Tue Sept 6 2016 14:54:12

Sellers Can Find Cheaper UPS Rates than on eBay

By: Reader

I thought perhaps you may be reporting on UPS's newly announced rate hikes for 2017, so I wanted to share with you some information concerning "eBay's special pricing program for UPS" that you may not be aware of.

One would expect that this "special pricing" is some sort of exclusive discount for eBay sellers. Well, unfortunately, it is not what it seems.

Yes, it is a discount off the standard base pricing, however the discount is less than the discounts UPS offers their lowest tier customers - those who ship between $.01 and $49.99 average per week, and has signed a service agreement.

Here's an example: a package weighing between 6-10lbs, shipping ground residential to any of the lower 48 states; UPS discount on transportation charges: 14% eBay special pricing discount: 10%.

If this same package was going to a commercial address; UPS discount: 16%, eBay discount; 10%.

The more you spend on average per week, the wider the disparity. The numbers I used here are the lowest tier discounts.

What this boils down to is this. eBay's special pricing program is not a bargain at all. On the contrary, those of us who have been relying on this program have been paying a premium on shipping costs.

I didn't realize this until, a shipping issue caused me to contact UPS customer service. I was then referred to a sales rep. who compared numbers with me. To say the least, I was shocked. I would have thought that eBay would carry enough clout in the shipping world to be able to negotiate something better than this.

My suggestion, if any of your readers are signed up for the so called UPS/eBay discounts, contact UPS today to see if you can do better. I am a very low volume UPS shipper, as most of my shipments go USPS. So, if I can do better than the eBay discounts, anybody can.

Thank you!
D.

Sellers Can Find Cheaper UPS Rates than on eBay   Sellers Can Find Cheaper UPS Rates than on eBay

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 6 23:46:00 2016

eBay DID negotiate a better rate - for themselves.

They pocket the difference ... as theres only so much FVF and theft from returns that eBay can cook up..... gotta get the next revenue stream for the next golden parachute somehow!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Sep 7 02:09:45 2016

I would really question the UPS being lower. UPS and Fedex tack on surcharges on many packages including residential. When customer service reps quote prices, they always seem to leave off these added costs.

Cable and other companies purposely leave off all the taxes and extras when customers try to get a better deal. When that bill comes the following month, the customer finds out that the better deal you brilliantly negotiated was not so great and in many cases higher.

It is the little fine print and what they are not telling you upfront, is how these companies dupe the customer.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Sep 7 07:55:52 2016

Pace 306 says "eBay DID negotiate a better rate - for themselves.They pocket the difference"

Yes, that's classic eBay. Looking out only for themselves. They don't give a flying fig about their customers. And it wasn't enough to get the profits of the discount, they have to take part of our shipping fees too.

I'm guessing on some level though that they were involved and supported the ePacket deal that the Chinese get.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 7 08:42:27 2016

Rex :)

If you recall - Amazon had to negotiate the same kind of deal at the same time (USPS raises EVERYONE at the same time) and AMAZON kept the old rates.

That means that they A) are so much better at negotiating rates then eBay that its laughable (believable since most at eBay re dopes) B) Amazon ate the difference themselves C) eBay had nothing to negotiate to begin with since (though the think they do (aka why they deserve money on shipping) they DONT SHIP ANYTHING D) DID get a better deal and kept the difference.

NONE of those options are any good, though eBay doesnt care. SOMEONE has to pay for the NEXT golden parachute, may as well beat up your sellers and get it from them.

(Its sort of like the Mafia, but they are in San Jose)

by: linda carreras This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 7 11:11:58 2016

It seem to me that foreign sellers, esp. the Chinese, have  impacted the
market a great deal.  I feel eBay should Look after its LOYAL SELLERS and take into consideration of their long time contribution to eBay, the business and  thousand of happy customers.  I have about about the shipping rate hike and I was told by sellers whom I purchase items from that ithe Post Master is to be blamed. ( According to the comments here, has eBay replied regarding their secret cut?)
Secondly, I read a letter from a long time eBay seller few minutes ago that he was pushed out of eBay because he had received 2 negative marks out
Of 1200 happy customers due to Ebays 'high standards' and unwillingness to weigh the situation in a fair manner. I was shocked!  Is it true?  Thank you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 7 12:58:17 2016

@Pace

I agree that in some cases Amazon does a better job negotiating rates, but sometimes they don't.  Ebay negotiated a much better international rate with USPS for FCP.  And with Amazon, they did negotiate better PM rates than Ebay did, but they made the mistake of announcing that and they aren't suppose to do that, so they lost the discount.

