Tue Aug 23 2016 08:01:47

PayPal Warnings a Mystery to This eBay Seller

By: Reader

In recent weeks, I have received three emails from PayPal concerning upcoming security upgrades. But I do not understand how the upgrades are going to affect me.

Can you explain how the new SHA-256 encryption standards are going to affect eBay sellers?
Jeffery

PayPal  Warnings a Mystery to This eBay Seller   PayPal Warnings a Mystery to This eBay Seller

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Aug 23 16:23:42 2016

Reading through this may help.

by: VintageLady This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 24 09:39:16 2016

And is this supposed to be easy or at least understandable for the average persons?
These upgrades in security should not even be discussed with the users of Paypal, we are paying for payment PROCESSING and expect the safest service.
Not sue how others see this but how does this help me as a regular Paypal user?
'' Swap out the live API credentials / API endpoints on the merchant application with the Sandbox credentials / API endpoints.
If you receive a handshake error (e.g. “No trusted certificate found”), check the merchant keystone to see if the PayPal VeriSign G5 root certification is present.
If not, download the VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority – G5 root certificate, or download the endpoint-specific SSL certificates, and put these certificates in their keystore.''

I am speechless...

by: glasspackaging This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 24 09:53:38 2016

it means something to those of us who run our own websites - specifically the usage of SSL certificates portions ... believe it or not - that can be a component of the google search alogrithm that can negatively affect placement.

For us older folk - it is gobblygook - which explains why the younger generation is needed for the future growth of some old time business (my son handles all this now for our companies)

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 24 10:01:30 2016

The same thing happened to me and I agree with Vintage Lady.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Aug 24 12:47:05 2016

While for some this may seem as an annoying useless notification, the same is not true for many others.

So lets say they stopped telling everyone about this.  PP does their upgrade.  You go in to use your PP account or someone goes to pay via PP and suddenly there are issues.

I'm betting you'd be pretty darn mad.  Then you find out to fix the problem you needed to upgrade some of your software due to PP's security upgrade.  I bet the next question you'd be asking is "Well why the heck didn't you tell me about this before doing it????"

Not everything affects people the same way.  But just because something seems unimportant to you does not mean it is unimportant.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 24 16:32:42 2016

I  would  think  that  less  people  would  be  interested  or  have  need  for  this  than  you  would  suspect!  I  would  not have  had a clue  as  to  what  this  was  or  what  to  do  with it.  And those  who  DO  need it-should  know  where  to  find it.  The way  PP  does  this is  the issue  more  than  THAT  they  do  it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Aug 24 17:05:34 2016

Oh I agree with you Comet.  But if they stopped or didn't ever send out these notifications, those it does affect could be significantly impeded in their businesses as I stated above.

But I'm with you, most likely the majority of PP users will not notice the difference.

by: lindysthings This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 24 17:24:30 2016

That link is on the Paypal Developer page. Regular sellers on Ebay will not be affected.

It states, "Upgrading is not required if you are using Website Payments Standard (the “Buy Now” buttons), or Payflow webapps only."

I believe the notice is for web developers to do what they need for the Secure Socket Layer SSL upgrade for customers' websites.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 24 17:33:08 2016

Thank  you  @MARIE.

@lindysthings---They  should  palce a LINK  to  a page where  the ionfo for  Web  developers  etc  can  GO  for those specific  needs--not  scare the REST of us  thinking  WE  need to  do something  that  we  have  no  clue  about.

by: Eagle This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 25 01:46:03 2016

I'm not a wiz when it comes to the payment processors, but I imagine the main situation is on personal website that their shopping cart is integrated with PayPal? I use Stripe payment processor on my website and they refuse to integrate with PayPal mainly because, I guess it would take commissions away from them. I've had to include language on my website stating if the customer wants to pay with PayPal they need to call us or email us their PayPal email and we can send them a PayPal invoice. It hasn't affected our sales (as far as I can tell) and the few customers that want to strictly use PayPal don't seem bothered by the time delay of placing the order. The only person affect is us. We're paying PayPal $30 a month plus transaction fees so we can service a handful of customers. We might have to send a PayPal invoice 2-4 times a month. Oh well, it's all tax deductible!

This user has validated their user name. by: IDKwhoIare

Fri Aug 26 11:58:25 2016

''They  should  palce a LINK  to  a page where  the ionfo for  Web  developers  etc  can  GO  for those specific  needs--not  scare the REST of us  thinking  WE  need to  do something  that  we  have  no  clue  about.'' - Comet

^this. @comet, You got my vote for logical approach.

What Marie said too.