Mon Sept 19 2016 17:10:41

eBay Seller Unable to Opt Out of New Listing Tool

By: Reader

I'm hoping readers can help me figure out an eBay listing problem. I sell individual items and use the regular auction listing formats, none of the bulk uploading or other similar volume seller tools.

I went to list an item recently (using the "SELL SIMILAR ITEM" function - which I do a lot) and despite having created the original listing with the old form, the SELL SIMILAR response brought up the new form that is unworkable for me.

There is a message at the top that says, "It looks like you're using some of our advanced options. That's great. If you don't need to make any changes related to these options, you can continue listing with the quick listing tool. If you need to make changes to these options, go to our mobile app."

What in heck do I do? This is completely out of the blue. I never did anything that I know of to change to the "quick listing tool" so why does eBay think I am "continuing" with it???

I looked everywhere I knew in Seller Preferences and could not find anywhere that would let me choose the classic form or the new quick listing tool. IS THERE A SETTING I MISSED?

I do not even own a mobile device, I just want to continue listing with the long form. I do not want to use the "quick listing tool" at all!! I was and still am completely unable to figure out how to get out of this form and back to the old reliable that included all the listing options and blanks to fill in.

In desperation I phoned eBay and the CS rep gave me instructions to "Opt Out." Which worked for the items I listed last week. I am now back (I HOPE) using the old form and not the mobile one and it usually seems to work for my "Sell Similar".

HOWEVER, when I try to use some of the other listing related functions such as REVISE ITEM (for example) the form that appears is the new quick listing tool!! Wouldn't you think that OPT OUT means OPT OUT ??? but apparently it does not.

Can anyone help me learn how to get back to the classic old full fill in the blanks form? There is information I want to include in my listings that this new abbreviated version will not let me input.

Thank you in advance!!
Jane

eBay Seller Unable to Opt Out of New Listing Tool   eBay Seller Unable to Opt Out of New Listing Tool

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 19 17:49:15 2016

Maybe these links can help.

/1458102417.html

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 19 18:20:17 2016

@ Marie - thank you, I had hoped you might have some good introspective thoughts.

The second link is useless as it only explains the tool and why some sellers may find it helpful - not how to get out of it.

I somehow missed the eCommercebytes discussion (the first link)- I'm sure it must have run before I realized I would need to know more about this. I never opted in. ''They'' forced it on me.

The really nasty part is that any of the sub-categories I try to use (''sell similar'' etc) go right back into the quick tool, even with an Opt Out and the classic form used on the listing, for which I want to sell another similar one.

It is infuriating that the ebay robots just keep changing things that work well. It seems to be a given - if it works, it won't last. I imagine maybe it's just another way to discourage us small volume sellers.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 19 18:31:48 2016

Indeed this listing tool is part of ''Seller Hub.''

I went there to check http://www.ebay.com/sh/landing and it is giving me links to Opt In - I'm signed in, so it appears I am not opted into Seller Hub.

But they changed the listing tool on me anyway - !!

I am wondering if I should opt in and then attempt to get out and go back to my ''old selling tool'' (MyEbay). But I'm really afraid to do that for fear I will never get back out !!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 19 18:34:20 2016

Sorry.  I forgot to mention, I don't think you can get out of it.  They have been testing this for quite a few months now and have been phasing it in without warning.

I've been using the new version of the listing tool for a long time now.  I hated it at first.  I am now use to it.  In some respects it is better and others it is not.

With your specific problem, I think what is most curious is why it says anything about Mobile apps when you say you are not using a Mobile app.

I'll go see if I can test a few things for you.  I have another account that is small and I haven't used it for awhile.  Let me go play there for a bit and I'll come back to tell you what I find.  ............Now what the heck was the password to that account?????  That could be the problem.  LOL

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 19 18:46:42 2016

Marie you are really wonderful, how generous of you to do this!

NO, I have nothing to do with anything mobile. I don't even own a smart phone and have disabled the text function on the flip cell phone I do use. All of my ebay work is on a PC that sits on my office desk.

I did call eBay the first time and CS did opt me out. I should have written down how she did it.

I read some of the forum info and supposedly there is a thing to click at upper right when first beginning and using the SELL ITEM form. I almost never have used that, I prefer to just ''sell similar'' as there is a lot I don't want to have to duplicate. A brand new listing means I would have to start over each time, I would rather just tweak my descriptions.

