getting these or similar e-mails, it's of huge concern as it's blatantly false advertising.
Kathy

eBay Sends Misleading Price Notifications   eBay Sends Misleading Price Notifications

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 25 12:56:37 2016

Kathy

Can your or would you post exactly what the email says. Certainly delete or black out any identifying info, I certainly don't expect you to do that.  But it would help if we could see their exact words minus listing number or your ID.

by: sr This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 01:01:29 2016

"SAVEĀ $370.00 for a limited time.

You viewed this at $495.00. It was just discounted to $125.00."

WTF!

This is my first time posting here.

I can verify that this has been happening to our newly created listings this week.

We primarily sell antiques, and because we have such a large inventory of items that have not been listed, we tend to do large batches of listings within a specific eBay category over the period of a few days.

This week i listed nothing but antique and vintage religous items that we purchased in Europe. So I made the first listing for one item which was $495.00. I then use "sell similar" and use the first listing as a template. So I did this for 30 plus listings.

Today I get an email from another one of my accounts for about 5 items that I listed on the antiques account. One of the items was the last item that I listed on Friday for $125.00 obo. But because I have been using the "sell similar" feature of the very first item that was priced $495.00.

Above is what ebay said in its marketing email. I listed this item at $125.00 obo on Friday.  It has never been priced at $495.00, it is a brand new listing for us, they all were.

But every item that I listed that was below the first listings price of $495.00 generated one of these SUPER SALE emails.

I generally do not treat people, and especially potential buyers like their idiots and assholes, but eBay sure is doing their best on my behalf.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Sep 26 05:53:57 2016

By using sell similar this way, your $495 item will probably never sell unless you keep lowering the price after many relists. I may be wrong on this and I hope I am wrong but this is how items get devalued on eBay's race to the bottom. In essence by doing the sell similar you are competing against yourself. Seems this is set up this way as part of eBay's pi$$ poor algorithm. If items don't sell the first time along with number of impressions, relistings keep dropping your items further down the search abyss.

For years I was hearing it was better to do sell similar than relists and then I was hearing the key to getting buyers and better placement was to create all new listings from scratch.

I wouldn't do a sell similar unless the items are similar and close to the first listing price. I remember getting emails the last couple years on other sellers items stating the item was ____ and is now zero. It was all a desperate eBay ruse.

Again I hope I am wrong but it does seem like this is part of eBay's algorithm.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 10:46:29 2016

> By using sell similar this way, your $495 item will
> probably never sell unless you keep lowering the price
> after many relists. [...] In essence by doing the sell
> similar you are competing against yourself. Seems this
> is set up this way as part of eBay's pi$$ poor algorithm.
> If items don't sell the first time along with number
> of impressions, relistings keep dropping your items
> further down the search abyss.

No, you're conflating a Relist with a Sell Similar. The two are not the same, and follow different algorithms.

The difference begins right at the outset, where selecting Relist vs. Sell Similar will pass back different command-line arguments via the browser, and invoke a different process at the eBay end, along with different notifications going out to watchers of the original listing.

What seems to have happened in this case is that some coding knucklehead at eBay has released a Sell Similar revision without proper testing or peer review, accidentally including a new notification feature that might make sense in a Relist, but not in a Sell Similar, and this sort of Unforeseen Circumstance is what results.

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 11:41:41 2016

@Marie

*sr* hit it on the nose with the wording of the e-mails.

It took my getting a 2nd *price lowered* e-mail to figure out that this problem was related to my using the *sell similar* function.

Like sr, I do not deliberately attempt to mislead people, especially my buyers and I am NOT happy that eBay has taken it upon themselves to do so for me.

Whether it's a mistake or intentional on eBay's part, it makes ME, the seller, look bad!

by: dasw This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 12:17:22 2016

Yes, I am getting these emails too on any items I revise and lower my price on....it's not even a new ''sell similar'' listing. When i go to the listing the lowered price is permanent even though the email says it is for a limited time. One more piece of nonsense.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Sep 26 12:34:25 2016

Yep, just got one this morning and was scratching my head about it. eBay certainly is a chaotic programming environment. But I was using Western Union the other day and it is also pretty bad. The standard 'offshore programming' model is a failure in my book, just waiting to collapse under the weight of its own error messages.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 26 16:32:20 2016

"Sell Similar" and "Relist" are two distinctly different things on Ebay.  It is important to understand the little differences that can impact how a listing is seen.

A "sell similar" is seen as a completely new listing.

A "relist" is seen as an older listing that closed [for whatever reason] and is getting actively listed again.  With a "relist", the views and items sold [although you don't see it on the list] follows the new "relisted" listing.

So each seller needs to decide what is best for the listing.  Do you want it to be considered a new listing or did you want the sales history and/or view follow the new listing.

About the only reason to actually do a "relist" on a listing anymore is if it was a hot seller for you and you just ran out of stock.  When you get more inventory in, "relist" the item and it will help you in the rankings as long as it didn't have an excessive amount of views per item sold.

So most times a "sell similar" is actually the best choice of the two option.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 26 17:27:48 2016

I forgot to mention there is one more thing that can make "relisting" an item important.  If there were watchers on the original listing, when you "relist" an item they get notified that the item has been relisted.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 26 17:28:10 2016

Yep! I had to fix several of my items for the same reason. I quit using similar and now go to new item.