Thu Sept 8 2016 17:03:02

Any Way to Retrieve a Bouncing Misdirected Package?

By: Reader

I have a problem that maybe some of your readers can help me with. On July 27th I shipped a package to Australia first class international from eBay printed a eBay label. On July 31st it was in Austria. On Sept 1st it was back in US. On Sept 4th it was sent back to Austria. Now it is saying Orgin post is preparing shipment which will probably take another month.

I called the post office and they told me that a machine reads the label. I checked to make sure the address and label was correct. They told me the package was coming back to me but instead it has went back to Austria. I ask will Austria forward it to Australia and they said no they will send it back to US.

What I'm concerned about is when it comes back to US they will send it back to Austria again. There was not much the post office said they could do but just hope along the way it will get sent in the right direction.

Anybody know anything I can do to retrieve this package - otherwise it could just keep going back and forth.

My buyer has been so understanding. She wants to wait for the package to arrive instead of refunding her. I told her if she gets tired of waiting let me know and I will refund her. But I just need to know how to get this package to her.

If anybody would know if there is anything I can do it would be so appreciated.
Margaret

Any Way to Retrieve a Bouncing Misdirected Package   Any Way to Retrieve a Bouncing Misdirected Package

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 17:59:03 2016

Best thing you can do is put an OFFICIAL missing parcel enquiry in with the Post Office. It will also help if your customer opens one on that end too, a double pronged attack. Parcels going to Australia are TERRIBLE for this-I've had it happen 3 times now. One parcel was found kicking around in the Barbados-when it finally arrived 8 weeks later it had a red STAMP on it that said "Routed in error by the Post Office to Barbados"...Like this happens often enough that they needed a stamp made!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Sep 8 21:39:38 2016

A similar thing happened to me. A package was sent from a city in Canada near the boarder with Washington State to me in California. Instead of just going south to California, the post office sent the package to the East Coast, where it bounced between post offices in two states back there. I talked with the postmaster of my post office, who stated there was nothing he could do and just hoped that it finally got directed to the correct ZIP Code. About a week later I finally did receive the package, which was about a month from the time it was mailed.

by: phantom This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 9 00:45:23 2016

Do you really think that postal employees know the difference between Austria and Austrailia ?

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 9 10:14:22 2016

> Do you really think that postal employees know the difference between
> Austria and Australia ?

I believe they have a long and rich history involving Mexico and New Mexico, too. :-)

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 9 13:41:06 2016

@quirkyantiques,

''Best thing you can do is put an OFFICIAL missing parcel enquiry in with the Post Office.''

Does this work for First Class International? If so, how do you register a complaint?

According to the USPS website, ''The Postal Service does not accept inquiries for ordinary letters, First-Class Package International Service parcels, Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes, Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes, or M-bags.''

--David

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 9 13:52:27 2016

No, there's nothing you can do other than wait.

In my experience, the packages DO get forwarded to the correct country rather than returned.

Since most USPS label formats are poor quality with a small font, we've been attaching our own address labels on the back side of the packages. We include the address, e-mail and phone when available. This second address gets laminated with clear tape. We do the same for domestic. We also mark the destination country with yellow highlighter. Even with all that, our packages still get misrouted!

--David

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 10 10:13:42 2016

I've shipped a couple of parcels to Australia and I've always but the country name in big bold print and underlined it. Perhaps I should add "NOT in Europe!" to that, or "Down Under!" Maybe "Next to New Zealand" would help, or 'Go to the South Pacific, and continue to Indian Ocean!"

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 10 10:22:06 2016

@exwdh-uggh guess you're out of luck then :O(
I won't send anything overseas at a lesser service than Priority mail and especially NOT to Australia. The only things I'll send First Class mail is very low value items.

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 10 10:23:30 2016

@a_c_green- I'm pretty sure the muppets in sorting just throw a dart at a list titled "Pick an island-any island..." with stuff going to Australia!

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 11 20:30:06 2016

nothing you can do. there are billions of pieces of mail every day worldwide and this is much less than a needle in a haystack. I am having a similar problem with a mail forwarding address. My sister forwards under first name Elaine and my mother's name is Ellen. computer decides both should be forwarded!

by: puppy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 12 02:20:28 2016

I experienced this same looping problem on the domestic level. The solution to my problem (and probably other domestic packages that experience this): get someone to physically cover up the bar code the computers scan with a "return to sender" sticker. Often consumer affairs can contact a supervisor where your package is currently at and get this done. But internationally I'm sure it is much much harder.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 12 10:20:13 2016

> I experienced this same looping problem on the domestic level.

Interestingly, domestic looping is a little different: when the package at the local level is scanned as going into a container for shipment to the regional sorting office, tracking at that point switches to following the container rather than the package (since of course the package is no longer visible, but the system ''knows'' which container it's in). Should it fail to get a later scan when it's emptied from the container, the system continues to follow the container instead... which most likely continues its routine travels back and forth between the center and the branches that it services. This will cause some rather bizarre ping-pong location scans unless or until the actual package itself gets scanned someplace else.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 12 12:09:35 2016

Sent a package to the UK 3 years ago. Buyer never contacted me until this past year to say she didn't receive it and had a screen shot of payment. Nothing I could do as it had been too long. I told buyer 2 and 1/2 yrs was too long to wait to contact a seller and that I was sorry but there was no way for me to confirm or trace the package. I told her I would do what I could but I couldn't do anything as it turned out. 3 months later she sent another screen shot-the package had been delivered. She waited 3 years for a $60 item. Definitely unusual for an ebay buyer, but she did provide the proof. Strange things happen, in this case I think her package was held in UK customs.

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 13 13:54:03 2016

One day while at one of the cargo terminals at the Fort Lauderdale airport, I met a fellow who imported frozen deer meat from New Zealand.

He mentioned that one shipment was erroneously sent to Chicago, then on to a second wrong city, and back again to Chicago.  Back and forth went his melting deer meat.

The shipment did eventually find it's way to Fort Lauderdale, a few weeks late.

Can't remember if the fellow claimed his rather smelly shipment or not.