Tue Sept 20 2016 11:41:07

eBay User Needs Help with Browser Issue

By: Reader

You seem to be able to get results far better than I, a small eBay seller. Yesterday in the midst of a browsing session on the bay, my address bar suddenly changed from the green lock (secure & private connection) to NOT private. I called and of course got the run around - he wasn't a tech support guy, try another browser, etc.

I tried both Internet and Firefox (I use Chrome) and all showed the connection was not private. I tested numerous other sites I visit with regularity and all showed me the green lock meaning secure/private. So to me this appears to be an eBay problem. I have done all the things suggested on the net to troubleshoot to no avail.

Thus I conclude it is eBay's tech problem. PayPal is showing a private session but am still leery of purchasing on the bay. Can you investigate?
Thanks,
Willie

eBay User Needs Help with Browser Issue   eBay User Needs Help with Browser Issue

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 18:02:28 2016

we see the same thing as reported.  we are NOT a small, but large seller - even looking at our account data - NOT https: secured!  Maybe that is why we are getting so many Captcha requests that we never got before - this is NOT a good situation.  It will go from one screen to the next, from secure to NOT secure while we are in our own accounts data.  hmmmmm

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Sep 21 02:13:20 2016

I just checked and eBay is showing but it says that it is not secure. This is horrible and it seems like eBay has been hacked again!
The sign-in is secure but when you get to SM it has no security. Definitely another hack.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Sep 21 11:10:43 2016

Okay here is what is happening on eBay:
Site is not secure

Same thing in IE

This happening on eBay BUT it is happening on other sites also. The page I am on now writing this reply is showing:

16/9/1474386067.html
Site
is not secure

All of Google is secure but many sites around the internet are not. This is a systemic problem that is happening all over.

Is all of the internet being hacked?

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Wed Sep 21 11:50:40 2016

Okay just checked PayPal and that is all secure. Something weird is going on and I do not know what it exactly is.

by: queenfloraday This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 21 19:58:20 2016

Same problem here. Ran Malware removal but did not solve the problem. My firewall and anti-virus say I'm secure. This site shows it is not secure. Any help would be appreciated.

This user has validated their user name. by: MJRock

Thu Sep 22 00:22:29 2016

Same here, been happening to us for at least the last 7 days . . . .

Also on the tracking page, adding a tracking number used to take you back to "Need to Ship" page, now adding the tracking takes you all the way back to My eBay page . . . adding tracking to orders now takes FOREVER . . . get it together eBay!

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Sep 22 01:10:29 2016

I don't understand why this has not been accelerated as a definite problem. I am signed in right now as I write this and this page is not secure. It is the same thing on eBay and many people do not have the proper firewall and malware removal software and they have the potential of getting hacked. To a good hacker the front door is wide open.
When ever you have to sign into a web presence the site should be secure from that point on until you sign out.
As I said as I am writing this the page is not secure even though I am signed in but I am not that worried since I have 5 different levels of protection built in and I have had that for years because of my knowledge of the internet and the hazards that are out there but many people have no clue. A normal person who is a user of the internet who does not have the protection or the skills do know that if the sight is not secure they will flock away like a bunch of Canadian geese running south in the late fall before the snow comes in.

All I know is that for myself my eBay sales have been dropping to next to nothing in the last week and even the views are way way down. eBay is killing themselves by not taking care of this becasue they are scarring off the buyers because the browser is saying it is not a secure site.
You have a bunch of real idiots out in San Jose.

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 06:43:16 2016

This is not just an ebay problem. Several sites that I visit are not secure but some are secure like Amazon right now is for me https.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 06:43:47 2016

I think there would be a couple of (not too good) reasons for this:
1. sever overhead - encryption costs processors so eBay woud prefer to use it a bit sparingly.
2. Image hosting - it would be easier to serve 3rd party hosted imagery via http rather than https.
There are probably other reasons but these two spring to mind.
ebay is just being a bit of a cheapskate.

by: Runs.With.Scissors This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 09:01:31 2016

It (unsecure ebay flags) has been happening to me for the past couple of weeks. Coincidentally(?), my ebay sales are suddenly way down, while my Amazon sales are up dramatically vs the same period of time.

Could it be that ebay buyers are going to Amazon because of ebay being flagged as unsecure?

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 10:02:09 2016

same thing here with me, I restarted my computer and it appeared to go away.