Wed Aug 10 2016 15:37:41

Connection between eBay Outages and Seller Promotions?

By: Reader

I was reading your recent article about eBay promotions and was curious if other readers or you notice the same thing I do.

I first started noticing this a few years ago when the site outages were horrific after the "hack." Seems liked every time there was an outage a few days later the "list 1,000,000 million listings for free" would appear.

I am sure you could see the EKG timeline and Promotion article correlations as well. Just curious?
Stuart

Connection between eBay Outages and Seller Promoti   Connection between eBay Outages and Seller Promoti

by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 10 19:52:07 2016

Not only that i've noticed that during those promos i usually have little to no sales.

FWIW i took that 500 listing offer, might as well take advantage if i can. Roll the dice and at least get more stuff up there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 11 06:59:39 2016

I thought they were doing away with these promos after they raised store prices. All they do is kill sales and if the OP is right they apparently cause outages.

Nothing like paying for a store while they simultaneously give the store away.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 11 07:09:12 2016

I will take the free listings and get what I can out there. I am still working on my other sites to get them up and running.

I don't have the 500 items but I do have 400 items. About 2/3 of them have become "relisting" items. But there is a window of time while relisting that my older items seem to come to view where 10-20 of them will sell on this 500 promo.

If eBay would get rid of the "cassini" search, and let the search be open, people would be finding things and there would be more sales and that they may have double figure growth since they would be collecting more fees.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 11 12:13:38 2016

Wishful thinking but overthinking never the less.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 11 12:23:02 2016

Thank  you @INGDONG!  Yes--Cassini  (CantSeeME)  is  THE  most absurd  and  restrictive  feature  ever.  It  does  not  and never has  WORKED.  It  keeps  eyes  OFF  most  sellers  items  and even  when using exact  same title  search  you  cannot  FIND  items  you  know are  there--oft  times  you  have to Google  to get TO  the items  listed  on--EBAY.

However as per usual  ebay  would  rather  throw  out  some  absurd  "30  Days!"  or  "Good  Till  Forgotten!"  bone  to  us instead of FIXING  THE PROBLEMS  so we CAN  actually  sell  things.

I  used to not  mind  paying  the minor  fees TO  list  when  almost  everything  I did list sold  on one or two  listings.  Now?  I  have  things  that  SHOULD  have sold  sitting  on  there for a YEAR.  Others  like  them listed  for MORE  have sold--why  are  my  items not selling?  I  will get a tiny  "flurry"  from  one part  of the country  and then--nothing  for  weeks.  It  is absurd.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Aug 11 14:05:20 2016

I don't see what the OP sees.  It has been rare for me to get invited to a promotion after having some type of Ebay glitch or problem.  Well other than the lower sales since early 2014.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 14 12:34:56 2016

Stuart, The part that MOST resonates with me is your paragraph " All eBay Promos like this come after major site outages. Is it really a promo or a proactive legal move to protect eBay? eBay can always come back and say, well we offered $5 trillion dollars' worth of discounts even though only $50K was used."  That $5 Trillion vs $50k in real value is exactly how I saw that overnight ridiculous increase in the cost of an ANCHOR "store" on eBay. $180/mo to $300/mo OverNight with the supposed benfits the STRONGLY DUBIOUS "dedicated customer service department for ANCHOR stores" to ridiculously large numbers of "comp'd" listing fees. At a NICKLE per new listing I would have needed to UP my listings from 1,500 to nearly 5,000 in a single month. Not a hope in Hades that that could have taken place.

by: ebayisscrewed This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 29 14:55:02 2016

So after all of the site outages over the weekend and with the one Today - The worst I have ever seen in 17 years on eBay.  It will be interesting to see if a big promotion comes in a day or so.  I think we will see one.