Fri Aug 19 2016 22:57:11

How Is This eBay Seller Getting Automatic Feedback Removal?

By: Reader

I recently noticed eBay is automatically removing negative and neutral feedback for other sellers. One seller in particular, (redacted), has had all of her neutrals and negatives removed. Any new neutral or negative feedback is removed within a few hours.

This is a very larger seller who also sells on other venues under the name (redacted).

Can you shed any light on why/how sellers are given this benefit of automatic feedback removal?

These same feedbacks would not be removed for other sellers. Do you have any insight into what this is all about or how this seller is getting ALL of her negatives and neutrals removed?

I have screenshots of a few feedback that have been removed if you would like to see those. These are just a few. It came to our attention after all of her negative and neutral feedback disappeared.

Thank you for your help!
Cathy

How Is This eBay Seller Getting Automatic Feedback   How Is This eBay Seller Getting Automatic Feedback

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Aug 20 21:32:50 2016

The rules don't apply to eBay's mega-darlin's. So in the end, all that "great buyer experience" that eBay spouts out means nothing.  An eBay mega-darlin' can be an extremely rotten seller and eBay actually enables it by removing the trail of negatives.

Right Mr. Wenig?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 20 22:21:54 2016

If you are a LARGE reseller and you give eBay alot of FVF's and listing fees (theres a minimum set number) you can get eBay to remove your negatives if you promise that you have a fully staffed CS dept of your own.

Its another eBay game on the most uneven platform in the world.

Simply put - its more eBay corruption.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Aug 21 10:21:55 2016

I mostly agree with the others, however I've seen many of the diamond sellers that do not get their bad FB automatically removed.  But then I've seen a few that do.  Does Ebay play favorites, absolutely!  Is it fair, absolutely NOT!

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 21 18:33:19 2016

When you are teachers pet you get away with everything.

The playing field on Ebay isn't slanted its tilted. Those sellers that pay the bills get the discounts and I'm not talking the hobby or carrot jumpers here. I'm talking sellers with 1000's of feedback a month.

The rest of us are just noise.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Aug 22 00:31:13 2016

Why was the seller's name redacted? Many of use would like to investigate on our end. This is most intriguing.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 00:52:19 2016

I tried for months to get Amazon to do something about a seller that had all their negatives removed within hours so that his feedback stayed a steady 98% when in reality it should have been 40-50% tops! I sent multiple emails to seller violation and got the most incredibly stupid replies back that you could tell they were answering someone else's letter and not mine since because their reply had nothing to do with what I written to them. I've temporarily run out of time to keep checking  -- but I haven't forgotten!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 02:05:08 2016

And  IF  you  get one of those  "We  removed  feedback  from  your  account  with  out  you  begging  for it or sacrificing a goat"  emails  they  read  like  you were  singled  out  and  should  be  on  yhour  knees  to  them!  If  you  manage  to get  their  CSR's  to  remove  FB  they  act  as if  you  ought to  at  least  send  them flowers  and a nice  bottle  of wine--instead  of  it just being the job  they are PAID  to  do!

But--neither  I  nor  the Op are a mega  seller  so  we  will never  know  who  to  send  the flowers  TO.

Look  at  the  flowers-----

by: Beach Home Products This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 04:57:27 2016

We are fairly new to eBay and we know that negative feedback will come eventually. Thanks for the great articles and keep up the good work.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 10:27:29 2016

Yes it is terrible and yes a class action for this is coming soon

by: ySirTinLee This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 12:04:56 2016

I would like to have the name of this seller also. Censoring in this case is equivalent to supporting eBay's action. I am surprised!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 13:52:30 2016

%99.9 of the time - the people who are getting their negatives removed are the WORST violators of policy.

Whats worse, some person making a shipping mistake or some other small mistake or issue vs a company making 100 of them in the same time frame? Whos worse?

So the little guy made 1 or 2 mistakes - the other company made HUNDREDS.

What that tells you is that its ALL about the MONEY (duh) and NOT about customer care, NOT about fairness, NOT about abiding by policy.

Pay eBay enough money, and ALL those things disappear.

Again I mention the famous HP tablet story.

The place I USED to work for - after I left as head buy - got a new guy that thought he knew EVERYTHING. He made some deal with a guy at Best Buy who told him about a corporate deal/closeout on a specific HP tablet. $83 - $85 cost and they would sell it (match HP's online price) of $99.

The presold 1100 tablets. When the time to deliver they could only get about 125 of them. It wasnt even a function of price it was just a sheer allocation issue.

That company got 900+ negatives in the span of 2 weeks. They went from 99.7 to 93 (Ive never even seen a 93 feedback).

They and eBay called each other back no less then 50 times to try and avoid being suspended. They begged and pleaded - as well as issuing a threat that they would NO LONGER use a specific distributors feed (20K + items) and that they would leave eBay for "Amazon ONLY".

Being they are a $100 million + company eBay agreed ...... sorta

The negatives were removed, $10 gift certificates were issued along with a flowery apology letter to each customer. The company also "promised" to have a DEDICATED "eBay cs section" in its OWN CS group (it was baloney - there were 5 girls working there and they all handled everything) and an agreement was that the feeed would stay in place.

