Mon Aug 15 2016 22:40:08

eBay Cosmetic Seller Finds Rival Touting 'Not Authentic' Items

By: Reader

Although I have pretty much given up on eBay I still have about 150 listings. This is down from almost a thousand last year but I have learned that eBay is not the only game in town and life moves on.

My reason for writing to you today is that I do sell cosmetics on eBay and although nothing shocks me anymore there, I was surprised to see listings of cosmetics now that will list the name, condition, etc in the listing header at the cheapest prices I have ever seen. It was not until I looked more into the listing description that I saw this almost at the end of the listing description: Matte Lipstick! Brand New! Not authentic!

I have checked numerous listings of this one brand and found this to be the case in several of the listings such as here (redacted) (this one is called a high quality replica). The list goes on and on and this is happening with many brands other than the one I looked up (Mac).

I am sure Mac would not like the fact that people are advertising replica's, clones and fake lipsticks, and as I look I realize that there are very few honest items of these brands even available. The fake items are made in China and honestly no one knows the ingredients or what goes into these items so I am completely puzzled why anyone would put one of these on their lips let alone their eyes for the fake listings for eye makeup.

I am disgusted that eBay is in the business of allowing all of these fake items and fake brands to be sold. I am sure most of the buyers probably didn't read the listings and don't even realize that they aren't authentic products.

As a cosmetic seller that only sells authentic items, I cannot compete with these cheap prices to sell original authentic items. I think eBay is shadier than ever and I couldn't be more disgusted with them over this. I hope that you will print this to see if anyone else has noticed this and if so what their take is on this.

Please keep my name, email and seller id private.
S.

eBay Cosmetic Seller Finds Rival Touting 'Not Auth   eBay Cosmetic Seller Finds Rival Touting 'Not Auth

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 16 06:44:07 2016

Ebay is full of chinese knock offs. Cosmetics is not the only catagory that is affected.

Its a bottom line thing with ebay so if you are a buyer you must ALWAYS FOLLOW THE GOLDEN RULE.

IF ITS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE ITS PROBABLY A FAKE.

BUYER BEWARE AND READ ALL THE DESCRIPTION NOT JUST THE FIRST LINE.

AND then if you still decide to buy you have no reason to whine.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Aug 16 07:08:48 2016

If they are using the brand name but claiming the item is not authentic, report them directly to the cosmetic company's intellectual property attorney. I am sure if you explain the situation with anyone receptionist who answers the phone they will put you right through.

eBay will do nothing about their China darlings offenses but one call from an attorney sends them scrambling.

And you are right--who knows what is in that knock-off.

Wasn't it a few years ago where eBay was actually providing the Chinese with a list of popular selling items to "knock off"?  Faux Pan Am bags come to mind.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Aug 16 12:24:56 2016

@Rexford - Yes! That was an article here on this blog. Our buddy Wenig was telling the Chinese what were big sellers so they could manufacture "new vintage" items. eBay is complicit in the fakery that is rampant on the site, so unless they get a cease and desist letter they'll just keep on keeping on.

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 16 12:27:19 2016

Excellent advice from Rexford. It's about time VERO was sent after the RIGHT people. If it's impacting YOUR legitimate business then contact the maker of the products that are being sold under their brand name while disclosing in the listing that the item is a fake. Email them a copy of such listings.This is the ONLY way these items will be removed-Ebay cares nothing about people selling fakes as long as Ebay makes money off it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Aug 16 17:31:07 2016

For Vero to come after them, they first have to find the listings and the brand has to be a member of Vero.

Here is a list of their members.

Here is a link to contact Vero.

Reporting these types of listings directly to Ebay in my experience serves no purpose except to further frustrate me.  In all my years on Ebay, I've never had them pay attention to ANY listing I've ever reported.  Not one single time.  And I've been on Ebay over 17 years.

Then there are those types of listings that do not constitute a Vero violation, but just a violation of Ebay rules.  I've shared this listing many before, but it is a really good example.

-provide-baby-showers-for-expectant-military-/172273531895?hash=item281c4d7bf7:g:P6cAAOSwyDxXh8~b

It
violates almost every rule Ebay has regarding charity listings, yet Ebay does nothing about it.  In fact Toys R Us appears to be PROFITING on the listing just to add further insult to those that offer legit charity listings.  Look at the shipping fee.  Why would there be a shipping fee?  Shipping fees on donation listings go to the seller to cover the costs of whatever it is they are shipping out.  it is only the principal amount that goes to the charity.  There are other issues, but this is extremely obvious.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 17 01:07:10 2016

I too would be worried about what chemicals or contents were in makeup direct from China. Especially in a country that touts urine in medicinal.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 17 18:43:36 2016

VERO like eBay is pay for play.

eBay wont even stop people for stealing your listing pictures, never mind going after people "you say are selling fakes".

Unless eBay itself is threatened (lawsuit) or a company they have a monentary interest in (large seller), eBay wont do a thing.

eBay as a company policy, as a method of doing business - depends on, relys on, encourages THEFT in all its forms.

Why stop at stealing from your sellers when stealing from a company will do?

Why bother with the small potatoes, when you can profit from the theft on a WHOLESALE basis.

Like a rotten fish, eBay and its reputation speaks for itself - NOTHING should surprise you, NOTHING.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 18 06:38:03 2016

pace, this is why sellers need to go straight to the manufacturer with evidence. Believe me, they will act.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Aug 18 15:14:15 2016

Up in NYC this past weekend and fake name brand cosmetics were being sold right on the streets of Manhattan. All looked exactly like the real thing but given the cheap price you know they were fakes.

Buyers are being duped especially with fake items being sold as authentic. Buyers may not even see the words "Not Authentic" with eBay's disgusting practice of hiding descriptions and cutting off half the titles. How much lower can eBay devolve?

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 22 16:32:25 2016

Have to agree with pace306. Ebay no longer cares if sellers steal pictures from one another even with copyrights or their names right in the middle of the picture. Ebay has done nothing but encourage thefts and as you say, nothing should surprise me anymore. I guess it doesn't but it infuriates me.