My major annoyance is that when I try to SELL SIMILAR the new thing comes up (even when I used the old form to create the listing) and I cannot add things I want - such as another ''Item Specific'' for example.

Jane

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 19 18:51:03 2016

Indeed, the instruction across the page acts like it is assuming I am using a Mobile App.

Is there some way to check what Apps (if any) I am using ??? I have no clue how to handle them.

If eBay opted me into a Mobile App then surely that is likely where the problem began?

I did change to Win10 before the deadline to get it free; but I do not use apps there either. They appear to work like glorified favorites/bookmarks? I got rid of most of them that came pre-loaded in Win10.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 19 18:52:05 2016

My kids made me get a Smart Phone.  The damn thing out wits me all the time.  Unfortunately it is smarter than I am, I don't like it.  LOL

It appears I won't be able to assist you.  On my little account I just don't see anything out of place.

I don't think you have a choice but to call Ebay.  Find out why your listing screen is saying anything about a Mobile app.  That seems to me to be your biggest issue.

Hopefully someone else will come along that can assist you.  Sorry I can't help on this one.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Sep 19 18:54:00 2016

I get the old form by pulling a SOLD item and on that page I click on "sell a similar item", I get the new form if I do this from "my ebay" sold item page.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 19 19:02:14 2016

You really went way beyond the call of duty - I am truly grateful.  THANK YOU.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Sep 20 01:35:56 2016

One annoying feature with the new form is that it opens new tabs when you do a sell similar and then have to revise your listing. Every 5-6 months I 'sell similar' stale listings changing a few item specifics and the price so the listings will generate as 'new.' When the listing is revised a new tab pops up. It is a never ending succession of close, close, close. I've been calling custserv and asking them to manually revert back to the old form.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 10:15:12 2016

@ toolguy -

I just tried this and keeping fingers crossed it WORKS - and just as important, if I try to ''Revise item'' it stays with the old form!!

Thank you SO MUCH for the suggestion - I had not gotten to trying using a ''Sold'' item, having had it fail with other completed listings.

I would not mind the new thing so much if it would LET me make the kinds of additions I always have been able to do, with the old form. But the new form will not allow me to do that.

I realize that probably everyone will be forced into using this new format, but until I am dragged there kicking and screaming I hope to lead them a merry chase!

THANK YOU for the help!

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 10:52:55 2016

For anyone else suffering the same -- one other thing I am going to try is saving several of these listings that are still working, as a "template" - since eBay still allows that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Sep 20 13:28:27 2016

Have you ever used TurboLister?  Ebay is going to get rid of it later next summer, but it is free and you could download it and store all the listings you want for now.

Those of us that use TL are considering our other options in the coming months.  I'm sure it will get discussed here again as we get closer to Ebay closing it or stopping the support of the program.  But for now.  It could take the sting off for you as far as storing.  And you can store far more than you probably need.  I personally have about 4,000 listing sitting in mine.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 17:14:55 2016

Thank you but I never investigated TurboLister.

I am lucky if I can get a dozen or so listings up in a week. They go up and I do not need to store anything - so far the ''finish your listing'' or ''templates'' have worked. Or I store ''generic'' information in a word processing file or two.

I may have sold 4,000 items since I started on eBay in 1998?

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 20 17:16:18 2016

My problem in particular is with the new form not providing blanks for me to fill in information as I was before.

Example, in REVISE ITEM, there is NO place to add any "Item Specifics."

I'm really grateful for all the comments and suggestions! Thank you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Sep 20 18:06:26 2016

That's a real problem since many things require ISBs [items specific box] to be filled in.  You really need to call Ebay and see what is going on.  Something just isn't right for you that is for sure.  I wish I could be of more assistance.

by: TrickyMick This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 21 11:16:35 2016

I called CS and they opted me out... I had no option this time to do so myself.

This user has validated their user name. by: wwb2016

Wed Sep 21 22:49:00 2016

Opting out is no longer an option. This has been made a permanent change to eBay (the new listing tool).

If you need help figuring it out or are having trouble, definitely call eBay customer support! They're ready and excited to help guide you through this. It's much easier, but may take a little getting to know, just like any new thing.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Wed Sep 21 23:01:13 2016

Wwb2016 thanks for your participation. Please ID yourself as an eBay employee in the future.