**************************

Are we presuming that Ebay is pocketing the difference on UPS rates?  Or is there something someone found that supports that?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Sep 7 14:52:38 2016

Marie, I would be willing to bet money that they are pocketing the difference, but what would they gain by making that public?  eBay have never been known for transparency.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 7 14:58:26 2016

Rexford, I don't expect them to make it public on their own.  But just saying that is what they are doing with no outside facts to support it, makes it merely gossip.  Nothing more.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 7 15:08:39 2016

I get it that Ebay gives us plenty of reason to distrust them. But claiming they are doing something with no facts, only assumptions, does not make a fact.  I'm not sticking up for Ebay.  I'm simply saying that just throwing stuff out there as if you know it to be a fact, when you have nothing to back it up except your personal opinion or feelings can be counter productive.

It is the same when we were all back in school and we use to gossip about each other.  Sometimes that had an affect never intended, we were just kids speaking from what we could create in our minds.  It didn't make it true then and it doesn't make it true now.

So if you are willing to say that Ebay is pocketing the difference on UPS packages, does that mean that Amazon is pocketing the difference on USPS FCP International rates? For me, I don't think so and won't until I see some evidence that these things are true.  Anything is possible.  I'm not saying one way or the other.  If they are doing it or if they aren't.  I'm ONLY saying where is the support for the statement, other than just other posters repeating it.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 7 20:07:54 2016

Marie :)

Well..........

1) if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - then it is a duck no? Amazon got a better rate, what's ebays excuse?

2) eBay does many many quasi illegal things - including but not limited to allowance and encouragement of counterfeit, Facilitating of returns fraud, Active listings fraud, VERO FRAUD, and other things to numerous to list.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 8 00:16:44 2016

Pace

Ebay got a better rate for FCP International with USPS, so what's Amazon's excuse?

I have a great deal of respect for you and what you offer to us here all the time.  But just because Ebay has done many other things that are certainly not above board that does NOT mean they are doing what was suggested earlier on the thread.

Again, I'm NOT defending them.  I'm just saying this is merely gossip and venting, nothing more.

''So when there's a question of whether or not a specific eBay action is or is not  willfull -concrete proof isn't required - is it?''  I couldn't more strongly disagree with a blanket statement like that.

Over the years there have been many articles on this very site where people get a letter posted because they are having a particular problem.  When regular posters start posting on that thread it is much like this one.  They are blinded by their distaste and distrust of Ebay and immediately attack them.  Blaming Ebay is such an easy thing to do as they give us lots of reasons to do so.  But time and time again, the person writing the letter actually handled something incorrectly or otherwise made an error.  It wasn't Ebay after all, it was the OP's error.  Yet that makes no difference to many posters here they just continue to blame Ebay.

It's kind of like that old story of crying wolf.  Do it too many times and no one really listens anymore.  Same happens here.  It is just stuff that gets said over and over and over again.

I'm an account by trade.  I just like facts.  It is just my nature.  I call things as I see them, but I try not to presume stuff.  I'm certainly not perfect at it, but I do try to keep that in mind.

by: Ichabod This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 00:33:41 2016

If you will recall, a while back I sent you a note telling you about how standard shipping cost more than priority mail on a package I was sending and how I could get almost the same price through my own personal account with USPS even after my "ebay discount" and then made some comment about what ebay's "negotiating" must have been like when they met with USPS people. Sounds to me like they have been sandbagging and putting the screws to their sellers. I could be wrong but this is two shippers now that offer as good or better rates to the small guy than ebay seems to be able to manage.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Sep 8 07:08:56 2016

Marie, in a court of law circumstantial evidence can be just as influential as direct evidence.  You are definitely someone who requires direct evidence.

As you likely know, eBay's track record of honesty, integrity, ethics and transparency come back to haunt them. They lost their sellers' trust long, long ago. Once trust is lost, it is almost impossible to get it back.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 08:54:05 2016

Marie :)

there are alot of people - myself included - that have an axe to grind against eBay - but its not because we "have nothing better to do" or are covering OUR mistakes.

Its SIMPLY because eBays ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL is based on fraud and theft.

Of course you (or anyone else) is free to disagree - but in EVERY ONE of my dealings with eBay since 1998, each and every time its always been - "how can we screw the seller".

I just had ANOTHER VERO/T&S "fraud" issue again last night (happened AFTER my last post) and had 60 listings pulled. "The problem IS - that I followed (and I have the email from eBay to prove it) VEROs EXACT instructions - yet they were STILL pulled ... why? Why didnt eBay step in and say "we told the seller what to do and its IN COMPLIANCE with our rules and US trade laws"? But no - as usual - eBay was absent and could care less. When it comes to standing up for sellers - they are ALWAYS absent, ALWAYS.