The company that sold / presold the tablets agreed - then failed to honor the $10 gift certificates and eBay removed THOSE negatives too.

The moral of the story is: eBay (as Ming and other say over and over) lie, continue to lie, always lie, will always lie and are the biggest crooks in ecommerce PERIOD.

DONT EVER believe that eBay is altruistic, that eBay cares (about anyone or about its own rules), that its NEW CEO is a different animal then the last one, that GRIFF cares 1 iota about anyone but himself, that the community (as eBay calls its message boards) are for anything more then cheerleading.

Sellers need to adopt a completely different mentality altogether if they  are to survive eBay (selling on eBay is like holding a grenade and pulling the pin - the game is to see how long you can hold it for before it blows up in your face).

USE EBAY, DONT BE USED BY EBAY.

Contact EVERY customer offline via email and get their business - use eBay to get you those customers.

Make every possible off eBay sale possible.

Cut every possible corner, pay eBay as late as possible, use every single free listing - even if its for a used napkin from last nights dinner) - do what you to make the most of eBay.

Do what you can to take as much advantage as possible of eBay - since the day is comming (it will - cause at some time your hand will get tired and the grenade WILL blow up on you)(VERO, Negatives, Returns Fraud etc). Do it to them before they do it to you.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Aug 22 18:50:35 2016

Thank you @pace306 for an informative, cautionary, amusing, alarming, strategic and comprehensive comment. I think you covered all bases. Always a pleasure reading your thoughts.

by: LifeAfterEbay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 20:29:05 2016

Reading this story gave me an ulcer in about 10 minutes. Had Ebay helped me out when I was scammed / slammed by a husband/wife scam team who HAMMERED my account with negatives last year, I'd still have a thriving Ebay business. When that class action gets going, please please post the contact info for the attorneys so I can join. I'm ready.

Leigh

om/

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 21:23:59 2016

Las 😀

Ty kindly !

I have/could/should write a book of all the criminal activities eBay has done since I've been here!

It would be many chapters including 2 or 3 just for VERO fraud alone!

Maybe if sales continue to slide......

by: FLEbaySeller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 23 08:13:51 2016

Just an update, the seller in question has had a number of other neutrals and negatives removed. Several were removed within as little as hour after they appeared.

I am saving screenshots of the feedback before it is removed showing the user ID.

I was hoping for a statement from Ebay about this issue.

More than a couple of Ebay customer service reps have said something is fishy about this.  They said they are reporting the issue and will have an investigation done, but as of today all neutral & negative feedback are being removed.

This bothers me from two standpoints:
1. As a seller, why is this seller being given preferential treatment?  If there is a program where a seller can have all feedback removed, where do I sign up for this program.
2. As a buyer, I now question each and every time I see a seller with no negative feedback.  How can I trust feedback as a buyer when I know Ebay is removing all negative and neutral feedback for select sellers?

by: Yumi This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 23 10:37:44 2016

Totally agree with the above comment,

I do wish this site would ask for an explanation from Ebay being as they do not listen to Sellers or Buyers when we complain

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 23 11:22:11 2016

I am a top rated power seller with 100% positive FB and I purchased from a seller that was not. However, she had a lot of sales and FB and earned a HUGE red negative from me from items I purchased, incl POOR customer service. As soon as I left negative FB they disappeared instantly! This was approximately 6 months ago. It was really upsetting because not only were the items literally not what I paid for but also not cut and sized to my custom requests so I could not even use them. I called eBay and they said the FB was removed because after I left the neg FB the seller decided to give me a partial refund. Of course I am wondering why that has anything to do with it as she definitely earned the neg FB I left and I felt people needed to know how my experience was. So in the end eBay said there is nothing more than can be done, once FB is removed they can't fix it so that I can add a neg again. I never got an answer as to how her FB could be so instantly removed as soon as I left it. Apparently it doesn't matter if you are a top rated power seller with my earned standing, or her standing to have the negatives removed.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 24 11:14:15 2016

> Yes it is terrible and yes a class action for this is coming soon

Wishful thinking doesn't count. If you know of specific details, please post them. For starters, cases are escalated to class status; they don't automatically start out that way. In addition, you agree to arbitration, not court action, when opening an account on eBay, so your hired legal beagle/land shark would first need to figure out how to file his way around that. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but that people pop off daily about class-action suits for this, that or the other perceived grievance against eBay, only to be never heard from again. Just one discussion with a real attorney can be a real eye-opener concerning expenses, chances of winning, whether it's worth the time, etc., so if you haven't talked to one yet, please do so.

...and I echo the question previously asked: why is the seller's name redacted? I seem to recall that a big-box seller was discussed here a few years ago now when managing to do the same thing. It was possible to view their feedback and see the Negs disappearing virtually in real time.

by: FLEbaySeller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 24 18:27:47 2016

I wish I could post the user ID.  It was in the original message.

I see the seller just got another neutral a little while ago.

It would be nice if other readers could see the feedback and the removal.