Yes they got a better rate on ONE thing - what about the rest?

Amazon - and by NO MEANS are they angels of any kind - has an incentive NOT to help get better rates at all. They make more money when you do FBA - so logically - it would be better for them to let USPS raise rates in hopes that it would spur more sellers to do FBA - but they didnt. They dealt with it the CORRECT way - they went to bat for their sellers, eBay .. did NOT.

We can of course agree to disagree :) "I love you just the same" - but years and years of eBay ALWAYS screwing sellers, always stealing and condoning theft from sellers, ALWAYS taking the low road in any situation, lying to various authorities (are you a managed marketplace or just a venue), advocating on behalf of Chinese sellers who dont have to play by the rules WE have to ... and on and on.

To your point - do I have %100 CONCRETE proof that eBay did what I said they did - no I wasnt there at the meeting - but the way sometimes to measure something is by the results it produces and work BACKWARDS. As someone with a scientific background - I see the results and ask HOW were they achieved. Either eBay didnt try very hard to get better pricing or they kept the difference - and when it comes to shipping (EVEN TOOLGUY) admits eBay will DO ANYTHING to get their fingers in to that pie - even when they have NOTHING to do with shipping. Why do they deserve FVFs on something they arent involved in? They get a slice from Pitney Bose - is that NOT enough?

by: kvl1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 09:03:08 2016

Marie: Thank you for being the voice of reason in all of your posts.  I value your contributions to this forum because they are well-researched and true. I always seek out your responses.

Although I learn something useful from other posters, too, more often I am wading through the same, old vitriol, which is an irritating waste of my time.  For the record, I have been a seller on eBay for more than a decade, and yes, I get very frustrated with them for certain policy changes. But repeatedly throwing unsubstantiated mud around is not helpful to anyone.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 8 09:59:25 2016

@ pace306

"Its SIMPLY because eBays ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL is based on fraud and theft."

You don't really believe this and if you do it explains why you have so many problems with eBay!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Sep 8 10:04:07 2016

@ pace306

"encouragement of counterfeit,"

can you enlighten us on this so called encouragement?

eBay has NEVER asked me to list counterfeit tools EVER!

by: lalaland This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 12:27:53 2016

toolguy''

You are one fancy piece of work.  Just wondering if your birthplace reads: under a cabbage leaf.
 Your posts certainly suggest it.  Can't figure out why you are such an authority, ON EVERYTHING, when your business is so small and you sell so few items.  3 a day is a business??

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 8 12:53:14 2016

"Its SIMPLY because eBays ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL is based on fraud and theft."

Since you are unable or unwilling to understand, let me give you some examples:

1) they hide peoples listings. The TOS you agree to SAYS they can and they do so AT WILL. IN NO OTHER BUSINESS can you charge a customer for a product or service then no deliver - thats THEFT.

2) Having a page that describes "conditions for returns" and then ignoring it at will, telling sellers "it doesnt matter what you say, you can get a brick back and its OK" is fraud - theft by deception

3) having MULTIPLE service issues that effect sales and then NOT acknowledge that and refund sellers is theft

4) encouraging Chinese sellers to make copies of things (like the Pan Am bags) is counterfieting - stealing their IP and artwork

5) demanding a FVF on shipping - which they have no part of - is theft by coersion

6) creating various policies ON THE FLY and then coersing sellers to either agree or leave is coersion (ie modifying a listing because you WONT agree to what ever stupid policy San Jose thinks of.

7) providing SUBstandard CS agents who by their not knowing of the rules and policies causes losses is theft

8) Creating a VERO program that charges $150 per 1/2 to let various companies troll eBay listings and then report ANYTHING they wish to damage a seller WITHOUT PROFF OF ANY WRONG DOING - is theft

9) VERO quid pro quo aka "you open an anchor store and we shut down sellers who you tell us to - is theft

Of course I can go on - but is it really needed??

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 8 13:11:42 2016

@rexford

Prior Bad Acts is NOT the same thing circumstantial evidence.

And once AGAIN let me say I'm NOT defending Ebay.  I'm very well aware of their track record.

@pace

I NEVER said people post negative things about Ebay because they have nothing better to do.  I didn't even come close to saying that.  So please do say I've said something that I never said.

@kvl1

Thank you.  Here and in life itself I try to keep my mind open.  I'm not always successful, but I try.  I like learning things too and with an open mind that makes it much easier.  Corny but true.